The Student Room Group

Crappy predicted grades - applying for medicine abroad

Hi guys,

Excuse my french in the title, but yeah, I have some fairly crappy predicted grades (ABBBB) due to a rollercoaster of personal issues this year and my teachers don't really want to do anything about it. Don't get me wrong, I've appealed my grades numerous times, but they're damn lazy and don't realise how much it disadvantages my application. I've even tried external exam centers to learn all the content myself but they're having none of it.
Given my situation, I know, I know, a gap year is probably the most sensible option, but I really don't want to waste a year of my life when I have no money nor ideas to spend on it.
So, in order to study medicine WITHOUT taking a year out OR doing biomedical science and applying as a postgrad (which is a damn huge amount of time) I'm now having to consider applying abroad, and I'd like some advice on how/where to do it. I have 7 A*'s and 3 A's at IGCSE, 2 weeks of work experience, plenty of extra-curricular activities (footie captain etc.) and I hope I'll get a high UKCAT score as I scored the highest in my year group during a mock last month. Please advise on where I can apply or what I can do to circumvent these predicted grades or how I can make use of them.

Cheers,

And also, if you have any ideas on what I can still do to fix my predictions then please please advise as I would like to stay in the UK ideally - I'm not made of money.

Oh yeah, I'm in year 12
(edited 8 years ago)
If your parents want you to start work asap, why are you then spending more money going abroad? Those are still very good grades and could most likely you get you into biomed. You can go into Medicine after. If you're willing to stay in Uni for that long
Are those your AS predicted grades? They are still really good grades. It's better to find out you A2 predicted grades before jumping to any conclusions. And I would advice only doing 3 A-levels.
Do you have to put predicted AS grades on your application?
Can't you just wait 8 days to see what grades you actually get?
Those are good grades... :/
Reply 6
It seems financially more worthwhile to take a gap year and earn some money, whilst also applying with your grades in hand.

Studying abroad may seem like the better option now but it will be either financially draining; living costs and flights, or emotionally draining; being away from family and friends for so long. The there are the costs of coming back to work in the UK which is not always guaranteed depending on where you study.

If you took a gap year and worked, you would be able to immediately contribute to the family or save up for university such that you don't need to rely on family.

In the mean time I would say apply for 2015 to familiarise yourself with the application process. Can't hurt and you have nothing to lose by applying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zorg
It seems financial more worthwhile to take a gap year and earn some money, whilst also applying with your grades in hand.

Studying abroad may seem like the better option now but it will be either financially draining; living costs and flights, or emotionally draining; being away from family and friends for so long. The there are the costs of coming back to work in the UK which is not always guaranteed depending on where you study.

If you took a gap year and worked, you would be able to immediately contribute to the family or save up for university such that you don't need to rely on family.

In the mean time I would say apply for 2015 to familiarise yourself with the application process. Can't hurt and you have nothing to lose by applying.

Agree with this. Going abroad is not an easy option and no guarantees that you'd be able to start work any sooner, plus you would have more limited funding options while at university.

You are not solely responsible for your family's welfare while you are a student. You can work during a gap year if necessary and support them that way, and if your siblings aren't academic and aren't going to go to uni, surely they should be getting jobs to support themselves?

Anyway, it's pointless speculating until you at least have some AS results and then some more definitive predicted grades after that. One piece of advice though, if you're struggling - drop at least one if not two subjects. Having 4 ore more A-levels only gives you an advantage at one or two places, and that's only if you get AAAA or higher - much better to concentrate on 3 and get AAA instead of AABB!
SGUL in Nicosia is good. You'll get a UK degree but study in Cyprus. They also have the benefit of rolling applications so you may be able to start soon.
I agree with the advice above - wait to see how your AS grades go, only do three A2s, and at least try applying in the UK this year if only to become more familiar with the application process - there is still a chance of getting an offer.
Try and get AAA predictions at A2 - if you get ABBB at AS and your Bs are quite close to As your teachers may be more flexible. Having lower than AAA will disadvantage your application somewhat...
Also, I would recommend trying to get more work experience - from what I've heard most medical students have done a lot more. It doesn't have to be directly in a hospital setting working with patients - you can also do voluntary caring work (e.g. in an old people's home/ nursery/ with disabled kids at an activity centre/ whatever) for example. They are looking for someone who has a passion for helping other people as well as the grades etc. If you end up taking a gap year, don't worry - this is the perfect opportunity to get some more work experience, particularly as you will be able to volunteer during the day during term time, when A level students will still be in school. You could get in touch with local charities, hospitals, care homes, nurseries, children's clubs, etc. and offer to help out. Some people go abroad to do medical placements - however you tend to have to pay a lot for these and the companies offering them are usually profit-making and not all that interested in helping the local community.
Studying abroad will probably be very expensive - and it would be better financially if you were able to get into medical school in the UK, even if you need to take a gap year.

You mentioned a need to support your parents financially - although they are your family it is not your duty to do so, and your siblings also have equal responsibility. Even if they don't go to university, they should still be working and attempting to progress within their career. It should not rest on you to support your family - you also need to think about what is best for you personally. You parents should have some kind of pension fund (or if they are UK citizens they should be able to get some state support - although I'm not sure of all the rules around this, they may need to have paid national insurance or something. No idea. Look it up if you want to know) and savings to rely on.
If you were solely motivated to financially support your parents you would be studying something like economics/ engineering etc. - a nice short 3 year degree with high graduate salaries. Studying medicine takes over twice as long, and even after graduation you still need additional training to read higher paid roles. Think carefully about why you want to study medicine - are you motivated to support other people etc. or do you just want a almost guaranteed, well-respected job with a high salary?
if you are in a private sixth form college with a scholarship I wouldn't change to a state school. How can you be so sure they will predict you a higher grade? There are always 2 sides on each tale, you may find it unfair but maybe your teachers/tutors are basing your prediction not only on exams but other factors. My advice would be to have a chat with your tutor and ask your parents to speak to the head of department/principal to discuss these issues.

Quick Reply