The Student Room Group

Was employability a relevant factor when you chose your degree?

Read title. Comment below.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, reputation was a factor. I was going to go to my current insurance before I found out my current firm is a better university reputation wise for the field of work I'd like to go into.
Male/Female ratio is more important than dying to be a drone for a corporation.
Yeah of course, I'm one of those boring people that question why you'd study agree if employment seemed unlikely at the end. Or you could just yolo it and hope for the best... :colone:
Obviously, and I think it would be for many people. Imagine spending £27000 and 3 years of your life doing something and then ending up on the dole with nothing to show for it.
Reply 5
Yep employability was a relevant factor.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates
Male/Female ratio is more important than dying to be a drone for a corporation.

You're allowed to meet & **** people from different courses
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yes, reputation was a factor. I was going to go to my current insurance before I found out my current firm is a better university reputation wise for the field of work I'd like to go into.

Did you read the title right, because I don't understand your response

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yes and no, I don't go OTT on it because it's what you make of your degree and how you get a good job.

Degree can only get you so far.
Absolutely. However don't kid yourself, having a degree from a top university doesn't mean much these days. As long as you have at least a 2:1 in a relevant subject with a good CV from a respectable university it's anybodys game. Any employer that looks at nothing more than where you went to university quite frankly isn't worth working for as that is no way to run an organisation.

I know a lot of people that have graduated from top 5 universities in respectable courses and are struggling to find secure employment because they don't have any experience / CV boosting stuff.

Ultimately, work hard (ish :P), get involved in worthwhile activities and get decent work experience. Contrary to popular belief, most employers don't want an arrogant knob head that thinks they are 'it' just because they did their degree at a university with slightly higher requirements.

EDIT: I should add that your personality and first impression that you give goes a long way.
Original post by ElChapo
Did you read the title right, because I don't understand your response

Posted from TSR Mobile

Simple answer.. yes

Long answer.. I changed my mind as to which university I'm going to because of it
Reply 11
Absolutely. Not for my first course, which I spent four years on (languages) - I did it because they fascinated me and I don't regret doing it for a second. But I'm due to start Medicine in January and job security (and good pay) was absolutely a huge part of why I became so set on it.
Yes and no I suppose.

I'm going to study English which isn't exactly a one-way ticket to employment but I would hate to be someone who spent £27,000 on a degree they didn't enjoy and therefore didn't do well in. So I guess my answer is whilst it didn't change my degree it did play a huge part in the University I applied to and more importantly, for me anyway, how good that University's Careers service was. :smile:
Yes. Coming from an average household, I do envy those who come from a very privileged background and whose parents/relatives already have a job lined up for them when they graduate with their ancient history degrees. I wish university was back to what it used to be, people studying subjects just for the sake of it and being able to get a job relatively easily.
Reply 14
Not really; where I want to go just demands a good degree from a decent university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
Absolutely. Not for my first course, which I spent four years on (languages) - I did it because they fascinated me and I don't regret doing it for a second. But I'm due to start Medicine in January and job security (and good pay) was absolutely a huge part of why I became so set on it.

What are your A levels? I heard Medicine is like going to Guantanamo in your mind.
Reply 16
Original post by Juichiro
What are your A levels? I heard Medicine is like going to Guantanamo in your mind.

I did A-levels in English Literature, French, German and Spanish at Sixth Form, and have done A-level Maths and the Danish equivalents of AS Chemistry and Physics more recently.
Nope. I picked a course which I found interesting, at a respected university, and worked hard to get good grades. Which I didn't mind because I actually enjoyed what I was studying.
No. I have chosen History or a History related degree. However, I can say yes in the sense that Law can be done after and so on which is what I might end up doing but overall, no.
not really. Just so happens that the degree i chose has a 96% employment rate at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending