manal_mansoor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really hope someone could help me with this. It would be great
Well I'm confused as hell because:

1. I'm planning to do my AS level at one school and A2 in the other, would that be possible?
2. If I take 6 subjects in AS level, would that be equivalent to one whole A level?

I need to do A level but I'm worried I don't mess up in any way. Thanks x
becketts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That would be hard, because you would most likely have to switch exam boards, and the AS level is only compatible with an A2 of the same exam board. So, you'd end up with 6 AS levels (this is a high number- is this manageable?) and you would most likely not be allowed to take the A2 exams, as you would not have completed the suitable AS exams.

Try to do about 4 AS and A2s in the same school. Good luck- hope it works out for you.
qewrtyu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you want to do AS in one school and A2 in another school anyway?
JamesJones777
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by manal_mansoor)

1. I'm planning to do my AS level at one school and A2 in the other, would that be possible?
2. If I take 6 subjects in AS level, would that be equivalent to one whole A level?

I need to do A level but I'm worried I don't mess up in any way. Thanks x
1.) Yes it should be but I think it would have to be the same exam board though.

2.) Do not take 6 subjects, there are people who take four with all A* and As at GCSE and some of them struggle with it. I would suggest 3 or 4 but I know of very few people who managed 5. An A level is comprised of AS and A2 you need to complete both sets of exams to be awarded an A level.
Georgia22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have to be sure they're on the same exam board because if they're not you'll have to do the AS again to do the A2. I guess 6 AS subjects could be equivalent in terms of UCAS points but if you're planning on going to uni they will want you to have your A2s for you to get an offer. I think 6 subjects is probably too many, most people do 4 and drop to 3 at A2 or else the workload becomes way too much.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are these 6 proper AS levels or are you including stuff like general studies, critical thinking, citizenship?

If not... good luck mate
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by manal_mansoor)

1. Ignore what all the other posters have said about the A2 having to be with the same exam board, it is not true. It is possible to switch boards for the majority of subjects, it's called a transfer of credit and the rules and what can swap where are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/e...sfer-of-credit However, there are mismatches between content and style and it takes a while to swap board mentally. Also, it is likely that the subjects you are doing at one school may not all be offered at another or not timetable at another (most 6th form timetable by option blocks and you pick a subject from each. If 2 subjects you do only appear in the same option block then you cannot attend lessons for both.) Do not assume it will work without some research.
  2. No. As AS level is half and A level but most universities will ask for certain grades at A level, e.g. AAB. Even the ones that ask for UCAS points generally have some qualifiers, e.g. 300 points, at least 200 of which must be from 2 A levels. You will need full A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.58%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.71%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (524)
48.65%

Watched Threads