The Student Room Group

Any budgeting tips and advice for a fresher? E.G. Best cheap food?

:biggrin:
Reply 1
How much have you budgeted for food per week?
Reply 2
Omelettes, Bolognese, Pasta with homemade sauce :biggrin:
The best cheap food is potatoes. You could fry it, have is as a mash, whip it up with cream, roast it...whatever floats your boat. I think only noodles comes next to it in terms of cheapness of price. :rofl:
It's cheaper to make your own food than buy it.
Reply 5
Learn how to bake! The food is so good and so simple :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
It's cheaper to make your own food than buy it.

Not always lol.
Write down every single transaction

It'll be easier to see how much you're spending and what you can cut down.
Draw out a set amount of money each week and that's all you can spend.
Original post by CecilDelevingne
:biggrin:

Forget frozen food, bulk buying, offers, take aways, and discount supermarkets. Your best bet is to buy fresh ingredients and get creative. Search for Mike Jeavons on Yotube. He did a week spending £17.50 on food and hit all of his GDA's. It was a healthier and tastier diet than most stuff served up on mass straight form the freezer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRpf9mPUZU Here goes, watch the series. He did it for a week. He also did it living off Iceland food.
Make big batches of currys, chillis, bolognese etc. portion them out into freezer bags, pop them in the freezer and microwave when you want them! Rice, pasta and potatoes are cheap accompaniments. Same goes for frozen veg - you can buy things like peas, broccoli etc. already frozen but I find getting creative with other veg (e.g. onions, peppers, courgettes) by chopping them up and putting them in the freezer ready to chuck into a stir-fry or whatever really saves money and stops you wasting veg that just gets forgotten in the bottom of the fridge.

An obvious way to save money is to go veggie - meat can be expensive and you can substitute it with lentils, chickpeas, beans etc. If you really can't go without meat, then mince, turkey and chicken thighs/legs/wings rather than breast is your best bet :smile: Also buy things that can be frozen (e.g. meat, pizzas) when they've got those yellow reduced stickers on them (usually cos it's the day of their use by date), freeze on the day and they can be good for up to a month or so.
http://itsnotperfectblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/how-to-budget-for-university-a-guide-to-budgeting-cash-back-and-bargain-hunting/

I just wrote a pretty cool blog post about this sort of thing! Me and my husband lived on 40p Bags of Pasta from Sainsburys and Tuna when it was cheap, now its not so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending