The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do history at A level, without having done it at GCSE level?

Stupidly and regretfully, I chose not to study history at GCSE level. I have looked at previous threads on this matter and found that people do not find it hard to study A level history when they did not study history at GCSE level, as one studies different topics at A level from the topics at GCSE level. What I am wondering is: would sixth forms allow me to study history, if I have not got a GCSE qualification in it?
Sorry for the wordy question,
Many thanks. :smile:
Original post by BenedickandI
Stupidly and regretfully, I chose not to study history at GCSE level. I have looked at previous threads on this matter and found that people do not find it hard to study A level history when they did not study history at GCSE level, as one studies different topics at A level from the topics at GCSE level. What I am wondering is: would sixth forms allow me to study history, if I have not got a GCSE qualification in it?

Some Sixth Forms do, some don't. You're best to check the policies of individual sixth forms/colleges around you.
I was allowed to study A Level History without having done it for GCSE, but it will depend entirely on your Sixth Form.

For me, it hinged on having decent all round GCSEs in everything else, particularly English. If that hadn't been up to scratch I wouldn't have been allowed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzvipond
I was allowed to study A Level History without having done it for GCSE, but it will depend entirely on your Sixth Form.

For me, it hinged on having decent all round GCSEs in everything else, particularly English. If that hadn't been up to scratch I wouldn't have been allowed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 4
My friend currently studies History at AS and didn't study it at GCSE. Since she began AS, she's been achieving straight A's all year. Usually teachers will accept you within their course - yet if a situation does emerge they usually look at other subjects that have similar attributes, such as essay-based subjects. Sixth forms are more likely to accept this compared to colleges, but like said above - it's better to look at individual colleges and their course requirements!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BenedickandI

Best to check with your sixth form! Mine only allow it to internal students- even then they try not to offer it to students that haven't got the GCSE. They tend to check if your English grade is above a B (preferably A/A* for good measure).
Mine do - depends on your course & sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest