Want more information about this university?

Safe areas near Napier Sighthill campus?

Watch
Jodiee182
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello all! A friend and I will be coming to napier in september to study our masters in wildlife biology and conservation. We're currently looking for accomodation and having difficulty figuring out which places we should avoid? We were told to absolutely not stay in sighthill. Does anybody know if the Drum brae area is safe? Thanks for any help
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stay away from:

Sighthill
Wester Hailes
Niddrie
Muirhouse
Leith
Craigmiller
Pilton
Jodiee182
Rep:
?
(Original post by EatAndRevise)
Stay away from:

Sighthill
Wester Hailes
Niddrie
Muirhouse
Leith
Craigmiller
Pilton

Aw thats exactly what I was looking for, cheers mate! I seen a couple flats in Clermiston/Drum brae. Do you know that area? Thank you so much
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jodiee182)
Aw thats exactly what I was looking for, cheers mate! I seen a couple flats in Clermiston/Drum brae. Do you know that area? Thank you so much
I am not too sure, I have a feeling that Drumbrae is not a good area.

The good areas are:

Morningside
The Grange
Ravelston
Barnton
Bruntsfield
Marchmont
Newington
Inverleith (mostly)
Jodiee182
Rep:
?
(Original post by EatAndRevise)
I am not too sure, I have a feeling that Drumbrae is not a good area.

The good areas are:

Morningside
The Grange
Ravelston
Barnton
Bruntsfield
Marchmont
Newington
Inverleith (mostly)

Thank you so much, really appreciate that
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much, really appreciate that
These areas will be more expensive than the bad areas, if that is an issue.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello all! A friend and I will be coming to napier in september to study our masters in wildlife biology and conservation. We're currently looking for accomodation and having difficulty figuring out which places we should avoid? We were told to absolutely not stay in sighthill. Does anybody know if the Drum brae area is safe? Thanks for any help
Just popped this in the Napier sub forum for you
keano2014
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'd be hard pushed to find a decent 2 bed flat for rent in the grange or marchmont for less than £800pcm. Good luck finding anything under £1000pcm in ravelston. Leith is a cool place to live with great transport links, lots of bars and restaurants and reasonable rents.

People that either haven't ever lived in Leith or lived in Leith before the late 90s have a dim view of it, but it has been regenerated and is becoming a trendy area to live. I'd totally recommend it.
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by keano2014)
You'd be hard pushed to find a decent 2 bed flat for rent in the grange or marchmont for less than £800pcm. Good luck finding anything under £1000pcm in ravelston. Leith is a cool place to live with great transport links, lots of bars and restaurants and reasonable rents.

People that either haven't ever lived in Leith or lived in Leith before the late 90s have a dim view of it, but it has been regenerated and is becoming a trendy area to live. I'd totally recommend it.
Yeah but if you're gonna be studying at Sighthill it's gonna take some time to get there from Leith, especially on the bus.
Stefko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best area to look is Colinton and Craiglochart, close to Sighthill but posh and not too expensive!
keano2014
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamu)
Yeah but if you're gonna be studying at Sighthill it's gonna take some time to get there from Leith, especially on the bus.
Takes about half an hour on the bus and four hours on the tram....
crazycarol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Drum brae is fine, Clermiston OK. Morningside and other areas posted above are really the best areas in Edinburgh but not ideal for students as they cost mega bucks.
Barnett16v
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is not a thing wrong with sighthill its the area around sighthill. Ie calders, broomhouse , westerhailes its just unfortunate to be slap bang in the middle and get tarnished with the same brush its mosty working familys in sighthill or over 65s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (577)
34.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (688)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.48%

Watched Threads