Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY

In the run up to A Level results day 2014, no doubt many of you are starting to feel nervous. So if you're worried things might not work out come results day, the Newcastle University team will be here, on The Student Room, answering any questions you have about Clearing and Adjustment. We've also put together lots of hints and tips on our website http://bit.ly/1kGI4rS to help you prepare for coming to Newcastle and you can follow the discussion over on Twitter and Instagram using #gannin2ncl.

For any questions that you don't want to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Rachel, Matt, Anna & Peff.
KForshaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I was just wondering, if you miss your grades I have heard you are automatically reconsidered anyway (as they might still want to take you even with lower grades). Does this mean that effectively they take another look over your personal statement and then decide?

Also, say they then rejected you and you went through the clearing process, when you are on the phone to the admissions tutors do they have access to your personal statement?

Thanks,
Kris
username1300799
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[edited]
Last edited by username1300799; 1 year ago
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by KForshaw)
Hi,

I was just wondering, if you miss your grades I have heard you are automatically reconsidered anyway (as they might still want to take you even with lower grades). Does this mean that effectively they take another look over your personal statement and then decide?

Also, say they then rejected you and you went through the clearing process, when you are on the phone to the admissions tutors do they have access to your personal statement?

Thanks,
Kris
Hi Kris, thanks for getting in touch

Yes, that's right For students who had applied for their place at Newcastle University and then went through the clearing process, admissions tutors would have access to their personal statements.

Alternatively, if a student were to go through the clearing process not having previously applied to Newcastle University as one of their choices, personal statements would not be available to the admissions team.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Rachel
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by BatesJ)
Hi,

are any scholarships available for international applicants who want to apply for clearing 2014?

thanks

bj

Thanks for getting in touch

As scholarships are limited, the chances of securing a scholarship so late in the process are fairly slim. However, it is very much course dependent and depends upon your nationality.

If you could tell me your chosen course and nationality, I will be able to contact the relevant person within International Admissions.

Rachel
fuzka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does chemical engineering ever go into clearing?
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
Hi everyone,

Check out our provisional Clearing course list to see what degrees are available: http://bit.ly/1vx6RmV

These are the courses that we expect to have places available for Clearing.
The list will be updated throughout the week

Rachel
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by fuzka)
Does chemical engineering ever go into clearing?
Hello, thanks for getting in touch

Chemical Engineering has gone into clearing in the past, but hasn't for the past few years and won't be this year.

The provisional list of clearing courses is available here: http://bit.ly/1vx6RmV

Let me know if you have any further questions

Rachel
Angoose
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The course I've applied for has appeared on the provisional clearing list, does this mean that there's a number of people who have missed offers and not been accepted?

Thanks
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angoose)
The course I've applied for has appeared on the provisional clearing list, does this mean that there's a number of people who have missed offers and not been accepted?

Thanks

Hello, thanks for getting in touch

Please don’t worry! The course list is just provisional – it will change throughout the week and on Thursday as grades are confirmed. UK universities have 30,000 more places this year than they did last year, so we're looking for more high achieving students in the Clearing 2014. Keep an eye on the course list during the week as things do change and if you have any other questions, just ask. Good luck for Thursday!

Rachel
funkietee94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi i was wondering,would being about two grades of the initial offer not good enough for reconsideration ??
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by funkietee94)
Hi i was wondering,would being about two grades of the initial offer not good enough for reconsideration ??
Hey, thanks for getting in touch

All applicants who narrowly miss the conditions of their offer are reconsidered again together when the results are published. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes.

I hope that helps Image If you do miss out on your grades, the best thing to do is to contact us as soon as possible. On A-level results day our Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am and our Clearing website will be live later this week (http://bit.ly/1rT2BeW). It will have all of the information you need to prepare for A-level results day as well as the telephone numbers you may need to call if you don’t get the results you’re hoping for.

If you have any more questions just ask Image Good luck!

Rachel
Athlete95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you get an email from the uni before UCAS track opens in the morning? I've heard some uni's actually tell you good news if you've got a place via email beforehand! Thanks
Newcastle University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athlete95)
Do you get an email from the uni before UCAS track opens in the morning? I've heard some uni's actually tell you good news if you've got a place via email beforehand! Thanks
Hi, thanks for getting in touch

You'll need to check UCAS Track to see our decision on your application. It'll re-open at 8am tomorrow. Good luck!

Any more questions, let us know!

Peff
Athlete95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Newcastle University)
Hi, thanks for getting in touch

You'll need to check UCAS Track to see our decision on your application. It'll re-open at 8am tomorrow. Good luck!

Any more questions, let us know!

Peff

Perfect- thank you!
mont1988
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
If your application has been unsuccessful does that mean that you have no chance to get into the uni? or can you still try through clearing?
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mont1988)
Hi,
If your application has been unsuccessful does that mean that you have no chance to get into the uni? or can you still try through clearing?
Is this your firm and insurance applications? If so, you should be in clearing and have a clearing number on your UCAS Track. You can still try contacting the university, after you know your grades, to try and find a course to suit you.
mont1988
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Is this your firm and insurance applications? If so, you should be in clearing and have a clearing number on your UCAS Track. You can still try contacting the university, after you know your grades, to try and find a course to suit you.
yeah it's for my firm, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (773)
42.03%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.46%

Watched Threads