Watch
This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi
In january 2003, there was the first qustion on the uniform distribution. But I'm not sure how to do the last 2 parts. Can someone please explain how to do them? The question is:
An engineer measures to the nearest cm, the lengths of metal rods.
b) Find the probability that for a randomly chosen rod, the measured length will be well within 0.2cm of their true lengths.

Two rods are chosen at random
c) Find the probability that for both rods, the measured lengths will be within 0.2cm of their true lengths.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Xenon
Hi
In january 2003, there was the first qustion on the uniform distribution. But I'm not sure how to do the last 2 parts. Can someone please explain how to do them? The question is:
An engineer measures to the nearest cm, the lengths of metal rods.
b) Find the probability that for a randomly chosen rod, the measured length will be well within 0.2cm of their true lengths.

Two rods are chosen at random
c) Find the probability that for both rods, the measured lengths will be within 0.2cm of their true lengths.
I think the question may be in complete, but if you take the accuracy of measurement to be to +/- 0.5cm then the probability that they will be within 0.2cm is 0.4 (taking the area under the graph from +0.2 to -0.2).

c) can be done using a binomial distribution;

P(X=2) where N=2 and P=0.4
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
part c is 0.4 ^2 = 0.16. Use a tree diagram. Not binomial
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (84)
13.98%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (49)
8.15%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (75)
12.48%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (67)
11.15%
Other reasons are stopping me going (79)
13.14%
Nothing is stopping me going (247)
41.1%

Watched Threads