travelling 2015 usa america

Watch
tasha472
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i'm having a gap year before uni and planning on travelling around the USA. ive spoken to people who have expressed vague interest but nobody is set on it and i want to make plans. was wandering if anybody has any advice for travelling alone or finding travel companions etc: or even is doing the same?
blondepistol
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you ever thought about doing a Trek America trip? I'm doing it next August!
tasha472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by blondepistol)
Have you ever thought about doing a Trek America trip? I'm doing it next August!
Does it run throughout the year? As I was hoping to go winter / spring time!
blondepistol
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely! So many trips to choose from as well! I'll be doing LA, Grand Canyon, Vegas and San Francisco!
peedie pixie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going with TrekAmerica in 3 weeks time, and thus far I'd definitely recommend them! Whilst it costs you more money to go with them than to go it alone, there's an extra sense of security and you'll definitely be with other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
America is a pretty decent country for travelling alone in - there's no language barrier, and Americans tend to be pretty friendly.

I've spent time in New Orleans and Baltimore alone, and was generally able to make temporary friends by just striking up conversations in bars, coffee shops, book stores, etc. "Hi, I'm English, what's good around here?" works remarkably well.

If you're going on a gap year I'm guessing you're under 21? That might cause you some issues, as some places won't let you get a hotel room or rent a car under 21. But with a little advance planning you can work around that.

You can also looking at sites like Couchsurfing. Be careful to avoid the weirdos obviously, but people on there are generally friendly. It's a cheaper alternative to hotels and generally provides a supply of locals to talk to and learn about cool local stuff from.

How long are you thinking of being in the states for? Any particular area? Do you want to stay in one area, or get a car and drive around, or take the Amtrak/Greyhound/domestic flights between cities?
Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to go solo, I would wait until your 21+.

The reason is that there's barely any public transport in the US, except in the major cities, but to get from city to city you need a car. The problem with this is that all the car rental companies add on a massive fee to compensate for drivers under 21. If you take an 'full adult' (21+ years old), you might avoid this problem altogether though.

It's definitely a cool place to go, I suggest you pop into Canada for some brilliant scenery. But most of all, head into Mexico if possible, it's a fantastic country and there isn't much of a language barrier at all despite it being hispanic.

I second what other posters have said, go on a tour if you go to the US. Or wait it out until you're 21 and you can really get the most of the USA then. You might want to consider Europe instead by the way, it's very friendly and safe for young people, plus they offer huge discounts on under 21s. The transport and food is amazing, and there's loads to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.92%
No (76)
73.08%

Watched Threads