The Student Room Group

Is a size 10 a plus size?

According to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2717933/Kelly-Brook-launches-collection-Simply-Be-plus-size-label-announces-new-size-10s.html#article-2717933

Kelly Brook has designed a range of clothes for plus size clothing retailer simply be. The sizes range from size 10 to size 32.

Sorry but last time I checked, a size 10 wasn't plus sized (neither is a 12 for that matter).

Ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
According to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2717933/Kelly-Brook-launches-collection-Simply-Be-plus-size-label-announces-new-size-10s.html#article-2717933

Kelly Brook has designed a range of clothes for plus size clothing retailer simply be. The sizes range from size 10 to size 32.

Sorry but last time I checked, a size 10 wasn't plus sized (neither is a 12 for that matter).

Ridiculous.

They aren't implying that size 10 and 12 are plus sizes... It just so happens that she's designing a fashion line for a brand that is known for their plus size range. Also what is ridiculous is that you are following what the Daily Mail has produced...
No more ridiculous than the fact that some people are a size 32. 32??!
I hate how hollister (and other places selling small clothes) get in so much crap for 'promoting eating disorders' yet somehow it's ok to promote obesity...
Original post by ZeniB
No more ridiculous than the fact that some people are a size 32. 32??!
I hate how hollister (and other places selling small clothes) get in so much crap for 'promoting eating disorders' yet somehow it's ok to promote obesity...

Yeah *some* people. These shops aren't promoting obesity... If high street shops stopped selling plus size clothing then they are discriminating which is breaking the law.

Yeah you've got places like UO, Hollister, Topshop and AA that cater for the 'smaller' sizes but then you've got places like Simply Be, New Look, M&S, Next and Evans (which is the plus size Topshop) who cater for the 'bigger' sizes.
Reply 4
I'm an 8-10 but I think it's ridiculous that size 12 is now classified as 'large' in shops these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplylldxo
Yeah *some* people. These shops aren't promoting obesity... If high street shops stopped selling plus size clothing then they are discriminating which is breaking the law.

Yeah you've got places like UO, Hollister, Topshop and AA that cater for the 'smaller' sizes but then you've got places like Simply Be, New Look, M&S, Next and Evans (which is the plus size Topshop) who cater for the 'bigger' sizes.

Yes but what I mean is that Hollister etc get so much crap for only selling smaller sizes. Yet if shops only sell big sizes that's fine, everyone is just like 'yeah, let's promote curvy women!' it really annoys me how these days you're actually hard pushed to find a size 6 or an 8 in the shops these days. Maybe if there weren't so many massive sizes available then people would be forced to lose weight. It's disgusting how nearly 40% of the adult population is clinically overweight...
Reply 6
Size 12 is massive unless you're tall.
Original post by ZeniB
Yes but what I mean is that Hollister etc get so much crap for only selling smaller sizes. Yet if shops only sell big sizes that's fine, everyone is just like 'yeah, let's promote curvy women!' it really annoys me how these days you're actually hard pushed to find a size 6 or an 8 in the shops these days. Maybe if there weren't so many massive sizes available then people would be forced to lose weight. It's disgusting how nearly 40% of the adult population is clinically overweight...

You do realise that some of the women wearing the larger sizes may not be fat, right? Bone structure and boobs makes a difference. You could get a skinny woman wearing a size 14. I'm a size 8 on bottoms but I'm forced to go with a size 10/12 on top because I literally cannot fit my boobs into anything smaller.
So that's why Hollister got so much crap. Because they stupidly assume that larger sizes= fat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ZeniB

I do agree with you. However every shop I go into always seems to have LOADS of size 6s left and no 10s...especially primark. It seems you either have to be tiny or huge to get clothes in some shops!
Original post by thechemistress
You do realise that some of the women wearing the larger sizes may not be fat, right? Bone structure and boobs makes a difference. You could get a skinny woman wearing a size 14. I'm a size 8 on bottoms but I'm forced to go with a size 12 on top because I literally cannot fit my boobs into anything smaller.
So that's why Hollister got so much crap. Because they stupidly assume that larger sizes= fat.

Hollister do sell up to around a size 16 though I think. And no one could possibly be slim and a size 32. That size just shouldn't exist.
Original post by ilem

I'm a size 12 on bottom because of my bum. I don't think I hear anyone complaining.
Original post by ilem

have you HEARD of boobs?
Original post by ilem

It's not massive. If you think size 12 is massive, what about sizes above 16? :lol:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I do agree with you. However every shop I go into always seems to have LOADS of size 6s left and no 10s...especially primark. It seems you either have to be tiny or huge to get clothes in some shops!

Yeah, it's mainly the size 8s I have problems with tbh. It just annoys me how these days being fat is almost trendy. Like everyone is being told to 'you go girl, embrace your curves!' it's almost as bad as telling people to eat themselves to death.
Reply 14
It's not massive, but it is largish for a small woman (below 5'5). If you think size 12 is massive, what about sizes above 16? :lol:

Let's not even go there :redface:
Original post by ilem

It's really not. I'm 5''5, size 12, and my body is pretty much bangin'. Just sayin.
Original post by ZeniB
Hollister do sell up to around a size 16 though I think. And no one could possibly be slim and a size 32. That size just shouldn't exist.

Tbh I don't know why people even bother with that crappy shop. Their clothes are trash.
True that :lol: I agree with you about it being 'trendy' to be fat now. I don't understand where it came from. Sure, fat shaming is awful, but encouraging people to be fat is just as bad.
Tbh I don't know why people even bother with that crappy shop. Their clothes are trash.
True that :lol: I agree with you about it being 'trendy' to be fat now. I don't understand where it came from. Sure, fat shaming is awful, but encouraging people to be fat is just as bad.

Ugghh seriously dont even get me started, hollister sell such crappy clothes nowadays. and all those nasty high waisted shorts, don't look nice on anyone really.
The Daily Mail is full of crap anyway, wouldn't take any of their articles seriously if I could. I'm a size 8-10 and according to them, I could probably be passed as a whale. :yep:
Simply Be think size 10 outfits will sell, so they're producing them. That's all!

Quick Reply

Latest