The Student Room Group

I'm really confused! Please help!

I'm interested in doing Psychology as well Law at University and I was considering doing it as a joint honours degree. However, my aunt is telling me that I'm better off doing something like Social Work. I have considered doing social work but I want to move away from home therefore was looking for courses that are not found at Universities near where I live. I know that what i want to do is help people and understand them but I'm having a hard time starting my personal statement because I am not sure about what i really want to do! I just need to know, is it good to do a joint honours degree of Psychology with Law/ Law with Psychology?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by natashan49
I'm interested in doing Psychology as well Law at University and I was considering doing it as a joint honours degree. However, my aunt is telling me that I'm better off doing something like Social Work. I have considered doing social work but I want to move away from home therefore was looking for courses that are not found at Universities near where I live. I know that what i want to do is help people and understand them but I'm having a hard time starting my personal statement because I am not sure about what i really want to do! I just need to know, is it good to do a joint honours degree of Psychology with Law/ Law with Psychology?

Have you thought of Criminology with Sociology?
I can't help you with your question, but maybe contact the departments in the universities you like and ask them the difference between the degrees, or attend an open day and speak to the teachers
Hey :smile: definitely look at the difference between the courses- see which one you'll enjoy more- another helpful thing is career lists, here's one from Nottingham for law with psychology:
Solicitor
Barrister
In-house Counsel
Trade Mark Attorney
Trade Union Consultant
Freedom of Information Adviser
Human Resources Officer
Investment Banker
Auditor
Victim Support Caseworker
Review and Features Editor
Quantity Surveyor
Business Development Manager
Sports Marketing Analyst.

I'm sure you can find more and ones for social work too- this will give you an idea about where each degree can take you- obviously psychology and law is going to be more flexible in terms of careers, but if you're looking to do something specific then social work may be more your ball game- hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest