Should I do AS Sociology or AS Chemistry?

Watch
Summer Rose
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If this helps, my other subjects are Biology, Psychology and English Language/Literature combined... And im aiming to hopefully be a teacher, possibly primary x
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry would be a better complement to biology, and leave you open to doing any biology-related degrees later on, and possibly chemical ones where they don't require maths. This is possibly an advantage if you decide you may want to teach older (high school/college level) as there is a lot of demand for teachers holding science degrees. You may want to do some technical training, and top it off with a PCGE, to keep more doors open if you're unsure about teaching.

It's also a physical science, which means it's numerate, and that's a big thing for teaching. With that, over sociology, you're much closer to having a strong background in science, maths, and english. You do have biology and english for now though, which would be enough.

Depending on your university aims, it may keep you a more competitive candidate. Sociology, psychology, and sometimes combined english can all be considered subjects that are "soft" or less suitable. Having one is typically completely fine, but if you dropped biology you'd have three subjects all in this grey area, so it chemistry restricts you to at least making sure you have one rigorous academic subject. As I say, depends on the university as to how much they care about it.

My opinion: chemistry is a way better subject to have under your belt, but if you're going to stick with biology and english then i'd expect you're fine as you are. Lots of people struggle with chemistry, so if you can get an A or a B in sociology, versus a C or a D in chemistry then it's a no brainer really. Depends how you feel! I didn't want to do a-level chemistry, but it turned out to be really enjoyable and several years later i'm almost at the end of a degree in it.
MorganJ8
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have done both sociology and chemistry at AS level and I would suggest you take sociology.
For a primary teaching degree you don't need specific subjects. You already have a science with biology which will give you a bit of science knowledge. I found chemistry really hard and I regret taking it so much.
I really enjoyed sociology at AS level and found it much easier and enjoyable then chemistry. I would suggest sociology because you can get a good grade more easy.
Overall it's your decision and you have to consider what you want to do at uni ans if you are good at chemistry
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1160024
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry is incredibly hard so I'd do sociology if you don't have to do chemistry
JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Summer Rose)
If this helps, my other subjects are Biology, Psychology and English Language/Literature combined... And im aiming to hopefully be a teacher, possibly primary x
It went from Health and Social to Sociology to Chemistry..?
overthelove
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not going to lie... chemistry is hard! If you're not willing to put in a lot of hard work (this isn't to say sociology wouldn't be hard work too) then don't bother taking it. Of course, some institutions see chemistry as a more resourceful subject, but it's really down to how comfortable you feel with it.
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry! I'm not biased at all
zuzu096
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
chemistry! I did biology and Lit too. It just gives you a more rounded edge in my opinion. However I do agree that chemistry is really hard, but I found biology harder. You'll have to weigh up what you value more: subject choices or grades. No reason you can't ace chemistry at AS though! (it will just take some extra work)
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd do Chemistry as it is better but its ridiculously hard.

If I'm honest, and I don't mean to be rude, answer this yourself. You know what you can do and what you can't. Both are well-respected (Chemistry moreso than Sociology) so just go with your instincts. I took Politics based on what others told me and found it boring from my introductory lessons. I ended up switching for Biology and couldn't be more excited to begin.

Go with what you think.
Summer Rose
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you people! I've decided to do sociology just because im already doing a science and dont want to overcomplicate things x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.63%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.1%

Watched Threads