The Student Room Group

A duck that can't float

Hellllooooooo fellow TSRians!
I'll get to it and tell you my back story.

I am 18 years old an I've never kissed someone let alone been in a relationship or had sex. I can even count on one hand the times I've had physical contact with a guy, and I mean hugs! Obviously that doesn't include my dad or grandad. I'm going to university in September (fingers crossed) and it just suddenly hit me that I've missed out on classic teenage growing up. Does anyone else feel the same? It dawned on me that I never got to have those girlie talks with friends, ooh and ahh at sleepovers over things. I've been at the sleepovers of course but I never truly got to take part. I'm just feeling kind of down at the moment because it's not like I didn't want to become close with someone so I'm of the mind that no one wanted to. As I said I'm hopefully off to uni in September and I'm going to be that one that has done nothing remotely 'normal' and although people will probably say that it's still normal, I can't stress enough that I WANT(ED) to. It's not some female empowerment thing, pfft I wish! Plus what's scaring me with uni is that if it appears no guy wanted become closer to me then what's to stop that from continuing?

I can't be alone here can I?! I like to think I'm fairly outgoing and am likeable- I have a good amount of female friends but barely any guys anymore and even when they were there is was just mild friendship. It's the past year that it's really hit me and watching all my friends move their relationships to a more serious level as year and two year anniversaries go by makes it worst!

This really isn't a plea for sympathy by the way, I'm just looking for some advice from people who have been though similar. A chat with others in the same situation would be nice too :smile:
Reply 1
beautifully titled
Reply 2
Original post by louieee
beautifully titled

Why thank you, I quite liked the analogy
Reply 3
I am sure you will discover your buoyancy in the big pond of university life..
Reply 4
I probably should have put this in the mental health forum. I'm actually feeling really down about this and need some real advice from people :/
I was the same as you :smile: I'm 19 now and, whilst I don't go to uni, I've had more contact with boys so I can assure you, it does get better. :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I probably should have put this in the mental health forum. I'm actually feeling really down about this and need some real advice from people :/

Sorry, your title made me think a little flippancy might be in order. I too had a lot of girl / relationship angst - mainly due to lack of action and being friendzoned. But with time and persistence things come good. Going to see a young persons councillor could be a good bet. I imagine most colleges/unis have them. I did this once and the person had a great listening ear and was very in tune with young people's issues. Good luck
Original post by Anonymous
Hellllooooooo fellow TSRians!
I'll get to it and tell you my back story.

I am 18 years old an I've never kissed someone let alone been in a relationship or had sex. I can even count on one hand the times I've had physical contact with a guy, and I mean hugs! Obviously that doesn't include my dad or grandad. I'm going to university in September (fingers crossed) and it just suddenly hit me that I've missed out on classic teenage growing up. Does anyone else feel the same? It dawned on me that I never got to have those girlie talks with friends, ooh and ahh at sleepovers over things. I've been at the sleepovers of course but I never truly got to take part. I'm just feeling kind of down at the moment because it's not like I didn't want to become close with someone so I'm of the mind that no one wanted to. As I said I'm hopefully off to uni in September and I'm going to be that one that has done nothing remotely 'normal' and although people will probably say that it's still normal, I can't stress enough that I WANT(ED) to. It's not some female empowerment thing, pfft I wish! Plus what's scaring me with uni is that if it appears no guy wanted become closer to me then what's to stop that from continuing?

I can't be alone here can I?! I like to think I'm fairly outgoing and am likeable- I have a good amount of female friends but barely any guys anymore and even when they were there is was just mild friendship. It's the past year that it's really hit me and watching all my friends move their relationships to a more serious level as year and two year anniversaries go by makes it worst!

This really isn't a plea for sympathy by the way, I'm just looking for some advice from people who have been though similar. A chat with others in the same situation would be nice too :smile:

There are lots and lots of people in your situation. :smile: :hugs:

I don't think this is anything to do with you - sometimes the right person just takes a while to come along. :smile:

Going to university will give you the opportunity to meet loads of new people, and hopefully find someone that you gel with. It will happen - and once it does you'll realise that it REALLY doesn't matter whether you had your first kiss at 14 or 24. :smile: Things happen at different times for different people, there is no 'normal'. :smile:

So please try not to get too down about this. :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending