Ineedhelpman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, well I'm actually posting for my brother and myself. I'm 16 and have just left school and thinking about what i'm going to do. My brother is 18 and has a qualification in IT level 1 and 2, He dropped out of level 3 as it was a little hard for him, what a dummie. Anyways my dad was suggesting that we both do mechanics, he said, I myself the 16 yr old can be mechanic technician and my bro who is 18 can do mechanics. My dad thinks that in IT he won't get a job as theres alot of people doing it nowadays. But on every corner of a road theres a garage lol. But if doing mechanics are their good jobs like i heard you could join maybe some top end companies, such as, land rover or something like that? Anyway I want to know what is the best to do?

btw I will be picking up results in around 16 days, hopefully get a C in maths and confident get a C in English and business. I have done 2 years of ICT in school and I have done comstruction achieving Merit... anyways thanks if you replied and helped
vision1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have a c in english and maths go for it !!

if you dont go mechanics as you can get fully qualified without a c in maths or english as you have to start from level 1 btec unless its an apprenticeship then its different.

It would be better if you both chose something else and also chose something you actually like!!
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
Are you saying choose IT if I get a C in Maths and English or Mechanics? If I choose IT do you think there is alot of employement out their so i can get a job? If i do Mechanics ill most likely be doing an Apprenticeship, or, is it better doing college course like the one you said level 1 btec etc..?
vision1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ineedhelpman)
Are you saying choose IT if I get a C in Maths and English or Mechanics? If I choose IT do you think there is alot of employement out their so i can get a job? If i do Mechanics ill most likely be doing an Apprenticeship, or, is it better doing college course like the one you said level 1 btec etc..?
Yeah if you get an c in maths and English definitely do IT as theres more opportunities to move up.

But if you don't get an c in maths and english definitely do machanics as you can get fully qualified without going university.

Apprenticeship is the best way to get into mechanics while getting paid.
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
kk but once i finish apprenticeship on mechanics where do you think i could work like, because theres so many garages, and I wouldn't have the funds to open up my own. Do you think in mechanics you can join good company's such as land rover, range rover, like them or just work on the corner of a road garage?
marple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Companies like Land Rover seem to take apprentices after gcses.

http://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co....-rover#req-tab

Good luck
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
umm they are not accepting applications.... Do I need any qualifications to get into apprentice mechanics with them?

btw my bro doesn't have a C in maths and english so i think he should do it lol
vision1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
umm they are not accepting applications.... Do I need any qualifications to get into apprentice mechanics with them?

btw my bro doesn't have a C in maths and english so i think he should do it lol
https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchin...ticeships.aspx

Search for mechanic apprenticeships near you. there are usually lots of mechanic apprenticeships.

Also if you get an apprenticeships with toyota or some other car company they will usually give you a job after you have finish the full apprenticeship that depends on what level you start on tho.
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
kk Thanks for the help. Is Mechanic technician harder then a normal mechanic and does it have more employement? sorry for asking alot of questions
vision1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
kk Thanks for the help. Is Mechanic technician harder then a normal mechanic and does it have more employement? sorry for asking alot of questions
You get different kind of mechanics and mechanic technician is for mechanical equipment and not for cars.

if you post the link i can for sure tell you what it is about but you should be looking for vehicle,maintenance and repair.
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
Hey sup, just come back with gcse results! I got:
Business: C
I.T: Merit
Construction : Merit
English language: C
English Lit: D
Mathematics: D
Hmm what shuold i go for mechanics or I.T
vision1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey sup, just come back with gcse results! I got:
Business: C
I.T: Merit
Construction : Merit
English language: C
English Lit: D
Mathematics: D
Hmm what shuold i go for mechanics or I.T
basically apply for an IT course at an college and look for an mechanics apprenticeship if you get the apprenticeship take it.
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
(Original post by vision1)
basically apply for an IT course at an college and look for an mechanics apprenticeship if you get the apprenticeship take it.
Hmm... I think i will most likely go for mechanics now. Well my dad's saying apply for vehicle technician and my bro can apply for vehicle, maintenance and repair. Any idea if its hard or needs good grade requirements?
vision1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm... I think i will most likely go for mechanics now. Well my dad's saying apply for vehicle technician and my bro can apply for vehicle, maintenance and repair. Any idea if its hard or needs good grade requirements?
for vehicle, maintenance and repair im sure you will 100% get in with those grades.should be similar with vehicle technician but not sure
Ineedhelpman
Rep:
?
Hey, for Vehicle technician, my dad was saying there are only for volvo cars or something like that v12 or vw or something. So he said, do I.T. I was thinking on which one to do because my bro is looking for software engineer, like fixing inside the computer etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads