The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peaches and Cream
To the people discussing 8(c) on the June 2012 CHEM4 paper - was that the 5 marker where you had to draw isomers? Can't quite remember and school took our mock papers back in.

Uh do you mean 2 marks or do you mean the June 2014 paper?
Hi can someone help me with this question.

It's Chem4, from June 2010, 5(a)(iii)

'Calculate the pH of pure water at 50degrees celsius'

Kw at 50 degrees is 5.47x10^-14

I've looked at the mark scheme but I'm not sure how they got the value for H+

Thank you for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nishuchh

Thank you for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean b)i)

Thank you for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok here goes.

We know that an equation for Kw is Kw = [H+][OH-]

When it comes to pure water the concentration of OH- and H+ are equal.

So this means that Kw for water is Kw = [H+]2

Now we ought to rearrange the equation about to make [H+] the subject.

[H+] = Kw

[H+] =5.48 x 10

[H+] = 6.63

I hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Disney0702
Ok here goes.

[H+] = Kw

[H+] =5.48 x 10

[H+] = 6.63

Oooooh! I see! That makes sense :smile: haha how stupid am I?!?
Thank you very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok here goes.

[H+] = Kw

[H+] =5.48 x 10

[H+] = 6.63

Hey, sorry I keep on asking for help but would you mind going through part (c) aswell? I generally understand the buffer questions, but I got a little confused with this one. Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Can definitely vouch for that. Also doing practice questions on n.m.r spectroscopy, specifically ones were you work out the molecule is very beneficial.

EDIT: What was question 8 a about, we missed that one out because when we did the mock last year we hadn't covered the area it was on yet, I don't know the specific area. I remember being really stumped with 8c, got it all right except P I think which was meant to be an optical carboxylic acid, it was such a silly mistake I made as well.

8a was a Nucleophillic addition-elimination mechanism but the structure started straight chained and was a Cyclo in the products, so the other end of the molecule attacked itself, but that was pretty hard to figure out under timed conditions. It also asked for 2 sets of Carbon 13 NMR values for two atoms in that final Cyclo structure
Hi there! :smile:

Calcium hydroxide dissociates in the following way:

Ca(OH)2 Ca2+ + 2OH-

You're right Calcium hydroxide is a strong base so it will completely dissociate.

You'll notice from the equation above that the ratio between Ca(OH)2 and the OH- ions is 1:2.

This means that the concentration of the OH- ions that have been dissociated will be double the concentration of Ca(OH)2.

I believe all hydroxide molecules like Ca(OH)2, KOH, NaOH, LiOH and etc are strong bases with exception of ammonium hydroxide, NH4OH. So they're more easier to identify as strong bases.
But I don't know which are weak bases.

I found Q8c particularly difficult when I first did it in my MOCK but I believe the best way to master these questions is to do loads of practise questions on them because you'll find later on that they're actually not half bad and they'll become easy marks to grab.

I must say Q8a)i) was a beast! That got everyone in my year stumped! :angry:

Thank You :smile: I must say I wasn't expecting that twisted mechanism too, it caught me out! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if AQA do it again as exams are getting tougher each year.
Yes! Doing a lot NMR questions will boost your understanding and more importantly the time that you spend on those questions. I used to take a good 10 minutes answering those questions at the beginning of A2 but now its getting more easier with practise. And you're especially right with the forming structures questions.

Q8a was about naming and outlining a mechanism of how 5-hydroxy pentanoyl chloride will form a cyclic ester and have HCl as its by product.

Yh P was an optical carboxylic acid, with an alkene group attached.

Do you know anywhere I can find lots of practice questions for them 8c kind of questions?
Hey, sorry I keep on asking for help but would you mind going through part (c) aswell? I generally understand the buffer questions, but I got a little confused with this one. Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not that person but thought i'd give it a go :smile:

So first things first, we need to work out the number of moles present of each solution.

Number of moles of H2s04 =25/1000x0.150
=3.75x10-3 moles

Number of moles of KOH = 30/1000x0.200
=6x10-3 moles

At this point its good to make the adjustment for the fact h2s04 is a diprotic acid. This means that for each mole of h2s04 that dissociates, 2H+ ions are "given off". This means that the moles of you H+ ions generated from the h2s04 (which is what will be used to neutralise the KOH) will actually double. From this point, think of the h2s04 moles as the moles of H+ (which has doubled)

For this reason, we can consider the H+ moles of the H2s04 to be 2x(3.75x10-3) = 7.5x10-3 moles.

From these two calculated values ( the moles of KOH and the "adjusted" moles of h+)we can spot that the moles of h+ is in excess because 7.5x10-3>6x10-3 moles. This means that we have an excess of H+ ions in the solution and we can plug this into the pH=-log(H+).

So our final number of moles we do moles of h+ - moles of KOH ( because h+ is in excess we do this sum so we dony end up with a negative value). 7.5x10-3 - 6x10-3 = 1.5x10-3 moles left of h+.

Remember for the ph calculation stage that it is the concentration of H+ ions and therefore we need to take into account the volume of the solution. The volume of solution present has actually changed because you've added 25cm and 30cm of an acid and a base in. Therefore the total volume of the solution is now 55 cm3

So to account for this our final ph calculation=

pH=-log(1.5×103551000 \frac{1.5 \times 10^{-3} }{ \frac{55}{1000} } )

=1.56
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tw15st3d
not that person but thought i'd give it a go :smile:

So first things first, we need to work out the number of moles present of each solution.

Number of moles of H2s04 =25/1000x0.150
=3.75x10-3 moles

Number of moles of KOH = 30/1000x0.200
=6x10-3 moles

At this point its good to make the adjustment for the fact h2s04 is a diprotic acid. This means that for each mole of h2s04 that dissociates, 2H+ ions are "given off". This means that the moles of you H+ ions generated from the h2s04 (which is what will be used to neutralise the KOH) will actually double. From this point, think of the h2s04 moles as the moles of H+ (which has doubled)

For this reason, we can consider the H+ moles of the H2s04 to be 2x(3.75x10-3) = 7.5x10-3 moles.

From these two calculated values ( the moles of KOH and the "adjusted" moles of h+)we can spot that the moles of h+ is in excess because 7.5x10-3>6x10-3 moles. This means that we have an excess of H+ ions in the solution and we can plug this into the pH=-log(H+).

Remember for this stage that it is the concentration of H+ ions and therefore we need to take into account the volume of the solution. The volume of solution present has actually changed because you've added 25cm and 30cm of an acid and a base in. Therefore the total volume of the solution is now 55 cm3

So to account for this our final ph calculation=

pH=-log(1.5×103551000 \frac{1.5 \times 10^{-3} }{ \frac{55}{1000} } )

=1.56

Thank you for the help! I understand it much better now :smile:
It was just weird in the mark scheme because it said moles of NaOH instead of moles oh KOH. But thank you anyway, I do understand it now :smile:

SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do not need to apologise for anything, I am always happy to help. :wink:

I must say when I first looked at this question I was a little confused at first as well. :colondollar:

So this is what your question is asking:

Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 25.0 cm3 of 0.150 mol dm–3 aqueous sulfuric acid are added to 30.0 cm3 of 0.200 mol dm–3 aqueous potassium hydroxide at 25 °C. Assume that the sulfuric acid is fully dissociated.

The equation that forms here is:

H2S04 + 2KOH K2SO4 + 2H20

You'll have to work out the moles for KOH and H2S04.

Please note for the following calculations of moles I will write 10-3 instead of ( ÷ 1000) because it is simpler for me.

The moles for KOH is:

n = 30 x 0.2 x 10-3
n = 6 x 10-3 mol

The moles for H2SO4:

n = 25 x 0.15 x 10-3

n = 3.75 x 10-3 mol

Now when you need to work out pH you need the value of [H+] which you'll get from the acid it comes from.

This is quite a special case as H2SO4 is a diprotic acid. It dissociates in the following way.

H2SO4 2H+ + SO42-

This means that the molar ratio between H2SO4 and H+ is 1:2.

Hence to work out H+ you have to do 2 x H2SO4 which equals 7.5 x 10-3 mol.

That is the initial molar value of H+ before it reacted with KOH.

The excess value of H+ is (7.5 x 10-3) - (6 x 10-3) = 1.5 x 10-3 mol after it reacted with KOH.

That is the value present in the buffer solution.

Now you must find the concentration:

[H+] = (1.5 x 10-3 x 103) ÷ (25 + 30) = 0.0273 mol dm-3

pH = -log10[H+]
pH = -log10[0.0273]
pH = 1.56

I hope that helps, let me know if you need any further explanations. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for the help! I understand it much better now :smile:
It was just weird in the mark scheme because it said moles of NaOH instead of moles oh KOH. But thank you anyway, I do understand it now :smile:

SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha! I just saw that mistake on the mark scheme too!

That is so weird, you'd think they'd be flawless innit. :rolleyes:
You do not need to apologise for anything, I am always happy to help. :wink:

I must say when I first looked at this question I was a little confused at first as well. :colondollar:

So this is what your question is asking:

Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 25.0 cm3 of 0.150 mol dm–3 aqueoussulfuric acid are added to 30.0 cm3 of 0.200 mol dm–3 aqueous potassium hydroxide at25 °C. Assume that the sulfuric acid is fully dissociated.

The equation that forms here is:

H2S04 + 2KOH K2SO4 + 2H20

You'll have to work out the moles for KOH and H2S04.

Please note for the following calculations of moles I will write 10-3 instead of ( ÷ 1000) because it is simpler for me.

The moles for KOH is:

n = 30 x 0.2 x 10-3
n = 6 x 10-3 mol

The moles for H2SO4:

n = 25 x 0.15 x 10-3

n = 3.75 x 10-3 mol

Now when you need to work out pH you need the value of [H+] which you'll get from the acid it comes from.

This is quite a special case as H2SO4 is a diprotic acid. It dissociates in the following way.

H2SO4 2H+ + SO42-

This means that the molar ratio between H2SO4 and H+ is 1:2.

Hence to work out H+ you have to do 2 x H2SO4 which equals 7.5 x 10-3 mol.

That is the initial molar value of H+ before it reacted with KOH.

The excess value of H+ is (7.5 x 10-3) - (6 x 10-3) = 1.5 x 10-3 mol after it reacted with KOH.

That is the value present in the buffer solution.

Now you must find the concentration:

[H+] = (1.5 x 10-3 x 103) ÷ (25 + 30) = 0.0273 mol dm-3

pH = -log10[H+]
pH = -log10[0.0273]
pH = 1.56

I hope that helps, let me know if you need any further explanations. :smile:

I understand this question, but if you don't mind me asking, whenever we have a diprotic acid, will the equation react with 2 moles of everything? And whenever we have a diprotic acid, the moles of it have to be multiplied by 2 before finding excess?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thebest786
I understand this question, but if you don't mind me asking, whenever we have a diprotic acid, will the equation react with 2 moles of everything?

I do not mind at all :wink:

Yes.

Whenever you have a diprotic acid it will react 2 moles worth of the acid in a buffer solution as H+ is what's causing the neutralisation and SO4- is just a spectator ion.

And yes again.

You should multiply the moles by 2 before finding excess because as I said earlier it is the H+ that causes the neutralisation so you should work with H+ moles.

Does that make sense?
(edited 9 years ago)
I do not mind at all :wink:

Yes.

Whenever you have a diprotic acid it will react 2 moles worth of the acid in a buffer solution as H+ is what's causing the neutralisation and SO4- is just a spectator ion.

And yes again.

You should multiply the moles by 2 before finding excess because as I said earlier it is the H+ that causes the neutralisation so you should work with H+ moles.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense and clears it up. Thanks
Original post by Thebest786
Yes, that makes sense and clears it up. Thanks

Ah you're welcome. Glad I could help =)

How're you finding CHEM4 and CHEM5?
Ha! I just saw that mistake on the mark scheme too!

That is so weird, you'd think they'd be flawless innit. :rolleyes:

Exactly! :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:
They expect us to be flawless but they're making mistakes themselves.. ugh what can you say ...
Exactly! :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:
They expect us to be flawless but they're making mistakes themselves.. ugh what can you say ...

Yh it is pretty damn annoying but we can't do anything much.

But do you understand that question now? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending