The Student Room Group

Biology Chemistry Psychology AND Maths or English?

Which one should I add on to those three Maths or English(Lan)
What are you thinking of doing in your future career? Any ideas?
Reply 2
Original post by LouieSax
What are you thinking of doing in your future career? Any ideas?

Biologist
Best bet is to go for the subject you enjoy the most or you think you can do the best in. But if you're dead set on becoming a Biologist I would choose maths personally (provided that you enjoy and are good at it) because there is small maths in Biology for example on my exam board for A2 you had to do a Chi Squared test, which is all maths. So I would recommend maths.

Thos subjects are a good combination because it opens up your options if you do suddenly change your mind on what you want to do :smile:
In all honesty your fourth subject is totally down to you. I have applied to study Biology at university and at AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics. I actually ended up dropping Chemistry at A2. So its up to you. Before deciding it may be a good idea to have a look at potential Universities you may be interested in and see the course details such as modules, which may make it a little easier for you to decide which fourth subject you want to take.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elmosandy
Which one should I add on to those three Maths or English(Lan)

Maths would be the best option in my opinion if you want to be a biologist, and opens doors to many other careers if you get good results from it :smile:
Biologist

Yay a fellow biologist :smile:

Are you definitely going to drop this 4th choice? If so I would do the one you enjoy the most and are best at. You have three science options already so it won't harm your application to do a non-science subject. You really do not need A level maths to do A level biology (there are a grand total of about 3 equations in biology A level, you are given all of them in the exam, told what all the symbols mean and usually just have to put numbers into the equation). If you are planning on dropping one of the others then maybe maths would be a bit better just so you have that extra science/maths subject.

So which do you prefer and which do you think you would do best it? :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Munrot07
Yay a fellow biologist :smile:

Are you definitely going to drop this 4th choice? If so I would do the one you enjoy the most and are best at. You have three science options already so it won't harm your application to do a non-science subject. You really do not need A level maths to do A level biology (there are a grand total of about 3 equations in biology A level, you are given all of them in the exam, told what all the symbols mean and usually just have to put numbers into the equation). If you are planning on dropping one of the others then maybe maths would be a bit better just so you have that extra science/maths subject.

So which do you prefer and which do you think you would do best it? :smile:

Good luck :smile:

I dont like them that much but probs english I would like more?
Reply 8
Original post by AmmaBrownie
In all honesty your fourth subject is totally down to you. I have applied to study Biology at university and at AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics. I actually ended up dropping Chemistry at A2. So its up to you. Before deciding it may be a good idea to have a look at potential Universities you may be interested in and see the course details such as modules, which may make it a little easier for you to decide which fourth subject you want to take.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tnx
Reply 9
Original post by Kitty-meaw
Maths would be the best option in my opinion if you want to be a biologist, and opens doors to many other careers if you get good results from it :smile:

Aha cool thanks:smile:
Reply 10
As several people have said, go for the one you enjoy the most - you've got to sudy it for at least two years so make sure you like it!
However, I did bio, chem, phys and maths, and the overlap between the courses (esp. maths and physics) was really really helpful, so maths would probably be the one that fits in the best!
Maths is definitely the better option, it's more relevant (especially the stats module) and is considered a 'hard' subject by unis. English language on the other hand is not as highly considered - it is a 'soft' subject and is less relevant to biology related careers. As psychology is a 'soft' subject I would suggest dropping that after AS if you drop any, and keep bio, chem and maths to A2 as long as you are getting good grades in them.
Aha cool thanks:smile:

English was really fun for me plus I only had one exam and coursework which was a plus. Regret picking chemistry instead of English for A2.

What grade are you predicted for English.
Original post by lilixxx1000
Maths is definitely the better option, it's more relevant (especially the stats module) and is considered a 'hard' subject by unis. English language on the other hand is not as highly considered - it is a 'soft' subject and is less relevant to biology related careers. As psychology is a 'soft' subject I would suggest dropping that after AS if you drop any, and keep bio, chem and maths to A2 as long as you are getting good grades in them.

Uni's don't really care about subjects anymore unless you're going for Medicine etc. More about grade's. English is considered a relatively "hard" A-level aswell.....

They only care about them A's........

I agree Pyschology is a soft subject though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ridwan12
English was really fun for me plus I only had one exam and coursework which was a plus. Regret picking chemistry instead of English for A2.

What grade are you predicted for English.

B/C:smile:
B/C:smile:

You should be capable of getting a B in English in AS if you get a B in GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest