The Student Room Group

how to become a pilot?

Are there university courses you can do? What are the conventional routes?

Thanks!
Original post by Sifr

Thanks!

It depends on what sort of pilot you want to be, but there is no one clear route to take.

- civil aviation - have a look at BA's Future Pilot scheme (other equivalent programmes with other airlines are available). They don't require a degree, but whilst they claim not to require flying experience, anecdotally (I've got a couple of friends who have been through the process) it would seem that the vast majority of successful applicants do have flying experience, commonly in gliding.

- military - again, no degree needed, but having a degree will (I believe) allow you to rise faster within the military. Have a look at the Air Cadets and UOTC.

- recreational - most pilots out there are recreational pilots, and there's a lot to be said for it. It doesn't have to be expensive - gliding is a relatively cheap air sport (£7 for a winch launch + instruction + first 10 minutes of flying + use of the glider for that flight is fairly typical) and requires a lot of skill (I did once come across someone who flew for BA as his day job, but went gliding at the weekends, "because gliding is real flying") www.gliding.co.uk Have a look for unis that have gliding clubs as part of their students' union - there's a list on the website I just linked, but it's rather out of date (about 4 years), so make sure you verify it first.

Do be wary of degrees that come with 'pilot studies' or similar. Not only will (a) they require more money on top of your tuition fees for the flying instruction element of the degree, and (b) they don't really fit you for much anyway. Most of the numerous recreational pilots I know (+ a couple who've gone on to become professional civil / military pilots) have engineering degrees - commonly, but not always, aeronautical engineering - but that's not a requirement by any means.
Reply 2
I know four young guys that have "become" pilots lately. Only one is actually flying an aeroplane.

Three of them did Commercial Pilot licenses at enormous cost. One of these can't get a job and is selling stuff on ebay out of his bedroom. One can't get a pilot job and is working as cabin crew for a budget airline. The other one was offered a pilot contract after two years unemployment and flew to Qatar to start, only to find the contract wasn't as agreed, and he had to come back home. This was a year ago and he still doesn't have a job.

The final guy was truly an elite. He joined the air force as a pilot and sailed through everything and he swans about the country/world now training and flying fast jets, and in four years has yet to be deployed.

It's tough out there, and there is no link between the number of jobs and the number of people willing to sell you training.
I have honestly wondered this so much, apparently they like mathematical skills, but that is all I know :dontknow:

I would love that so much, even the uniform
Original post by Sifr

Thanks!

Hi Sifr,

There's a great sticky thread in the Property, Construction, Transport and Logistics subforum that should tell you most of what you need to know!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1927663

HTH

S
I do believe the easiest method (cheapest) to become a pilot is to get into the RAF. Then, after one has completed one's service, commercial airlines are more than happy to take one as a pilot.

Or, by going to a flight school.
I looked into this a couple of years ago, from what I remember to become a pilot through BA it cost in the region of £100k or so.
Original post by EatAndRevise
I do believe the easiest method (cheapest) to become a pilot is to get into the RAF. Then, after one has completed one's service, commercial airlines are more than happy to take one as a pilot.

Or, by going to a flight school.

As good as EatAndRevise's intentions are OP, do not consider applying to the RAF if you only want to be commercial pilot. The two jobs are not really that related and it's a common misconception that you can easily get a job with an Airline after leaving, 20 years later! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending