Choosing post 16 options. A levels or BTECs? Watch

_hml_98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I am in the process of picking options for sixth form and not sure which is right me. I was think of doing four different level 3 subsidiary diplomas in ICT, media print, applied science and business studies. I am hoping to go to university although I am unsure on what to study. I was wondering if all BTECs would be a bad idea. I am predicted all Cs and Bs in my GCSEs with distintions in my level 2 BTECs which would allow my to do a levels although I wouldn't enjoy them one bit. No A levels really seem interesting for me apart from business studies. Would do you all think is the best option to pick after I get my GCSE results?

Thank you for all replies.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not an extended diploma in business?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Why not an extended diploma in business?
My college doesn't offer that and a different local college doesn't have places left.
blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to go to university, you should take a-levels.
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by moecandy)
If you want to go to university, you should take a-levels.
I don't think I would get the grades in A levels and and no A level subjects look that interesting for me which would mean I do even worst in them. I was wondering what reputation BTEC subsidiary diplomas have with universities which are not mixed with A levels.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _hml_98)
I don't think I would get the grades in A levels and and no A level subjects look that interesting for me which would mean I do even worst in them. I was wondering what reputation BTEC subsidiary diplomas have with universities which are not mixed with A levels.
Should email some unis about subsidary diplomas and whether they will accept them.

If not, you might have to knuckle down and bite the bullet with a couple of a level subjects
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Should email some unis about subsidary diplomas and whether they will accept them.

If not, you might have to knuckle down and bite the bullet with a couple of a level subjects
I will emails so universities and see what they think, thank you.
_infinity_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Universities don't see BTEC's as a proper A-level. Teachers may tell you they are equivalent to two A's or something but there not really. Maybe in terms of UMS they give you they might be same UMS as B for example but in life an A-level is much more well regarded than a BTEC.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone thinks that at first, but if you actually try to do well in A-levels then you will succeed.

A-levels would be a wiser choice and allows you a bigger range of choices when it comes to applying to universities, not to mention it's much more respected. From what you said, it I sounds like you haven't actually researched specific subjects for A-levels so I would start there. Look at the course contents of the subjects your desired uni course expects you to have.
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobens)
Universities don't see BTEC's as a proper A-level. Teachers may tell you they are equivalent to two A's or something but there not really. Maybe in terms of UMS they give you they might be same UMS as B for example but in life an A-level is much more well regarded than a BTEC.
If thats the case I think it would be wise for me to do a levels. Would it be fine to do three A levels and one BTEC and then and most likely drop one A level as A2 so I would finish with one BTEC and two A levels?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Everyone thinks that at first, but if you actually try to do well in A-levels then you will succeed.

A-levels would be a wiser choice and allows you a bigger range of choices when it comes to applying to universities, not to mention it's much more respected. From what you said, it I sounds like you haven't actually researched specific subjects for A-levels so I would start there. Look at the course contents of the subjects your desired uni course expects you to have.
Do BTECs limit your options then even when they are in different subject? If so I will have do A levels as my careers path isn't really decided. Would one BTEC and three A levels be fine? Unsure of my university course yet so unable to see what they prefer.
_hml_98
Rep:
?
This may sound stupid and hard to answer as it may be matter of opinion but what do people think the easy or soft A levels are but still respected if possible?

Thank you.
_infinity_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If thats the case I think it would be wise for me to do a levels. Would it be fine to do three A levels and one BTEC and then and most likely drop one A level as A2 so I would finish with one BTEC and two A levels?
I think 3 A-levels and no BTEC is best.

Friends I know say the BTEC isn't hard at all and easily managed to do 3 A-levels and the BTEC at A2. Hence, why the BTEC isn't well received by Uni's
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do BTECs limit your options then even when they are in different subject? If so I will have do A levels as my careers path isn't really decided. Would one BTEC and three A levels be fine? Unsure of my university course yet so unable to see what they prefer.
Yes you're able to do 3 A-levels and BTEC. I'm still unsure about my degree option and I'm applying this September. The best way to do this is to choose a combination of traditional subjects such sciences, Maths, humanities and an art and something else. I do Art, Biology, Geography, Maths and Portuguese.

Right now I'm planning on going into engineering though I don't do physics but I can get in through a foundation year.
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobens)
I think 3 A-levels and no BTEC is best.

Friends I know say the BTEC isn't hard at all and easily managed to do 3 A-levels and the BTEC at A2. Hence, why the BTEC isn't well received by Uni's
Think I do A levels after these views but still unsure and have to on the 21st but BTEC is most likely a no now. Thank you. What A levels did you do and how did you find them if you don't me asking?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Yes you're able to do 3 A-levels and BTEC. I'm still unsure about my degree option and I'm applying this September. The best way to do this is to choose a combination of traditional subjects such sciences, Maths, humanities and an art and something else. I do Art, Biology, Geography, Maths and Portuguese.

Right now I'm planning on going into engineering though I don't do physics but I can get in through a foundation year.
How do you find geography? I done it at GCSE and found it alright as long as I put in the work which I only did in right before the exam. Hoping for a B but most likely a C as I left putting in effort too late. Did you study it at GCSE?
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This may sound stupid and hard to answer as it may be matter of opinion but what do people think the easy or soft A levels are but still respected if possible?

Thank you.
Maths is quite straight forward with all the online resources around - I basically self taught myself with YouTube videos since my teacher is utter crap. The subject is surprisingly clearer cut than gcse I found

Psychology has a fairly easy exam but lots of memorising if your into that
(Those are from my subjects anyways)

FYI: Subsidary btecs are the main niggly qualifications in your case - most universities which offer business management (I presume you want to do ?) accept extended diplomas in business

Posted from TSR Mobile
kiwiii.d
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did 2 A-Levels and a double BTEC, hard work but it got me to uni. Depends on what the universities ask for in terms of UCAS Points or certain A-Level grades. Decide what works best for you in terms of exams or coursework
LydiaFirefly<3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I felt the same. If you'd like to do all BTEC's then that's fine as long as you enjoy them and they're relevant to what you want to do in the future Or you could do a mixture of A-Levels and BTEC's but if no A-Levels interest you then fair enough You can still go to university with BTEC's so don't worry about that too much. Lots of people will say A-Levels are more respected than BTEC's, which by some universities they are, but most that I've looked at/rang up don't mind either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do you find geography? I done it at GCSE and found it alright as long as I put in the work which I only did in right before the exam. Hoping for a B but most likely a C as I left putting in effort too late. Did you study it at GCSE?
Yeah it was easy, but I ended up getting a low B in the unit 3 exam since I didn't pay attention in class at all and ended up getting a B overall.

IA-level Geography is far more harder and is more essay based than GCSE. I particularly hate the human side of it which had been preventing me getting at least a B, even though I manage to get full marks on the physical side. But overall it's a good A-level and you learn a lot from other subject such as physics, economics and even politics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads