_hml_98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I am stuck on which A level options to pick for next month. I am predicted either Bs or Cs and distinctions in my level 2 BTECs. I am unsure on my career path but would like to attend university.

The options I am considering are;

Business studies
Law
Sociology
Geography
Pyschology
BTEC business - subsidiary diploma
BTEC media - subsidiary diploma
BTEC applied science - subsidiary diploma
BTEC ICT - subsidiary diploma

I need to choose four options with most likely one BTEC and three A levels. If you have or are studing any options above you feedback and views in the subjects would be nice to heard as I am so unsure and so close to picking them on GCSE results day.

Thank you.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In general, the advice is to choose things you're interested in and would like to study further. Happier, more engaged students consistently do better in exams and have to struggle less along the way. If you could study anything at university, what would it be?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by tory88)
In general, the advice is to choose things you're interested in and would like to study further. Happier, more engaged students consistently do better in exams and have to struggle less along the way. If you could study anything at university, what would it be?
Very true but no subjects seem that interesting to me. I just want to finish the two years with good grades.

I have no idea whatsoever on what to study at uni which is kind of a problem so I'm trying not to close off too many areas with my subject choice.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _hml_98)
Very true but no subjects seem that interesting to me. I just want to finish the two years with good grades.

I have no idea whatsoever on what to study at uni which is kind of a problem so I'm trying not to close off too many areas with my subject choice.
Do you have an idea of the sort of job you would like to pursue? Or do you have any jobs you definitely wouldn't want to do? Do you have any work experience?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
Do you have an idea of the sort of job you would like to pursue? Or do you have any jobs you definitely wouldn't want to do? Do you have any work experience?
I definitley wouldn't want a career in science, maths, history or law for sure. No idea on work I would to do though.

Sadly I don't have any work experience.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I definitley wouldn't want a career in science, maths, history or law for sure. No idea on work I would to do though.

Sadly I don't have any work experience.
In which case, there's no point in taking law at A-level - it's not particularly respected and if you don't want to work in law there's no reason to study it. Could you ask some former teachers what they think is best?
_hml_98
Rep:
?
In which case, there's no point in taking law at A-level - it's not particularly respected and if you don't want to work in law there's no reason to study it. Could you ask some former teachers what they think is best?
On results day when I pick my options there will be teachers to ask. Don't want a career in law but think studying the subject would be good as well as being able to get a decent grade in it as I've heard as lots of it is to do with a good memory.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
On results day when I pick my options there will be teachers to ask. Don't want a career in law but think studying the subject would be good as well as being able to get a decent grade in it as I've heard as lots of it is to do with a good memory.
That's good - they'll be able to give better advice than anyone on here. Law isn't really that respected as a subject, so something else would look better. For a guide to choosing respected subjects, the Russell group have released this helpful guide, which should be of use to you.
_hml_98
Rep:
?
That's good - they'll be able to give better advice than anyone on here. Law isn't really that respected as a subject, so something else would look better. For a guide to choosing respected subjects, the Russell group have released this helpful guide, which should be of use to you.
I'll check it out, thank you.
Erica_dss
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone give me ideas on which of the three options I should choose as my A Level - I want to do medicine in university

Option 1) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , Computer Science

Option 2) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , English Literature

Option 3) - Biology , Chemistry , Computer Science , English Literature

If you have any other advice I should take I'd happily take it , however i don't want to do physics at all so any ideas please , thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
I am stuck on which A level options to pick for next month. I am predicted either Bs or Cs and distinctions in my level 2 BTECs. I am unsure on my career path but would like to attend university.

The options I am considering are;

Business studies
Law
Sociology
Geography
Pyschology
BTEC business - subsidiary diploma
BTEC media - subsidiary diploma
BTEC applied science - subsidiary diploma
BTEC ICT - subsidiary diploma

I need to choose four options with most likely one BTEC and three A levels. If you have or are studing any options above you feedback and views in the subjects would be nice to heard as I am so unsure and so close to picking them on GCSE results day.

Thank you.

Most of the subjects you mentioned are so called 'soft' subjects - not very well respected by universities. I would say that Geography and to a lesser extent Psychology are the only highly respected subjects on your list. Most degree courses will specify certain A level subjects or at least look for certain types of subjects (e.g. you would struggle to get into a History degree having studied only sciences at A level) - so really try and think about what you would be interested in to work out which subjects will be needed. If you google 'careers for a geography degree' or 'degrees for Sociology A level' etc. you can find out what kind of jobs/ degree you could end up doing.

BTECs are generally less well-regarded than A levels, although universities using UCAS points for entrance criteria may be more willing to accept them (these are generally lower ranked universities - generalising a lot here). However, if you are just interested in getting good grades and do well at coursework they may be more suitable for you (since I believe they have less exams?).

Personally I don't really know what to suggest as you don't have any particular plans for after A levels. If you are keen on going to a good university or a competitive course, then perhaps head more down the A levels route than BTECs and pick stronger subjects - have you considered doing a language, English, History, etc.? They are generally very well respected. I would suggest picking two stronger subjects and perhaps one 'softer' A level or BTEC? Maybe your school will be able to give you better advice than me though!

Just as an example, if you were considering a Psychology degree taking Psychology, Sociology, English (lang or lit), a language, History, perhaps Business Studies could be A levels to consider (in order of suitability, as determined by my totally unreliable guesswork skills - pick four subjects, drop the one you do worst in/ dislike the most after AS).

A business degree would also go well with these subjects, although I would add Maths as being a very useful A level to have, and Law may be slightly relevant.

(Original post by Erica_dss)
Can anyone give me ideas on which of the three options I should choose as my A Level - I want to do medicine in university

Option 1) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , Computer Science

Option 2) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , English Literature

Option 3) - Biology , Chemistry , Computer Science , English Literature

If you have any other advice I should take I'd happily take it , however i don't want to do physics at all so any ideas please , thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I would say option 2. For medicine you only really need Biology and Chemistry. Some universities like to see a science subject (e.g. maths), however a couple like a 'contrasting' subject - e.g. English Literature. You could also consider a language? Personally I think English lit would be better than CompSci since you get the essay writing and thinking skills, and it is a more 'traditional' subject which they may possibly prefer? However, if you really love computers than it should be fine to study CompSci instead! There's a page on TSR somewhere with medical school requirements and advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.45%
I'm not sure (8)
2.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (107)
34.52%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.29%
I'm not a current university student (140)
45.16%

Watched Threads