Seurat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi.
I've just started losing weight (lost 1kg so far) and I just had a few questions about things that I'm not too sure about.

Without going into too much detail, my overall plan is to lose around 10kg in about 10 weeks. Is this feasible?
I'm not obese but I do have a bit of chub that I'd like to get rid of.

Basically I've been using MyFitnessPal to track & limit calorie consumption & include calories burned from gym (I've been going most days).
I haven't really been thinking much about my protein consumption- I've just been trying to cut out all processed junk (eg sweets, white bread, crisps) and limit my calorie intake.
I mostly eat bananas, tangerines and skimmed milk when I snack.

However somebody said to me I need to really increase my protein intake and limit carbohydrates. I eat banans because theyre cheap- I'm actually incredibly skint.
Does increasing protein help lose weight? My gym offer protein shakes (handmade) with whey, would taking those before/after a workout help?

Any ideas about what food I could buy, considering I'm very poor?
Also, any general diet/exercise tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Protein is very important when trying to gain muscle. When losing weight, you should do more cardiovascular work and protein is less important (although it's always important to have protein in your diet).

Just eat less, eat better ( more fruit & veg, less dairy, less fatty foods, etc) and continue to exercise.

Also drink lots of water and consider green/white tea. These will curb your appetite.
Seurat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steezy)
Protein is very important when trying to gain muscle. When losing weight, you should do more cardiovascular work and protein is less important (although it's always important to have protein in your diet).

Just eat less, eat better ( more fruit & veg, less dairy, less fatty foods, etc) and continue to exercise.

Also drink lots of water and consider green/white tea. These will curb your appetite.
I generally do around 1hr 20mins of cardio anyway. Do you have any advice for keeping up willpower and staying away from junk?
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So far, I've lost 40lbs and aiming to lose another 10 to become my healthy weight for my height. I did it by cutting out carbs (bread, fruits apart from berries, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc...) and drinking 2x my recommended daily allowance in water and green tea.
I would really recommend no carbs, because your body relies on carbs for energy so when you don't consume the carbs your body will burn fat for energy which is AMAZING!
For lunch and dinner I have a chicken portion (something like a fiver for 10 portions? idk) and salad (iceberg or lambs lettuce, both affordable ) You could go to the supermarket quite late to get the deals, I once got a pack of 6 peppers for 30p
Mainly fill yourself up on water, it's free!
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A kilo a week is a relatively safe and feasible amount to lose. Although, if you lose 5kg in 5 weeks for example, the rate of weight loss after will decrease as your metabolism slows down to conserve calories. HIIT is good for boosting this.

You should have a good amount of protein (2g per kg of bodyweight is a guideline), and weight training to build/conserve muscle. Increasing muscle mass increases your daily calorie requirements so it will help you lose weight quicker.
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Seurat)
I generally do around 1hr 20mins of cardio anyway. Do you have any advice for keeping up willpower and staying away from junk?
No one can really help you with willpower, that's all up to you. Just don't put yourself in a position where you're confronted by unhealthy foods. If you go to a supermarket, write a list beforehand and don't buy anything apart from what's on the list.

What I would recommend is getting a juicer and having one or two juices per day of veggies which you previously wouldn't eat. (carrots, kale, beets, cucumber, lemon is a good juice to have - covers a lot of things & tastes pretty good).

These added vitamins & minerals will give your body everything it needs to get to a healthy weight.
Seurat
Rep:
?
(Original post by ImagineCats)
So far, I've lost 40lbs and aiming to lose another 10 to become my healthy weight for my height. I did it by cutting out carbs (bread, fruits apart from berries, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc...) and drinking 2x my recommended daily allowance in water and green tea.
I would really recommend no carbs, because your body relies on carbs for energy so when you don't consume the carbs your body will burn fat for energy which is AMAZING!
For lunch and dinner I have a chicken portion (something like a fiver for 10 portions? idk) and salad (iceberg or lambs lettuce, both affordable ) You could go to the supermarket quite late to get the deals, I once got a pack of 6 peppers for 30p
Ok I might try this then, congrats on your achievements so far! Do you have any recommendations as well as chicken? What kind of veg do you eat, and where else do you get protein from?
h3isenberg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A bit of an oversimplification. A no carb diet will make you feel lethargic and the body will turn to amino acids for energy (gluconeogenesis) which it can obtain from muscle catabolism, as well as fat.

A protein carb fat ratio of 5 2 3 is fine, it's more about calories than macronutrients.
Seurat
Rep:
?
(Original post by h3isenberg)
A kilo a week is a relatively safe and feasible amount to lose. Although, if you lose 5kg in 5 weeks for example, the rate of weight loss after will decrease as your metabolism slows down to conserve calories. HIIT is good for boosting this.

You should have a good amount of protein (2g per kg of bodyweight is a guideline), and weight training to build/conserve muscle. Increasing muscle mass increases your daily calorie requirements so it will help you lose weight quicker.
I'm generally a bit lost about weight training- never done it before. Can you give me an example on what I can do?
Seurat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steezy)
No one can really help you with willpower, that's all up to you. Just don't put yourself in a position where you're confronted by unhealthy foods. If you go to a supermarket, write a list beforehand and don't buy anything apart from what's on the list.

What I would recommend is getting a juicer and having one or two juices per day of veggies which you previously wouldn't eat. (carrots, kale, beets, cucumber, lemon is a good juice to have - covers a lot of things & tastes pretty good).

These added vitamins & minerals will give your body everything it needs to get to a healthy weight.
That's a good idea. I'll look into it- thanks
h3isenberg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm generally a bit lost about weight training- never done it before. Can you give me an example on what I can do?
Ice Cream Fitness is a popular routine on this forum for beginners wanting to build muscle and strength.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...novice-workout

Click on the exercise names for a demonstration if you want.
Seurat
Rep:
?
Ice Cream Fitness is a popular routine on this forum for beginners wanting to build muscle and strength.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...novice-workout

Click on the exercise names for a demonstration if you want.
Just taken a look. A bit intimidated by the barbell stuff if I'm honest haha, at my gym the barbell area is normally hogged by body-building zyzz types
Jamie73
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Following on from H3isenberg's response. It seems one of the most fundamentally important factors in weight loss is calculating your average BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - energy burned at rest and then your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - energy burned at exercise. There are multiple calculators on the internet but the formulas are not always correct to an average (Mifflin St Jeor) or you can calculate it yourself.

Losing weight is achieved by the body burning fat by eating under your daily calorie requirements and then exercising through cardiovascular activity or weight training.
Jamie73
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have to heavily disagree with the above routine which is a typical compound 5 exercises by 5 sets. These are not designed for complete beginners because compound exercises require correct form and for those who haven't exercised properly, you need to isolate and strengthen the core before undergoing any type of compound movement.

Compound exercises such as squats, bench press require someone with experience to help you correct your form or you will lead yourself to personal injury because you're not lifting properly. Personal exercise is more about self discovery and you need to do the research to find exercises which you can do, exercises with equipment you have access to.

Before I went into compound training, I spent a good three months building up a solid foundation by strengthening my lower back and my core through basic bodyweight resistance. This included stretching before and after training because I personally believe it helped prevent DOMS (Delayed On set Muscle Soreness) and the exercises were basic tricep dips, push ups, dorsal raises, crunches and step ups. I built those into simple circuits and then played around with pyramids and super sets until I had the strength and money to get into a gym.

Find out what you like doing, you don't have to go to a gym to exercise and lose weight. A pair of running shoes, an ipod, an open road and a healthy balanced diet will help you achieve those goals.
ImagineCats
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok I might try this then, congrats on your achievements so far! Do you have any recommendations as well as chicken? What kind of veg do you eat, and where else do you get protein from?
I mainly eat salad, but I eat cauliflower instead of mash potatoes/rice, Onions, mushrooms, peppers and I think green beans are allowed I eat loads of eggs for protein too. Breakfast is usually smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, then lunch is labs lettuce, cucumber, tuna and a boiled egg salad. It's delicious! You can eat pretty much anything other than chicken. Towards the beginning I mainly ate white meat to flush out the stuff that clogs up my digestive system, so thats anything that flies (chicken, turkey, bird, etc. and fish) but now I eat anything. Most people will tell you to avoid steaks, but they're not harmful or unhealthy. I grill mine with garlic and rosemary and it only has 3g of carbs. Meat is ridiculously low in carbs, as long as you make them with spices and lemon juice, or anything that doesn't have a high sugar content. Use the juices from making your chicken and pour a small bit on your salad on the side, it's delicious!
Thanks so much It was hard, but really worth it. Feel free to message me whenever you have a question on losing weight!
Also, if you have tumblr I recommend finding some 'fitblr's' (funeralformyfat.tumblr.com is my INSPIRATION!) They'll keep you motivated with like-minded people
ImagineCats
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A bit of an oversimplification. A no carb diet will make you feel lethargic and the body will turn to amino acids for energy (gluconeogenesis) which it can obtain from muscle catabolism, as well as fat.

A protein carb fat ratio of 5 2 3 is fine, it's more about calories than macronutrients.
Meh, I was full of energy to lose all of my weight. Worked for me
ImagineCats
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi.
I've just started losing weight (lost 1kg so far) and I just had a few questions about things that I'm not too sure about.

Without going into too much detail, my overall plan is to lose around 10kg in about 10 weeks. Is this feasible?

Basically I've been using MyFitnessPal to track & limit calorie consumption & include calories burned from gym (I've been going most days).
I haven't really been thinking much about my protein consumption- I've just been trying to cut out all processed junk (eg sweets, white bread, crisps) and limit my calorie intake.

However somebody said to me I need to really increase my protein intake and limit carbohydrates. I eat banans because theyre cheap- I'm actually incredibly skint.
Does increasing protein help lose weight? My gym offer protein shakes (handmade) with whey, would taking those before/after a workout help?

Thanks
Plus, my diet was called the 'Atkins Diet', I'm being pretty stupid mentioning it on here because if you ever mention atkins wherever you go, you'll be hated or proved wrong (take this thread for example). My mum got the book so I used it and it explains everything in there. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diets and this sort of stuff haha
lizziec1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
out of curiosity, what is your recommended daily allowance of water?
ttankzhang
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi.

Thanks
1kg per week is quite a lot though you'll lose some water weight to start with probably if you cut out junk food with loads of salt it in. You need to have close to a 1000 calorie deficit every day for that goal. Restrict carbs so you're in a calorific deficit but no need to completely remove them. I would recommend them after workouts rather than other times since you're highly insulin-sensitive at this point and you need to replenish glycogen levels so you can keep training.

If you only do cardio you'll tend towards a 'skinny-fat' look - you need to lift weights. You're absolutely fine to start using weights in big compound exercises as long as you start at a comfortable weight. ICF is a good starter's choice.

Would suggest the whey but probably cheaper to buy your own online, I'm guessing that homemade stuff is expensive as...
Jamie73
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Plus, my diet was called the 'Atkins Diet', I'm being pretty stupid mentioning it on here because if you ever mention atkins wherever you go, you'll be hated or proved wrong (take this thread for example). My mum got the book so I used it and it explains everything in there. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diets and this sort of stuff haha
Isn't that diet incredibly controversial because it centered purely around low carb diet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (140)
14.39%
I'm not sure (42)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (291)
29.91%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (475)
48.82%

Watched Threads