How can humanity ever be at peace?

Watch this thread
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What are your suggestions?

- A one world government with a powerful army to neutralise any tit-for-tat conflicts?

- Divergent "factions" set-up? With a faction for each type of person (the intelligent, the selfless, the honest, and so on)?

- Drugs to make us more peaceful towards each other?
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I don't think humanity can ever be at peace.

Love Divergent though
CaitlinN15
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itsRochana)
I don't think humanity can ever be at peace.

Love Divergent though
Divergent is amazing ahaha :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
childofthesun
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407102658.803576.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  175.2 KB
Lady Comstock
Rep:
(Original post by itsRochana)
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407102658.803576.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  175.2 KB
Weirdly, Edward VIII is a good example. Just not a particularly good man.
shaunthing
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What a lot of nonsense.

Humans will never be at peace because there will always be conflicting opinions and greed. It's just the way it is.

Improvements can be made but ultimately; the world will never become a peaceful place.
TheSoulWithin
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Never will be, unfortunately.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
(Original post by shaunthing)
What a lot of nonsense.

Humans will never be at peace because there will always be conflicting opinions and greed. It's just the way it is.

Improvements can be made but ultimately; the world will never become a peaceful place.
PLEASE DON'T NONSENSE MY PROPOSALS.

We can get to a level that is near to full peace as possible, nobody ever said that we could get to 100% peace. My question is what would achieve this!!!!!1111
shaunthing
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
PLEASE DON'T NONSENSE MY PROPOSALS.

We can get to a level that is near to full peace as possible, nobody ever said that we could get to 100% peace. My question is what would achieve this!!!!!1111
I just did lol

I'm sure you dreams of a perfect world are exquisite, but for the most part they will remain nothing more than an idea.

Realism > idealism
Lady Comstock
Rep:
(Original post by shaunthing)
I just did lol

I'm sure you dreams of a perfect world are exquisite, but for the most part they will remain nothing more than an idea.

Realism > idealism
Ok, but what set-up would give us more peace than now? We may never reach 100% or even 75% peace, but what would get us to the optimum level? Your proposals?
shaunthing
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Ok, but what set-up would give us more peace than now? We may never reach 100% or even 75% peace, but what would get us to the optimum level? Your proposals?
You can't just change the way a whole society thinks overnight, even if it that was to be possible there would still be conflicts and disputes with other countries.

Becoming better at working together and accommodating each others interests as much as possible is as far as it will go, but even that is flawed.

I'm not trying to be mean, but there's no point in being the person that moans away about how bad <insert system here> is, when the truth is the problem lies in the interests of each individual. Hence why communism won't work (not that I would want it to).

People want and deserve their rights and freedoms, most people - including myself, don't like to be told how to live their life by others.

I'm sorry, but your proposed idea of splitting society into different factions is ridiculous. Ask yourself this, is anybody truly honest? Lying is a normal part of human life and is often necessary for survival or the common good to some extent. Also, what happens if one falls into multiple factions or indeed none at all?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
We can never have peace. It is simply impossible. Humans will always fight over something even if there is nothing to fight over. It is human nature.
tysonmaniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, peace can theoretically be achieved. Like, say somehow the world was handed over to a panel of some subsection of humanity to do with whatever they wished, then I am sure that a near Utopia would be achievable. The issue is that is like impractical, and practically large scale change is really hard. Things that need to happen for lasting world peace:

-Universal, free education for everybody. I may be something of a romantic here, but I would like to think that given the chance human nature tends towards creativity and exploration instead of competition and dominance. Individuals need to be educated, not just in practical skills, but in the abstract and fascinating - in mathematics and science and literature and art and history and everything else that embodies what being human is.

-Universal, free healthcare for everybody. Until people stop dying of preventable diseases then it does not matter if we are not physically pulling the trigger, we are still allowing people to die because we care more about money than eachother, bringing me onto...

-A fundamental shift in the entire basis of economics. Most popularly the Zeitgeist idea ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w ), but really anything that removes the idea of individual and national 'wealth'. We all share a planet, and we all have both a right and responsibility to the resources it provides. If we both want to own something then there will be conflict, so in a peaceful world we must agree upon a way to distribute resources between us.

-One government, obviously. As long as there are lines on a map dividing territories and people, nations will fight to expand their lines and individuals on one side of a line will lack empathy for those on the other side.

We could do all that, but it would be pretty hard. Alternatively, we could just offer free heroine to everybody so we all just lie around happy for a while until we starve.
LakAnne
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I watched or maybe read something about future humans which would be genetically engineered to be less confrontational, aggressive, selfless and more altruistic without the concept of ownership and what not. Each time a person was born who displayed signs of disobedience and challenging the system, it would mean they were an evolutionary step back and would fail to fit with the rest of society and be terminated for the betterness of human society like a bad potato basically.

Anyway my point is, humans are naturally aggressive and violent. This will probably get worse as world resources depletes and the human population grows. Naturally, the solution would be a newly genetically engineered human race without the concept of self but togetherness that values each human life.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Humanity will never be at peace with itself.
An exception may be if the planet became invaded by aliens.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The solution to peace it for all the humans to die. That is only way we can all have true peace.
Drewski
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
We need a common enemy.

That might work for 5 minutes.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
- Drugs to make us more peaceful towards each other?
"They could settle wars with this, if only they will, imagine the world's leaders on pills."
DannyYYYY
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Humanity will never be at peace. We're too stupid for that to happen.

I give us 200 years at most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
28.41%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
35.23%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.09%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.68%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.27%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.27%

Watched Threads