The Student Room Group

Relationships at work

Has going out with a work colleague caused any awkwardness? Eg with fellow workers assuming stuff, customers picking up on it, or the consequences of breaking up.
Have people ignored it or do they treat you differently as a couple?
The small supermarket I work in is tight knit, both with the customers and colleagues. I'm worried that I might lose respect by seeming unprofessional despite trying not to. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by burgerrr
Has going out with a work colleague caused any awkwardness? Eg with fellow workers assuming stuff, customers picking up on it, or the consequences of breaking up.
The small supermarket I work in is tight knit, both with the customers and colleagues. I'm worried that I might lose respect by seeming unprofessional despite trying not to. :frown:

People might notice but as long as you don't kiss and such whilst working it is fine.
Reply 2
Don't do it, a friend of mine dated a work colleague and when it ended it was not a good experience. Of course there are probably good stories out there about dating work colleagues although none that I have heard, I just would not promote it.
Maybe in a large office/company etc....not in such a small scale operation.
Reply 4
It's worth it if you bang in the stock rooms
It's something you need to be very cautious of but remember a lot of marriages come from work romances.
Original post by Jubz1
It's worth it if you bang in the stock rooms

I agree. Do it girl, go out with him.
I would never worry about the opinion of anybody who worked in a supermarket. If I worked in one I would do my own thing. Why should the opinion of a 55 year old harridan who lives in a council house and works in "Customer Services" for minimum wages be of any interest to me ?
Reply 8
Everyone does it. Of course it leads to angst and issues. Look at the Navy commander drummed out of her job. But also to successful long term partnerships. Follow your instincts.
i would not do it myself.
Original post by Zarek
Everyone does it. Of course it leads to angst and issues. Look at the Navy commander drummed out of her job. But also to successful long term partnerships. Follow your instincts.

I do not think a female officer in command of a ship of Her Majesty's Royal Navy who saw fit to abandon her duty and start ******* one of her crew is entirely apposite in this context which is of a girl working in a supermarket. lol.
I don't eat and poo at the same place :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Old_Simon
I do not think a female officer in command of a ship of Her Majesty's Royal Navy who saw fit to abandon her duty and start ******* one of her crew is entirely apposite in this context which is of a girl working in a supermarket. lol.

Didn't hear she abandoned her duty, just got rogered senseless by an underling out of hours. Must be some mitigating circumstances since she wasn't completely discharged.
Original post by Zarek
Didn't hear she abandoned her duty, just got rogered senseless by an underling out of hours. Must be some mitigating circumstances since she wasn't completely discharged.

Exactly. She abandoned her duty to command a warship at sea properly, to obey all rules and regulations, to maintain morale by not ******* on board, and to set an example. She thus reduced the operational capacity of a ship which cost the tax payer untold millions, she reduced the defence capability of the United Kingdom, she rendered female naval officers a laughing stock, and diminished the respect and standing of the officer corps whilst also bringing the Naval Service into disrepute. Abandoned her duty ? I should say so. I would lock her up or shoot her.
Reply 14
Original post by Old_Simon
Exactly. She abandoned her duty to command a warship at sea properly, to obey all rules and regulations, to maintain morale by not ******* on board, and to set an example. She thus reduced the operational capacity of a ship which cost the tax payer untold millions, she reduced the defence capability of the United Kingdom, she rendered female naval officers a laughing stock, and diminished the respect and standing of the officer corps whilst also bringing the Naval Service into disrepute. Abandoned her duty ? I should say so. I would lock her up or shoot her.

Telling points. At least she boosted the morale of on crew member. Also wonder what male commanders might have got up to in the past without anyone blinking an eyelid.
Original post by Alfissti
I don't eat and poo at the same place :smile:

Well Congratulations on your uncompromisingly high standards of hygiene. But should you sleep with someone you work with?
If you're in the same department or work in close proximity to each other then don't do it. Everyone talks behind your back and everyone knows your business, it's impossible to get any privacy. If you have any kind of disagreement/argument then it will spill over and affect your ability to do your job. Not to mention it would be quite intense, being around the person all day every day.

Oh, and god help you if you break up. It has the potential to become incredibly awkward and I have seen first hand just how damaging it can be for both the people involved.
I had a work relationship once, ended in disaster but it was more because he was controlling, manipulating and abusive and didn't have much to do with work.

Promised myself I'd never ever so much ad fancy a work colleague again. Broke that promise a year ago.

The banter is hilarious at times with other colleagues, does get a bit annoying though when they assume and ask loads of questions. We're not officially 'together' (not because of work just because neither of us want that) but it's fun :biggrin:
Original post by Huskaris
Well Congratulations on your uncompromisingly high standards of hygiene. But should you sleep with someone you work with?

I already answered the question, its unfortunate the answer was beyond you :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by burgerrr

It's like Schrödinger's cat, you need to open the box

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending