Idle your diesel - get on the spot fine

Watch
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
afaik stopping and starting diesels makes a lot more black smoke, possibly other pollutants though I suppose it'll depend on how long the engine's cooled down for each time.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/islington-counc...drivers--94853

apparently the local authorities have had the powers to do this for years but islington is the first to use them... wonder if it'll catch on?
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
afaik stopping and starting diesels makes a lot more black smoke, possibly other pollutants though I suppose it'll depend on how long the engine's cooled down for each time.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/islington-counc...drivers--94853

apparently the local authorities have had the powers to do this for years but islington is the first to use them... wonder if it'll catch on?
In theory makes sense, reducing the emissions by cutting emissions of the vehicles which pollute the most...but it's going to be a bit of a difficult one to enforce surely? I wonder where they'll draw the line at stationary...does that mean even just sitting at the lights normally?

Also, lorries and buses are obvious ones to be included, but all diesel cars? I don't think that's right, especially as there are a number which produce under 100g/km of CO2 - the lowest band in terms of tax, so why should these drivers also be charged?

Should be done on cars above a certain age or CO2 emissions, if they want to implement it on cars too, but then that's just even more work to try and determine who to stop, and who not to stop.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Tappouni)
In theory makes sense, reducing the emissions by cutting emissions of the vehicles which pollute the most...but it's going to be a bit of a difficult one to enforce surely? I wonder where they'll draw the line at stationary...does that mean even just sitting at the lights normally?

Also, lorries and buses are obvious ones to be included, but all diesel cars? I don't think that's right, especially as there are a number which produce under 100g/km of CO2 - the lowest band in terms of tax, so why should these drivers also be charged?

Should be done on cars above a certain age or CO2 emissions, if they want to implement it on cars too, but then that's just even more work to try and determine who to stop, and who not to stop.
the discussion seems to be moving on from CO2 to other pollutants and the tide appears be turning against diesel cars - boris recently announced an additional charge for diesels driven in the central congestion zone.
http://www.lbc.co.uk/diesel-cars-cou...n-london-94516

I guess they'll have inspectors/pcsos staking out taxi ranks, school drops and kerbside loading bays, busses are usually left with the engine on when they're waiting in the station, as are diesel engined trains tbh.

Trying to ticket people queueing at traffic lights doesn't seem sensible tho'.
Tappouni
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
the discussion seems to be moving on from CO2 to other pollutants and the tide appears be turning against diesel cars - boris recently announced an additional charge for diesels driven in the central congestion zone.
http://www.lbc.co.uk/diesel-cars-cou...n-london-94516

I guess they'll have inspectors/pcsos staking out taxi ranks, school drops and kerbside loading bays, busses are usually left with the engine on when they're waiting in the station, as are diesel engined trains tbh.

Trying to ticket people queueing at traffic lights doesn't seem sensible tho'.
Certain does seem to be strong opposition to diesels - I saw that article about the additional charge in London the other day, but it does state that it's only for diesels over 6 years old, so at least they take into account that newer diesels generally aren't so bad.

I imagine that's probably what will happen, though actually if they're going for the more recent vehicles, many of them automatically have a turn off feature (the engine automatically turns off if the vehicle is stationary for more than a few seconds, and you just depress the clutch to fire it up again), so it might not affect everyone too badly.

Ticketing at lights would be silly, and I really don't see how the cost of policing this will be justified/do-able. It's all cuts cuts cuts, so introducing another measure isn't going to help.
Coffinman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The government should have never giving people tax breaks for diesels on the basis of low co2 when the rest of the exhaust literally stinks.
Camoxide
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're looking for new ways to tax cars due to falling revenue from VED (which a lot of modern diesels don't have to pay) and falling congestion charge revenue which most diesels don't have to pay either.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't take long to realize diesels while low in co2 had plenty of other pollutants. Stupid Liebour government that came up with stupid policies that favoured diesel where they should have further researched it rather than rush a policy.

I guess it won't be long before auto stop/start systems become mandatory in all new vehicles, diesel or petrol.

Probably will be the end of stronger residual values for diesels.

(Original post by Camoxide)
They're looking for new ways to tax cars due to falling revenue from VED (which a lot of modern diesels don't have to pay) and falling congestion charge revenue which most diesels don't have to pay either.
It is actually a directive from EU. There are certain targets for air pollution that needs to be met across Europe.

Anyway these type of regulations aren't new, Norway and Sweden has long had such laws where you can get a fine for letting your car idle even if it happens to be at your own driveway.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So hold it at 1500 rpm. Not idling then is it!
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
So hold it at 1500 rpm. Not idling then is it!
"It's not idling, it's operating the Air Conditioning and the Alternator at optimal revs"
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I remember in Paris for a few days there was a scheme for alternate day use of cars because of high pollution. Maybe try this for diesel cars, and the number will reduce dramatically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.95%

Watched Threads