Sambunneh171
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What GCSE results do I need to get into a good university (st.andrews, durham etc)?
Also, which universities are more relaxed with GCSE results, Ivy League (USA) universities or Oxbridge?

Thanks!
perflous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll want mostly A*s and a few A grades if you're looking at unis like St. Andrews and Durham. Ivy league universities will also want to see A* grades pretty much across the board, but again, a few A grades won't go amiss.

In terms of Oxbridge - again, straight A/A* grades, but Cambridge focus less on GCSE grades than Oxford as they look at your AS UMS scores.

You'll want the top GCSE grades for any of those universities, but A Levels are much more important and can make up for a slightly lacking GCSE profile.
ItsJJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sambunneh171)
What GCSE results do I need to get into a good university (st.andrews, durham etc)?
Also, which universities are more relaxed with GCSE results, Ivy League (USA) universities or Oxbridge?

Thanks!
I don't know about St Andrews.
Durham depends on what course you take, so for example if you are applying for a popular subject at Durham such as Law, History or English then there are likely to be gcse requirements.

Cambridge surprisingly doesn't have very high GCSE requirements you can see further information here - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../requirements/

Oxford does have entry requirements, I believe it is at least 6 A*-A - you can read more by going onto their website

Ivy League Universities tend not to care much about GCSEs however I'm sure they will look at them to see how well you have done over the years. I know that Yale look for 3 As at A level. If you want more info on US universities go here - http://www.fulbright.org.uk/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sambunneh171)

Thanks!
This depends a lot on your subjects - have look at the entrance requirements for each university for the subjects you want to study - google should help eg: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=st+andrews+univ...mputer+science

As and Bs is usually fine, sometimes Cs are ok too if they're not in specific subjects.

Universities do look at GCSE results but they're more concerned with how you've done at AS and your A level predictions (generally - there are a few exceptions to this eg medicine at birmingham IIRR used to filter out applicants without x number of A*s at GCSE)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads