The Student Room Group

Primary education degree

Hi,
Is anyone currently studying primary education or have an offer for this year?

I am wondering what A levels are good for a undergraduate primary education course?

As well as that what is the course like in general such as placements and the interview process? I know this varies depending on university but was it stressful and was lots of preparation needed? Did you get all your offers or was it very competitive?

Sorry for all the questions, just want someones real experience. Thank you.
Original post by _hml_98
Hi,

I am wondering what A levels are good for a undergraduate primary education course?

As well as that what is the course like in general such as placements and the interview process? I know this varies depending on university but was it stressful and was lots of preparation needed? Did you get all your offers or was it very competitive?

Hiya, I'm due to start the Primary Teaching course at Hull University but based in Scarborough. I don't really know loads but I'll share what I can.

I'm not entirely sure on the entry requirements as I applied in 2013 but deferred my entry to this 2014 so I'm a bit rusty, however I came out of college after studying Health and Social Care with a triple Distinction but I don't think that was the required grade.

I'm aware that placement-wise you have a placement every year. In the first year for (roughly) 7 weeks but it is split into 2, 2/3 weeks in November and remaining towards the end of the year. Second year it's roughly 8 weeks towards the end of the academic year, and in the final year I believe it's 9 weeks roughly around February time, in 2nd and 3rd year it is a continuous placement and not split into 2, other than obviously school half terms etc.

In my interview I was required to chose a book that was suited to Key Stage 2 and do a presentation on this highlighting some key points. My interview was in 2013 so it's not very fresh, and a bit vague sorry. I was so worried but it wasn't at all bad, 2 people interviewed me and they were so nice and calming. I read up on a few things from the TES newspaper/magazine, which benefited a lot.

I only applied to 2 relatively local universities but both came back with conditional offers, to meet the conditions I had to complete 2 weeks experience at Key Stage 1 and 2, pass the numeracy and Literacy Skills Tests, DBS check, health check, and I think that was it really.

This is obviously based on my experience with Hull University, so it might differ slightly, sorry it's a bit long, hope I have helped :smile:
Original post by _hml_98
Hi,

Hi, I'm studying Primary Ed at the moment (year 2).

Universities usually want you to have done at least one A Level in a core subject (English/Maths/Science), so try to have a mixture of subjects (e.g. not all arts).

The course is a really tough but life changing course. You grow so much in confidence and how to cope in tough situations. You spend a lot of time at university than other courses and I personally have placement 10 weeks a year (5 days a week, 8am-5pm) where you build up from being a teaching assistant to being in charge of over 30 children! Buuuuut it's so rewarding and enjoyable!

I applied for the course 3 times (over 3 years) and only got 1 interview the first time and didn't get any offers. The next time I got 1 interview and an offer but I didn't meet the grades - I studied education (with no placements) for a year and then I got all 3 interviews and offers the final time around. For the personal statement and interview you have to mention your experience in schools as much as you can and make sure you show you've learnt from it. The interviews vary lots between universities - for one I only had an individual interview, in another two I had an individual and group interview, another I only had a group interview. Most of them include you answering questions about current educational issues and interacting with others (show you can work as a team).

Sorry for the essay haha
Reply 3
Thank you both for your replies, it really gave me something to think and a better idea of the course in general even though it will vary between universities. The interviews really scary me and if I got no offers or even interviews I would feel so **** about myself and be put off teaching but anyway thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest