The Student Room Group

17 Too Young to Identify as Asexual?

<DELETED>
(edited 4 years ago)
one of my friends is asexual and she's 17 :smile: known since she's about 14
i don't think it's something you should worry about. if u dont want sex, dont have it
That sounds amazing. Seriously not wanting to have sex is probably the best thing in life and helps you to form healthy relationships based on communication and real love, not lust
Original post by RainPoncho
Thanks, I know I don't want to have sex but whether that will change or not I'm not sure. But yeah, no point worrying! Did she 'come out' as asexual or was it more of a casual thing (I don't know how to describe it really)?

she only told a few close friends at high school but is now more open about it at college :smile: so it's more of a casual thing i'd say, her parents and siblings still dont know she's asexual
Hello everyone. :smile:

So I'm a 17 year old girl and I've been toying with the idea of being asexual for almost 2 years now. Ever since talking about sex and being sexually active became normal among my friends I've felt completely indifferent towards anything related.

I've always been a 'late developer' so maybe the same applies to sexual urges? Also I've never been in a relationship or had any sexual experiences so it's not as if there are any factors along those lines affecting how I feel about my sexuality.

I hardly ever think about sex and I don't see attractive people and think 'I want to sleep with them.' but at the same time I'm not repulsed by sex, just very indifferent.

Honestly I think the way I feel at the moment can be described as asexual but as it says in the title, I am only 17 and it seems too young to commit to a label. My reasoning is if other people my age are happy to call themselves straight, gay, bi, etc then there's no reason why I can't identify as asexual.

I guess I'm just looking for other people's opinions and maybe stories from other asexuals (I know looking for that small 1% is asking for too much).

Thanks!

(Also as I quick note, I disagree with using labels and would prefer if I could just happily exist without the whole 'white cis asexual hetero-romantic female' tag. I simply ask about identifying as Asexual because it's the easiest way for other people to understand, to me I'm just me.)

There's no age limit to what you want to identify yourself as. If you feel that you are asexual, then you can say you are asexual. End of story and enjoy your life. :biggrin: Even if you're unsure, in due time you will figure yourself out. But if you feel at this moment in time you are asexual, you can say so. :smile:
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
one of my friends is asexual and she's 17 :smile: known since she's about 14
i don't think it's something you should worry about. if u dont want sex, dont have it

I agree, don't really worry about it. I understand your interest in, not labeling yourself, but just wanting to be familiar with yourself.
I was a late developer too, and had no interest at all when my friends talked about it. However, years on I identify as straight and I'm happily sexually active. It all came in time. I'm not saying it will for you, and you'll be straight or whatever, just that you're right, you are still quite young. Some people just know, but as you're a late developer usually, I'd say give it a few years before either things change, or you're certain to consider yourself asexual.
I'm gay and had my first hint in like Primary School (believe it or not, I don't really care) so I think you are perfectly able to identify as such at 17! You know who you are :smile: x
It's perfectly fine to identify yourself as such; sexuality is very fluid - what you identify with now may well not be what you identify yourself as in the future, but there's no point waiting for then if you want to feel comfortable with a particular label for how you are now. (In my case, I identified as a lesbian, but have more recently started to consider myself bisexual) So if you feel like asexual fits how you are now, go ahead!
Reply 8
Hello everyone. :smile:

So I'm a 17 year old girl and I've been toying with the idea of being asexual for almost 2 years now. Ever since talking about sex and being sexually active became normal among my friends I've felt completely indifferent towards anything related.

I've always been a 'late developer' so maybe the same applies to sexual urges? Also I've never been in a relationship or had any sexual experiences so it's not as if there are any factors along those lines affecting how I feel about my sexuality.

I hardly ever think about sex and I don't see attractive people and think 'I want to sleep with them.' but at the same time I'm not repulsed by sex, just very indifferent.

Honestly I think the way I feel at the moment can be described as asexual but as it says in the title, I am only 17 and it seems too young to commit to a label. My reasoning is if other people my age are happy to call themselves straight, gay, bi, etc then there's no reason why I can't identify as asexual.

I guess I'm just looking for other people's opinions and maybe stories from other asexuals (I know looking for that small 1% is asking for too much).

Thanks!

(Also as I quick note, I disagree with using labels and would prefer if I could just happily exist without the whole 'white cis asexual hetero-romantic female' tag. I simply ask about identifying as Asexual because it's the easiest way for other people to understand, to me I'm just me.)

If you want to be an asexual now... do it. You can always change your mind in later life if you choose to
x

One does not simply dislike sex
Original post by Lone tiger
One does not simply dislike sex

Believe it or not, they can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending