The Student Room Group

Work experience in physics

Hello, I am currently in year 10 going into year 11 this September. In the summer holidays next year, we are going to be doing our work experience. Because I want to find my own work experience and not let the school choose for me, I have already started to look for some. I am looking for work experience related to physics because not only am I very good at it, but also I am intrigued by it and want to pursue a career in it. It would be very helpful and I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any places for me that I could apply to for work experience in year 11.
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raman.S
Hello, I am currently in year 10 going into year 11 this September. In the summer holidays next year, we are going to be doing our work experience. Because I want to find my own work experience and not let the school choose for me, I have already started to look for some. I am looking for work experience related to physics because not only am I very good at it, but also I am intrigued by it and want to pursue a career in it. It would be very helpful and I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any places for me that I could apply to for work experience in year 11.
Thanks

Personally I'd look for local places due to travelling costs. Perhaps a place to start is your local college Physics department, or even your schools physics department? Failing that, maybe some scientific laboratories that are nearby?

To be honest, work experience at your age isn't really essential to get into your chosen career field - I'm currently doing an Economics degree and the only financial work experience I got was as my college SU's Financial Officer in Year 13! I know guys on physics degrees with no science work experience at all!

If you did want some specific work experience, you could even do it at degree level as part of an integrated degree? It'd be 2 years of uni, one year work experience placement (normally paid) and then last year of your degree (assuming you'd like to do a degree) :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
work experience isn't absolutely essential but having some certainly helps. Take a look here for ideas http://www.physics.org/article-careers.asp?contentid=465

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending