Turn on thread page Beta

Help needed for an S2 question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    In january 2003, there was the first qustion on the uniform distribution. But I'm not sure how to do the last 2 parts. Can someone please explain how to do them? The question is:
    An engineer measures to the nearest cm, the lengths of metal rods.
    b) Find the probability that for a randomly chosen rod, the measured length will be well within 0.2cm of their true lengths.

Two rods are chosen at random
    c) Find the probability that for both rods, the measured lengths will be within 0.2cm of their true lengths.

Originally posted by Xenon
    Hi
    In january 2003, there was the first qustion on the uniform distribution. But I'm not sure how to do the last 2 parts. Can someone please explain how to do them? The question is:
    An engineer measures to the nearest cm, the lengths of metal rods.
    b) Find the probability that for a randomly chosen rod, the measured length will be well within 0.2cm of their true lengths.

Two rods are chosen at random
    c) Find the probability that for both rods, the measured lengths will be within 0.2cm of their true lengths.
    I think the question may be in complete, but if you take the accuracy of measurement to be to +/- 0.5cm then the probability that they will be within 0.2cm is 0.4 (taking the area under the graph from +0.2 to -0.2).

c) can be done using a binomial distribution;

P(X=2) where N=2 and P=0.4

part c is 0.4 ^2 = 0.16. Use a tree diagram. Not binomial

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.