The Student Room Group

Masters 2015/2016

How early can you apply for Masters?

Looking to do a business/economics/investment orientated masters at Edinburgh or a decent uni in London.

Any ideas of how necessary a dissertation is to apply for masters?
Reply 1
I started contacting universities with questions in mid-July, started sending off applications in October. They'll probably open applications in September or so.

Original post by david0294
Any ideas of how necessary a dissertation is to apply for masters?
You mean having done one in undergrad?
Reply 2
Original post by Kalivha
I started contacting universities with questions in mid-July, started sending off applications in October. They'll probably open applications in September or so.

You mean having done one in undergrad?

Okay good stuff, haven't approached any unis yet, suppose that is my next step.

Yeah I'm about to go into third year and how essential is a diss? I mean I'm doing a research project anyway
Reply 3
Okay good stuff, haven't approached any unis yet, suppose that is my next step.

What I did was go to each university in person over the summer; only applied to two universities for Master's and I was doing things with each, anyway, so that was convenient. If you can afford the train tickets and there is someone willing to meet, it's a good way of making an impression, and trying to make it a good one. I also visited others that I did not end up applying to (mostly because I applied to the best ones first and then went from there).

Yeah I'm about to go into third year and how essential is a diss? I mean I'm doing a research project anyway

Is a dissertation optional in your degree? If it's not part of the degree they can't demand one but if it's something you can opt into it'd probably be a good idea.
Reply 4
Surely a research project results in a paper, or are you just doing research without writing anything down? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Kalivha
What I did was go to each university in person over the summer; only applied to two universities for Master's and I was doing things with each, anyway, so that was convenient. If you can afford the train tickets and there is someone willing to meet, it's a good way of making an impression, and trying to make it a good one. I also visited others that I did not end up applying to (mostly because I applied to the best ones first and then went from there).

Cheers for this advice - where did you end up going and what are you doing? If you don't mind me asking - have sent emails out this morning to a couple of places.

Is a dissertation optional in your degree? If it's not part of the degree they can't demand one but if it's something you can opt into it'd probably be a good idea.

Yeah it's optional as I do joint honours - but I mean I'm doing a research project - still have to produce a paper at the end - almost like a mini dissertation.
Yeah it's optional as I do joint honours - but I mean I'm doing a research project - still have to produce a paper at the end - almost like a mini dissertation.

If you want to go into research, it's highly recommended. Research experience is very valuable for your application. But if you just want to go into business, maybe not at crucial. Talk to admissions officers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending