The Student Room Group

Kent, Sussex or Brighton for Computer Science?

Hi everyone.

I will be applying to transfer uni's for year 2, so at this stage this will be done through clearing. I am trying to decide between Kent, Sussex and Brighton uni atm for doing Computer Science, that is starting in the 2nd year. All i am going by is statistics, (ok i don't really take them too literally, as some of them don't make sense, e.g. the uni rankings basically contradict one another re. rankings, so i don't look at that anymore) and course content. I would prefer a uni with one proper campus, as oppose to having to travel to different campuses but i suppose that wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. It would also be cool if the uni had good sports facilities, e.g. football, tennis, gym, etc.

In terms of the course content for Computer Science, it seems that the common modules between these uni's, i.e. the modules that are covered in the 2nd year for these 3 uni's are computer architecture, web development and databases/information systems. As i am transferring unis, i have already covered these 3 topics. I suppose i don't mind covering the comp. architecture stuff, however i really don't like web development or databases tbh.

So my question(s) are ... well the main question is in the title but more importantly if anyone goes to these uni's or know's anyone, etc and even better does Computer Science, it would be great to hear from you, as i am unsure as i say about the whole thing in general, i.e. i don't know how good the tutors are, the current course content for year 2 and 3 (i have researched but based on my current uni, these change, so the modules listed on the documents may not be the same).

Thanks v much.
Reply 1
Can someone please reply to at least 1 of my threads...
I don't do Computer Science but I do go to Sussex so I can answer any general questions about the uni you might have.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone actually used this site anymore (i knew they did, as there are posts frequently, etc... :|).

I was just wondering about Sussex in general, i mean in terms of sports facilities (are their football pitches, tennis courts, etc), is the campus a big place, things to do, etc and just your thought and experience of being a student there (+'s and -'s of the uni from what you have experienced).

Thanks very much, i appreciate your help :smile:.
Original post by jayward_2013
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone actually used this site anymore (i knew they did, as there are posts frequently, etc... :|).

I was just wondering about Sussex in general, i mean in terms of sports facilities (are their football pitches, tennis courts, etc), is the campus a big place, things to do, etc and just your thought and experience of being a student there (+'s and -'s of the uni from what you have experienced).

Thanks very much, i appreciate your help :smile:.

I love Sussex. There are loads of sports facilities (although I don't use most of them). Campus is small enough to be a great little community though most things happen in Brighton but that's only 20-30 mins away by bus.
Hi everyone.

I will be applying to transfer uni's for year 2, so at this stage this will be done through clearing. I am trying to decide between Kent, Sussex and Brighton uni atm for doing Computer Science, that is starting in the 2nd year. All i am going by is statistics, (ok i don't really take them too literally, as some of them don't make sense, e.g. the uni rankings basically contradict one another re. rankings, so i don't look at that anymore) and course content. I would prefer a uni with one proper campus, as oppose to having to travel to different campuses but i suppose that wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. It would also be cool if the uni had good sports facilities, e.g. football, tennis, gym, etc.

In terms of the course content for Computer Science, it seems that the common modules between these uni's, i.e. the modules that are covered in the 2nd year for these 3 uni's are computer architecture, web development and databases/information systems. As i am transferring unis, i have already covered these 3 topics. I suppose i don't mind covering the comp. architecture stuff, however i really don't like web development or databases tbh.

So my question(s) are ... well the main question is in the title but more importantly if anyone goes to these uni's or know's anyone, etc and even better does Computer Science, it would be great to hear from you, as i am unsure as i say about the whole thing in general, i.e. i don't know how good the tutors are, the current course content for year 2 and 3 (i have researched but based on my current uni, these change, so the modules listed on the documents may not be the same).

Thanks v much.

Hello!

I study at Brighton, so hopefully I can help out with any questions you have about Brighton as a place to study but unfortunately I can't comment on the course itself! It looks like the course is based in Moulsecoomb which is a short bus journey/bike ride out of Brighton. Some people choose to live closer to uni but some prefer living more central to Brighton so it's up to you! There's lots to choose from. In terms of sports facilities, there are loads of sports societies and clubs, which are great for meeting new people as well as keeping fit. I have some friends that are part of the horse riding, hockey, and skiiing societies (although I don't know how they have time to do all three!) The sports are based in different locations, there is a lot going on in Brighton but there is more in Eastbourne which isn't too far away. You can see some information about that kind of thing here http://about.brighton.ac.uk/sportbrighton/programmes/student-clubs :smile:

In terms of Brighton as a place to be, I think it's the perfect university city. Everyone is incredibly friendly, there's always something going on, it's not too big and overwhelming, and importantly it's a really good uni! I can't really fault it. If you have any more specific questions about being a student in Brighton, please let me know. My friend Kate and I made a film about what it's like to live here as a student, maybe this will give you a better idea, http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/living-in-brighton-spring-term.aspx

hope this helps!
Reply 6
Hi everyone.

Thanks v much.

Hi, can I just ask how the course is? Did you know any languages when starting the course and if not was it easy to pick up?

Just asking because I applied for computer science at Sussex....
Hi everyone.

Thanks v much.

I think the university of Kent is quite a good school, my sister goes there for IR & Politics and I've heard so many positive things of the school :biggrin: I am joining as well in September for ifp computer science ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending