The Student Room Group

why does everyone at uni have a mac?

i mean i have one too, but why does everyone actually have one?

I mean this is what it actually looks like:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where do you go?
Reply 2
Original post by barneystin

I am curious to know why too. I'll wait for someone to answer this.

And I have another question. Is it really necessary to bring laptop to Uni if i'm not living in the halls?

Btw you are saying you have one too. Shouldn't you answer your own question then?
(edited 9 years ago)
Cause they're Apple sheep.
because they're good laptops and they can afford them? Back in early 2000s if the lecture room was filled with windows laptops, does that make them windows sheep?
Because they're cool.

Original post by Tahnik

And I have another question. Is it really necessary to bring laptop to Uni if i'm not living in the halls?

Depends what course you're doing.
I probably wouldn't suggest bringing one in on the bus/train every day.

Because they are powerful machines:biggrin:

Well I don't have a mac, but you do.. so you'd be far better qualified to answer than me. What's your reason?

At a guess I'd say it's because the majority of students, by their very nature, are used to spending inordinate amounts of money on useless things, like their soft core degrees. Maybe I'm just cynical though
Original post by Al-farhan
Because they are powerful machines:biggrin:

:indiff: :facepalm: :nooo:
Reply 9
Original post by Tahnik

Btw you are saying you have one too. Shouldn't you answer your own question then?

I'm happy to pay a premium for a premium product.

Windows 8 comes nowhere near Mac OS as an operating system, and its the little details like gesture control that make it just :h:

But thats just my reason.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because they taste so good. :wink:
Reply 11
They're reliable machines with good battery lives. I'm a Windows guy through and through but I'm getting a macbook for uni purely because it has a good battery life and is less likely to screw up like my current laptop has.. saying that, I will be Boot Camping it as soon as I can.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've recently bought myself a laptop for university, got a lenovo :smile: Can't stand macs at all, or most apple products.
Yes, same at both my universities, everyone had one. People have very little to complain about in this country, there is a huge wealthy Middle Class.
That image.....i've seen it somewhere before.....omg that was a photo taken for WWDC a few years back. I remember Jobs(or Schiller, can't recall) making a joke to the audience asking them if they could see the PC users in the audience. just hilarious. But getting to the point, most of the MacBooks there and today likely will be the Airs. They are much cheaper than they used to be, they used to cost well over a grand but can now be bad for as low as £749, thats not counting refurb models and Apple discounts. The expensive Macs in my opinion are the iMac 27 inch, Mac Pro and Retina 15 inch MacBook Pro, the rest are in the doable section in my books
Reply 15
Original post by marco14196
That image.....i've seen it somewhere before.....omg that was a photo taken for WWDC a few years back. I remember Jobs(or Schiller, can't recall) making a joke to the audience asking them if they could see the PC users in the audience. just hilarious. But getting to the point, most of the MacBooks there and today likely will be the Airs. They are much cheaper than they used to be, they used to cost well over a grand but can now be bad for as low as £749, thats not counting refurb models and Apple discounts. The expensive Macs in my opinion are the iMac 27 inch, Mac Pro and Retina 15 inch MacBook Pro, the rest are in the doable section in my books

can you spot the guy actually using pen and paper though:tongue:
Sorry to hijack your thread but do mac laptops last a long time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by WorldPharmacist
Sorry to hijack your thread but do mac laptops last a long time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes typically at least 5 years. longer if well cared for.
Because they're apple ****ers.

Sorry, that's what my dad calls people who own apple products. But yeah, I guess Apple are good laptops and popular among university students. Even though they're so expensive and I'll probably just end up taking a cheaper model. :smile:
I bought it cause the laptop came with a 3 year warranty and most of my friends who've had non-Apple laptop have had to buy another laptop as the laptop they had didn't last them the 3 odd years. So basically it cost me around £800 or so and it cost them the same (with essentially 2 laptops). Quality is top draw and I've not had a single problem since I bought it 2 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest