The Student Room Group

What if i don't reach entry requirements?

I have offers for a college and two sixth forms in Birmingham. As i want to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, I need two A's in science for the college offer and a B in Additional Science for the sixth form offer ( I have no worries for Maths). The other sixth form I have ruled out because I hated it there. However, I'm starting to think I didn't do well enough...

I think i got an A/A* at Core Science and maybe a D (if lucky, a C) in Additional. What will happen if i get these results? Everyone I ask tell me to change the Science A-Levels but they were the only courses I was certain about and the first ones I picked. Not to mention, I need Bio and Chem to do a science based University course!

What will happen if this happens? Is there anything I can do? and have anyone ever still gotten accepted if they didn't reach entry requirements? Results day is only like 17 days away and I don't come back from holiday until two days before so I can't do much until then.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
If you want an idea of what will happen when you miss your grades then you need to ring the college!

Sure, people at my former college got accepted even though they missed their requirements. Although they only missed them marginally!
Original post by SparklyUnicornz
I have offers for a college and two sixth forms in Birmingham. As i want to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, I need two A's in science for the college offer and a B in Additional Science for the sixth form offer ( I have no worries for Maths). The other sixth form I have ruled out because I hated it there. However, I'm starting to think I didn't do well enough...

I think i got an A/A* at Core Science and maybe a D (if lucky, a C) in Additional. What will happen if i get these results? Everyone I ask tell me to change the Science A-Levels but they were the only courses I was certain about and the first ones I picked. Not to mention, I need Bio and Chem to do a science based University course!

What will happen if this happens? Is there anything I can do? and have anyone ever still gotten accepted if they didn't reach entry requirements? Results day is only like 17 days away and I don't come back from holiday until two days before so I can't do much until then.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

I think they would probably class it as you failed to meet the conditions and reject you... If you need a B and get a D/low C, or need A's and get D/C, then you have missed the conditions substantially so they will probably fill your space with another candidate.

However, the only way to find out for sure is to contact the schools. Wait until you get your results and see how you did... you may be wrong. They may still take you but ask that you change your courses.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you think you will get a D in additional science? If you find it extremely difficult to secure an A or A* in science you will struggle terribly with the A Level courses. I knew plenty of people who got As in GCSE science and ended up completely flopping AS Chem and Bio. They are two of the toughest A Level subjects.
Original post by Jooooshy
If you want an idea of what will happen when you miss your grades then you need to ring the college!

Sure, people at my former college got accepted even though they missed their requirements. Although they only missed them marginally!

Original post by tnetennba
Why do you think you will get a D in additional science? If you find it extremely difficult to secure an A or A* in science you will struggle terribly with the A Level courses. I knew plenty of people who got As in GCSE science and ended up completely flopping AS Chem and Bio. They are two of the toughest A Level subjects.

I agree with this too. I know people who got straight A*'s in math and science courses at GCSE and failed to secure a high B at AS Level.

Good idea. You've probably done better than you think! Panicking about it will do you no good :smile:

Because I messed up in the exam. Like I never finished the papers and left whole sections. I'm doing it because I like science and I'm not too bad at it. I also have my sister who got A's in Biology and Chemistry and a B in Physics who can help.
Why do you think you will get a D in additional science? If you find it extremely difficult to secure an A or A* in science you will struggle terribly with the A Level courses.

Nice. A discouraging post that doesn't answer OP's question.

I knew plenty of people who got As in GCSE science and ended up completely flopping AS Chem and Bio. They are two of the toughest A Level subjects.

Sweet statistic. Chemistry is easy.

Because I messed up in the exam. Like I never finished the papers and left whole sections. I'm doing it because I like science and I'm not too bad at it. I also have my sister who got A's in Biology and Chemistry and a B in Physics who can help.

Please don't feel the need to justify your grades to some random person online! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Nice. A discouraging post that doesn't answer OP's question.

Sweet statistic. Chemistry is easy.

Please don't feel the need to justify your grades to some random person online! :smile:

Thanks:biggrin: I don't need to justify myself. I'm confident I can do it! i'll find a way.

X

Dude. I'm not trying to be mean. I hated sixth form due to picking science subjects [due to pressure from my parents], verging on insanity towards the end of Y13. I'm trying to prevent people from making the same mistakes that I did.

OP doesn't need to do anything until she/he gets their results anyway. It's normal to panic during the lead-up to results day.
I'm trying to prevent people from making the same mistakes that I did.

Just because it was a mistake for you, it doesn't mean it will be a mistake for everybody else!

Quick Reply

Latest