The Student Room Group

College

Hi , I'm new to all this so sorry if I'm doing this wrong or just put this in the wrong forum :/
Anyways, I'm 16 and I will be starting college in September, don't exactly know which one yet as I might be moving but yes.. I'm very very nervous.
I'm a really shy person when it comes to meeting and talking to new people and knowing that there's going to be a lot of new faces - scare me.
I wouldn't be so scared if I knew someone who is going to the same college or even doing the same course as me but I will be moving to a different town so I will be in a completely different area where I don't know anyone or anything.
So yeah, could anyone give me some tips like how to fit in or maybe you've been in similar situation and could share your experience?

Also, this might sound stupid, but what do I bring on the first day because on neither of the letter I got from the colleges they say anything about the stuff I need bring on the first day or just what I will need throughout the year?
Hi!

Firstly, don't worry about it all too much - there will be plenty of other students in similar situations to you, and even those bringing their friend groups along with them will be willing to get to know new people :smile: I would suggest you try chatting to people in lessons, and making an effort to try to get to know people even though you're shy :smile: Are you doing any particularly 'sociable' subjects e.g. languages? I made some really great friends through being forced to talk to them in French :tongue:
Also, join a few societies and get involved in college life :smile: There will be loads of societies e.g. sports, music, film, debate, etc. and you can meet people with similar interests to you that way too :smile: If your college has a facebook group you could try putting a message up like "Hey, is anyone else keen to join the Karate society - it would be great to get to know other girls who are interested :smile:" as you can get to know people in advance and then hopefully meet them at college :smile:

First day, I would bring in:
-stationary
-pad of holepunched paper
-ringbinder folder
-calculator (if you're doing mathsy subjects - but don't but a fancy new one in advance since they may suggest particular models during class)
-some sweets/ small chocolates to share around if you meet some new people at lunch
-something interesting to do e.g. pack of cards (NOT a book/ gameboy/ anything else unsociable!)
-phone (get people's numbers :smile: )
-money
-enthusiasm

You probably won't need to bring textbooks since they may not have told you which ones you need, or if you don't know your timetable you don't want to bring in a massive bag of textbooks to find you only have one lesson that day. Also, don't buy things like a planner/ homework diary because some schools will give you one.

Your first day will probably mostly be spent doing icebreakers in your tutor group and filling in paperwork. You may have a couple of lessons in the afternoon, but you won't really be starting any work - just having an introduction to the course and being told about things like the homework schedule or how you can find their class notes online.

Good luck, you'll be fine :smile:
Ive been in a similar situation. Seriously, when you get there my best piece of advice would be to say hi to whoever you're sat next to ,and if you can introduce yourself :smile: Then the next time you see them say hi again. They will become a friendly face. Also, many colleges don't really do much on the first day and it will basically just be getting to know people. They'll probably play a few games with you so you can all get to know each other, because remember the teachers don't know most people either :smile: you will be fun I promise as there will be a lot of people in the same boat as you :biggrin: If it comforts you, in high school I knew nobody at all. By the end, I knew every face and they knew me :smile:

What to bring?
A pen , a pencil , a highlighter and a notebook. A phone.
That's what I brought , I wouldn't over do it with bringing loads of stationary because you won't need it on the first day.

After the first day, I suggest getting a ring binder or folder for each subject because organisation really is key to success! Good luck :smile:
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago nearly. I was in a city that I didn't know that well and joining a college where I knew one person and even then she was on a different course and we never saw each other (we both had different break times etc) Most people will not know anyone too so everyone will be really nice trying to make friends with each other. Your college will probably do some ice breaker activities where you get to know the people in your group and they make it easier to make friends (they usually involve group work and something creative!)

Try not to worry about it too much and you'll be okay. I would just take paper, pens and pencils for your first day.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Hi!

Firstly, don't worry about it all too much - there will be plenty of other students in similar situations to you, and even those bringing their friend groups along with them will be willing to get to know new people :smile: I would suggest you try chatting to people in lessons, and making an effort to try to get to know people even though you're shy :smile: Are you doing any particularly 'sociable' subjects e.g. languages? I made some really great friends through being forced to talk to them in French :tongue:
Also, join a few societies and get involved in college life :smile: There will be loads of societies e.g. sports, music, film, debate, etc. and you can meet people with similar interests to you that way too :smile: If your college has a facebook group you could try putting a message up like "Hey, is anyone else keen to join the Karate society - it would be great to get to know other girls who are interested :smile:" as you can get to know people in advance and then hopefully meet them at college :smile:

First day, I would bring in:
-stationary
-pad of holepunched paper
-ringbinder folder
-calculator (if you're doing mathsy subjects - but don't but a fancy new one in advance since they may suggest particular models during class)
-some sweets/ small chocolates to share around if you meet some new people at lunch
-something interesting to do e.g. pack of cards (NOT a book/ gameboy/ anything else unsociable!)
-phone (get people's numbers :smile: )
-money
-enthusiasm

You probably won't need to bring textbooks since they may not have told you which ones you need, or if you don't know your timetable you don't want to bring in a massive bag of textbooks to find you only have one lesson that day. Also, don't buy things like a planner/ homework diary because some schools will give you one.

Your first day will probably mostly be spent doing icebreakers in your tutor group and filling in paperwork. You may have a couple of lessons in the afternoon, but you won't really be starting any work - just having an introduction to the course and being told about things like the homework schedule or how you can find their class notes online.

Good luck, you'll be fine :smile:

Thank you for your reply.
Me being so shy is probably because of English being my second language. Even though people say I speak very well, I still get extremely nervous especially public speaking.. But yes, I guess I just have to ''man up'' haha.
I will be doing engineering, maths and physics well if I get the grades of course but hopefully I will be able to find similar interests among the people in my classes, although I'm sure in engineering the majority will be boys.
Oh and the idea of bringing sweets/chocolate is great, as nobody would say no to some food, so thanks for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest