The Student Room Group

Mathematics A level

Hi, i'm studying A level mathematics and will soon return to college for core 3, core 4 and mechanics. can anyone give me some tips before i start studying these sections?
Reply 1
I've covered core 3 so far over my holiday. My advice would be to take it easy and don't worry too much about it.
Reply 2
Original post by cappie
Hi, i'm studying A level mathematics and will soon return to college for core 3, core 4 and mechanics. can anyone give me some tips before i start studying these sections?

I suggest after every topic, try questions from the past paper. Doing past papers is key. I got A*'s and A's for my tests, just hoping for the best on results day now. This link has questions from past papers and they are separated by topic. It helped me a lot.

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/Core%203%20Question%20Booklet%20(Edexcel)%20-%20Mr%20Slack.pdf

However, since you have not even started, don't worry about past papers for now. Just start listing down the formulas that aren't in the booklet and memorise them or just stick them on your wall. Also, make sure you still know long division because it will come up in c4.
Original post by marsss
I suggest after every topic, try questions from the past paper. Doing past papers is key. I got A*'s and A's for my tests, just hoping for the best on results day now. This link has questions from past papers and they are separated by topic. It helped me a lot.

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/Core%203%20Question%20Booklet%20(Edexcel)%20-%20Mr%20Slack.pdf

However, since you have not even started, don't worry about past papers for now. Just start listing down the formulas that aren't in the booklet and memorise them or just stick them on your wall. Also, make sure you still know long division because it will come up in c4.

Learning the formulas by rote is not going to be a very inspiring start is it ?
I would get ready organisationally, get your notebooks and stationary and print off syllabus and past papers and design a schedule
Reply 5
Original post by Old_Simon
Learning the formulas by rote is not going to be a very inspiring start is it ?

Okay what I did last year was I listed down all the formulas that are and are not in the booklet. I stuck it on my wall and table just so it's easier. You don't have to do this but it will help you remember it as you start to do questions. We obviously don't learn the same way so it's just a suggestion. I'm sure I am allowed to voice out my opinion or what I did when I was in the same situation. Another thing that I found that worked for me is being ahead of the class which is by reading the book, trying out the examples obviously without looking at the answers before doing them and doing questions by yourself. When I did this I found myself learning quicker in class and understanding the topic better cause the teacher will explain it further.
Original post by marsss
Okay what I did last year was I listed down all the formulas that are and are not in the booklet. I stuck it on my wall and table just so it's easier. You don't have to do this but it will help you remember it as you start to do questions. We obviously don't learn the same way so it's just a suggestion. I'm sure I am allowed to voice out my opinion or what I did when I was in the same situation. Another thing that I found that worked for me is being ahead of the class which is by reading the book, trying out the examples obviously without looking at the answers before doing them and doing questions by yourself. When I did this I found myself learning quicker in class and understanding the topic better cause the teacher will explain it further.

I am not the OP but I am all in favour of self learning and working ahead of your school lessons.
We finished C3 after our AS exams, I found most of it okay, make sure you get your head around the formulas used in chapter 6 and 7 and the you'll be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by Old_Simon
I am not the OP but I am all in favour of self learning and working ahead of your school lessons.

I agree, tbh some teachers make me feel like I'm wasting my time when I'm in their class.

Quick Reply

Latest