rkalia1703
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have to choose my alevels in over 2 weeks and I know I want to do Maths because I really really enjoy it and PE because I want to study sport science at uni but I haven't a clue what else. I was thinking either Chemistry, Psychology and Music Technology. Chemistry because I enjoyed doing the chemistry courses in double science last year and seems relatively interesting. Psychology because it is all about the human mind and has some links to sport. Music Technology because I did a Level 2 BTec in it during my GCSEs and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was also thinking French but it seems really hard and a big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Could anyone give me an insight to what it is like to do these subjects, what you study and whether you like or not and any other info you think could help me? Thanks!
Mel1312
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rkalia1703)
I have to choose my alevels in over 2 weeks and I know I want to do Maths because I really really enjoy it and PE because I want to study sport science at uni but I haven't a clue what else. I was thinking either Chemistry, Psychology and Music Technology. Chemistry because I enjoyed doing the chemistry courses in double science last year and seems relatively interesting. Psychology because it is all about the human mind and has some links to sport. Music Technology because I did a Level 2 BTec in it during my GCSEs and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was also thinking French but it seems really hard and a big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Could anyone give me an insight to what it is like to do these subjects, what you study and whether you like or not and any other info you think could help me? Thanks!
Have a look at universities where you can read the course but according to Which you have considered a good set of subjects:

Essential A-levels (or equivalent)

Many courses want to see one from:
Biology.
Chemistry.
Maths.
Physics.
Some courses will treat physical education as a science equivalent.
Useful A-levels (or equivalent)

Physical education/ sports science.
Psychology

I have taken Chemistry and Psychology out of the options you are considering and would recommend both.

Chemistry will require a lot of motivation for the potential failure you may go through until you start seeing amazing progress and is not really like double at GCSE, in my opinion, but I think its a lot more interesting. If you like things linking together and challenging yourself to think and understand, chemistry is definitely for you. In terms of processing work, chemistry is a lot more stated facts and a potential sequence of ideas or facts.

Psychology at AS is a lot more memorization, from my experience but if you grab a good group of focused friends, you can easily make debates from it and challenge yourselves. Its fun that way but it can become tedious just remembering studies after a point. However, its a nice break from chemistry and other sciences sometimes as there aren't as many definite answers so you can expand and explore, closer to humanities.

Good luck
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rkalia1703)
They are all a "big jump from A level"...
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got an A in GCSE French and found the jump absolutely horrific to start with, it got better though and my speaking exam went really well, then the main exam was awful. If you enjoy French then go for it, because the work won't feel as bad then, but if you don't really enjoy it that much I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate