Who is fed up with Edexcel

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Im not even in the same place as you guys anymore and i agree EdExcel suck!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
EdExcel is a rubbish exam board, all our Chemistry and IT exam papers are going to be remarked.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i had ocr and aqa as my exam boards, got much higher marks with aqa... circa 550 with aqa, circa 500 with ocr. it seems they give away marks much more readily. as for edexcel, from what youve all been saying im glad i didnt have them.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
one of my friends, he took a Decision Maths exam AS and he got 100% even though he din't answer every single question, where da hell did the extra marks come from?????????
and another person she got 100% in Art. She really did work hard, but i eman how can you get 100% in a non-factual exam???????
:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
one of my friends, he took a Decision Maths exam AS and he got 100% even though he din't answer every single question, where da hell did the extra marks come from?????????
and another person she got 100% in Art. She really did work hard, but i eman how can you get 100% in a non-factual exam???????
:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
you can be awarded full marks in the UMS but doesnt mean you actually got full marks in the exam. they adjust the raw mark in the exam to a scale, so if you are the best relative to other entrants you can be awarded full marks, even if you havent got full marks in the actual exam.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
You don't really get 'extra' marks, it's just that in the conversion of raw marks (marks on the paper) to the UMS system, the raw mark is multiplied by some factor and then scaled using an extra grade ('N' or the 'cap' - above grade A). The cap is calculated by doubling the difference between the A and B boundary raw marks, then adding it to the A-grade boundary mark. If a candidate achieves equal to or more than the 'cap' number of raw marks, then they receive full UMS marks for the exam. For example, in the June 2003 AQA CHM5 exam, the A boundary mark was 75/120 and the B one was 65/120. This means that the 'cap' was set at 95/120 - so anyone who didn't lose more than 25 marks was awarded 120 for the exam.

Ben
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Having gained an extra 3 marks in my maths A level which moves my grade from a D to a C, i have decided to add my vote.

It's amazing to think that if everyone got their papers re-marked they could end up with completely different grades; possibly much better.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Overall, everyone in my school got lower grades in french that expected mainly due to the oral marks being extremely low (for no reason according to the teachers) & guess wat exam board we are on
I have english lit with them too!
Cathie
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Its not just exams that they **** up on. They also run a BTEC program for studnets that underacheive in their GCSE's, (basically fail them all) anfd they say that 1 BTec = 3 A levels. It is crap and they are undermining A levels and the amount of work they take. Students can take 5 years to complete a 2 year course, they only have coursework/assignments to do, no exams. Their coursework CANNOT be failed, it can be referred, they are then told what is wrong with it and given as many chances as they want over the 5 years to correct it until they acheive a PASS, MERIT OR DISTINCTION. However if a student acheives a pass first time they cannot them increase this to a merit or distinction. Two students I know copyed c/w and it was literally word for word copying, when the college tried to fail them Edexcel said that they cannot be failed as there is NO PROOF, it could just be a coincidence!! Crap or what!?! Students can they applying to uni using the same point system (through UCAS) and acheive higher points from taking 5 years and hundreds of attempts at 6 pieces of c/w, no exams and blatantly cheating than alot of other people to form working the arse off for 2 years to yet decent grades in 3 A levels.

Once again Edexcel have got it all wrapped round their neck, and ned to wake up and look at the real world when making up course, not just live i their own little world all the time!!!
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Edexcel don't like 'A' levels anymore, apparently. They want to cash in on the vocational market - plus, they're changing their name to London Qualifications or something.

Ben
debog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
p3 was a joke in the summer
everyone on this boared hated it and felt it was way too hard and unapproachable
i did too and came up with a ums in the 90's so they obviously dropped the boundarys
but why bother
why not set a more reasonable paper instead of causiung so much stress and panic!
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by debog)
p3 was a joke in the summer
everyone on this boared hated it and felt it was way too hard and unapproachable
i did too and came up with a ums in the 90's so they obviously dropped the boundarys
but why bother
why not set a more reasonable paper instead of causiung so much stress and panic!
It wasn't THAT hard, compared to previous ones. They're all a little bit different from each other and this year's was no exception. I looked back over it and, apart from the last question which always gives me different answers (none of them correct) it's all pretty easy - especially the vectors bit and the differential equation. I fudged them both up in the exam but the dif. eq. in particular was even easier than normal!

Ben
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll apologise for posting that [above], since it was quite pointless.

Ben
debog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
It wasn't THAT hard, compared to previous ones. They're all a little bit different from each other and this year's was no exception. I looked back over it and, apart from the last question which always gives me different answers (none of them correct) it's all pretty easy - especially the vectors bit and the differential equation. I fudged them both up in the exam but the dif. eq. in particular was even easier than normal!

Ben
supose it was easier
but it wasnt as accessible
++Hex++
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Edexcel don't like 'A' levels anymore, apparently. They want to cash in on the vocational market - plus, they're changing their name to London Qualifications or something.

Ben
When I logged on to their website a while ago, I got a pop up questionnaire asking me how credible (basically) I thought the new/ old names were, and for any other input. I told them that I thought anything would be better than Edexcel (basically), but that I thought they were abysmal anyway and that a name change appeared to be a cover up for how rubbish they actually were.
princess fiona
Report 15 years ago
edexcel really do suck last year they lost my psychology coursework and i had to redo it. my 1st piece was worth an a but the redone version got a e
littleone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
EDEXHELL really do suck
gemstone
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
on the 10th of june i have 5 exams.... 3units of chemistry and 2units of history.....thats bloody insane.

thats 5 and a half hours of examination in one day wat the **** am i meant to do those stupid edexcel retards. IN between all teh 5 exams i only have a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes. and no thats not reasonable.

Do i have the right to do anything or not coz thats loads of examination in one day
Emma123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
too true.... edexcel are just money making idiots! there have been mistakes in my papers, there are no free resources on the internet (unlike the very generous aqa) and they cant even mark the papers correctly

i think that there should be one exam board, which should not be profit making! failing that - GET RID OF EDEXCEL!!!
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah I'm fed up with what they're doing to the maths syllabus, effectively making it 5/6th the exam it was before. Do they not realise how unfair that is.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads