Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is time ? Is it all just an illusion? Humanity allow it to govern everything, but is it all something we have just created ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to think it doesn't. I'm a proponent of Einstein's block model of time which purports that past and future are merely illusions and that all events are occurring in the now, simultaneously, in the Ever Moment. So yes, in that sense I would say that the way we experience time is an illusion.

It is, however, a rather useful illusion, otherwise we'd experience every moment of our lives simultaneously which would be very confusing and incomprehensible to say the least!

ReputationRep:
    Wow deep thread idea. I like it

I say no it doesn't exist because we made it to bring a sense of order into our lives. That being said I don't think we should just ignore time altogether. It's pretty useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As time can be distorted, it must exist.

ReputationRep:
    Define existence.

Spoiler:
    Show
    checkm8

ReputationRep:
    This is hurting my head.

But from what I understood, I agree with Plantagent Crown.

I've always had a theory that it's completely an illusion what you see and that perhaps everyone else around you is 'living' in the past or future... That probably made no sense and made me sound like an idiot, whoops

ReputationRep:
    Check it out in your own experience right now. Does the past or future exist anywhere except as a thought about it in the present? Can anyone show me the past? It's always right now, except that's become cliched, and subtly suggests 'now' as a unit of time. Perhaps 'eternal' fits better.

Of course, on the relative level time exists. It's a concept but concepts are just that, we live with them but they're not real but the illusion is real.
    Some things the mind can't conceive of, the nature of reality is one of them because it's beyond concept and the mind only knows duality.
    That's why the zen guys use koans, so the mind gives it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'm inclined to think it doesn't. I'm a proponent of Einstein's block model of time which purports that past and future are merely illusions and that all events are occurring in the now, simultaneously, everything is occurring in the Ever Moment. So yes, in that sense I would say that the way we experience time is an illusion.

It is, however, a rather useful illusion, otherwise we'd experience every moment of our lives simultaneously which would be very confusing and incomprehensible to say the least!
    The arrow of time exists because all events are contingent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es98)
    What is time ? Is it all just an illusion? Humanity allow it to govern everything, but is it all something we have just created ?
    I'm not sure I'd describe the illusion as something we have created because as far as I'm aware we haven't consciously created time's flow or the way we experience its passage. After all, we wouldn't be able to experience everything occurring at once, even if we wanted to.

It may well however, be a consequence of our biology and the way our consciousness/mind/brain makes sense of it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'd describe the illusion as something we have created because as far as I'm aware we haven't consciously created time's flow or the way we experience its passage. After all, we wouldn't be able to experience everything occurring at once, even if we wanted to.

It may well however, be a consequence of our biology and the way our consciousness/mind/brain makes sense of it all.
    I don't think we have created it but we are incredibly conscious of it's momentous effects, as a species we have created clocks etc.. In order to keep track of time, theoretically we could travel back in time but the results could potentially be disastrous and have huge implications upon the present tense

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if time is circular not linear. Eventually we go back to the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es98)
    I don't think we have created it but we are incredibly conscious of it's momentous effects, as a species we have created clocks etc.. In order to keep track of time, theoretically we could travel back in time but the results could potentially be disastrous and have huge implications upon the present tense
    Well I'm no expert on the theoretical nature of time travel, but from what I've heard it would be impossible to travel into the past, we could only go into the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es98)
    It's something humans created to give our lives more meaning, purpose, and routine.
    There's no such thing as time outside of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm no expert on the theoretical nature of time travel, but from what I've heard it would be impossible to travel into the past, we could only go into the future.
    You're travelling into the future as we speak the real trick is to travel into the future 'faster' than the rest of the universe... as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is a measure of change.

ReputationRep:
    It's something to do with black holes and pressure I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emememily733)
    It's something humans created to give our lives more meaning, purpose, and routine.
    There's no such thing as time outside of humanity.
    I wouldn't say we 'created' time. We discretized and named it, yes, but the continuous flow of it has been there before even we realised it existed.

If you mean outside of the 'flow' of time we live in, yes I suppose it wouldn't exist, at least not our understanding of time. But if all of humanity were to disappear tomorrow 'time' would still pass by, it's just that nothing on the planet would call it time.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I believe time is the tugging effects of other dimensions which share some but not all of the dimensions of our physical universe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    I wouldn't say we 'created' time. We discretized and named it, yes, but the continuous flow of it has been there before even we realised it existed.

If you mean outside of the 'flow' of time we live in, yes I suppose it wouldn't exist, at least not our understanding of time. But if all of humanity were to disappear tomorrow 'time' would still pass by, it's just that nothing on the planet would call it time.

But does time pass? Or does everything, past, present and future exist at the same time in different parts of the universe? I think "time passing" is just an illusion .. And when I say we created time, obviously I don't mean we made it, that's not possible, I just mean, we noticed moments passing, put a date on a calendar, a clock on the wall and called it time. Humans live in a very teeny tiny area of the universe and we can only conceive and process so much information before it becomes overwhelming, we need the illusion of time to function ..
    Meh , I don't like thinking about it, it gives me a headache

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emememily733)
    But does time pass? Or does everything, past, present and future exist at the same time in different parts of the universe? I think "time passing" is just an illusion .. And when I say we created time, obviously I don't mean we made it, that's not possible, I just mean, we noticed moments passing, put a date on a calendar, a clock on the wall and called it time. Humans live in a very teeny tiny area of the universe and we can only conceive and process so much information before it becomes overwhelming, we need the illusion of time to function ..
    Meh , I don't like thinking about it, it gives me a headache
    I suppose it'd be big of me to assume the laws of physics that we have defined apply to the rest of the universe, so there is a possibility. Although I think I just don't like calling time an 'illusion', it makes me feel like I'm being tricked into experiencing something that doesn't exist, and I don't like being tricked.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.