Any information on alternative routes into medicine

Watch
calialilly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Received my higher results yesterday and was hoping to do medicine but now it won't be possible as i've missed out on the requirements.

Decided to stop feeling sad (hahahah) :bawling: and find out some info. Thinking about taking an alternative route such as doing biomed then applying to medicine post grad/ do biomed then transfer into medicine after first year.

Correct if I'm wrong with the above, as I'm not fully informed! Any help is appreciated
lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by calialilly)
Received my higher results yesterday and was hoping to do medicine but now it won't be possible as i've missed out on the requirements.

Decided to stop feeling sad (hahahah) :bawling: and find out some info. Thinking about taking an alternative route such as doing biomed then applying to medicine post grad/ do biomed then transfer into medicine after first year.

Correct if I'm wrong with the above, as I'm not fully informed! Any help is appreciated

Have you definitely been rejected? Sorry about that.

Yes both of those routes are possible. From my experience with transfers, you need the AAA at a level (i expect equivalent with highers) and a first in your first year. This is a very competitive route with only a few places available each year.

Take a look at foundation courses as depending on your financial situation and where you live you may be eligible to apply for them, and they have lower entry requirements.

If you can find some unis that accept retakes into a 3rd year, it may be worth retaking as it would allow you to earn money through the gap year as well.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Tip if you take biomed (from my experience at Sheffield): it is a very demanding course and you need to focus and work hard right from the start!
calialilly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, thanks for replying!
No I haven't actually applied yet I just got my S5 results which is the equivalent of yr12's AS.

I've been checking prospectuses for entry requirements, and they are all pretty high as expected. Do you know how strict some uni's are? For example if the minimum entry requirement for highers are ABBB and standard is AAAB is there even any point applying with AABBC?

(Sorry for the slow reply I've been really busy with work)

Posted from TSR Mobile
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Graduate entry route, if it's still around.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (682)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (859)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.51%

Watched Threads