j7189
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey guys i really need help in deciding which architecture school i want to go to. currently i am stuck between UofT and Oxford Brookes for architecture.

First of all UofT is a 4 years course BA in Architecture Studies, unlike the UK schooling system, it follows the American college system where you have to take other courses which are unrelated to architecture such as sociology, engineering etc to meet their degree requirements (they encourage students to learn more and become more well rounded) However their architecture program is not accredited by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board.

On the other hand Oxford Brookes is a 3 years course BA in Architecture Studies. I don't have to study other subjects like UofT, i can just focus solely on architecture. Unlike UofT, their program is accredited by the Royal Institute of Architecture.

I am planning to study in the U.S for my Master Degree in Architecture hopefully at SCI-ARC (Southern California Institute of Architecture), Cornell, or Cooper Union. However these schools requires Calculus and Physics at college level which I am able to take and study alongside with my architecture degree at UofT. Whereas if i go to Oxford Brookes i will not be able to apply to these schools.

In terms of portfolio work, I feel that Oxford Brookes would provide a better support with that, however I can't say that for sure since I haven't seen works produced at UofT.

I am also thinking about whether I will be happy and enjoy college life at both universities. I personally feel that I would enjoy going to UofT more because a lot of my friends are going there, they have a really nice dance society, and Toronto is quite a nice place to live in. Whereas i am not so sure about life at Oxford Brookes...

My parents really want me to go to the UK to study architecture, however i am slightly leaning towards UofT in terms of having a fun and happy college life...

Please help! :/
shrn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im actually going through a similar choice whether UCL or UoT

Do you know whether its important to get the CACB accreditation or not? because that will be my deciding factor.
j7189
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
its not important because after all, you still have to do your masters to become an actual practice architect. so i dont think it really matters
EmmaNuel8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shrn)
Im actually going through a similar choice whether UCL or UoT

Do you know whether its important to get the CACB accreditation or not? because that will be my deciding factor.
hi! was wondering what you chose after all? have to make exactly the same decision now..
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there!

So glad to hear that you are thinking of studying at Oxford Brookes! If you want to get in contact with someone in Architecture here to discuss any enquiries you have, you would be more than welcome.

School of Architecture
[email protected]

Check out the virtual Open Day for Architecture!

I studied at Brookes myself and loved it here! There are currently over 100 groups and societies from including sport, dance, cultural appreciation, drama and improv. We host carnivals, end of year balls and black tie Union award ceremonies! And that is just the University Union....

Oxford itself is such an amazing city full of museums, art galleries, Christmas markets, summer fairs, music festivals, historic 17th century pubs! It's where Lewis Carroll got his inspiration for Alice in Wonderland and where C.S.Lewis got his for the Chronicles of Narnia. It really is a unique place with lots going on!

Nearby Cowley Road is home to a multitude of restaurants serving dishes from all over the world! The O2 Academy has hosted many famous singers and band as well as hosting Brookes' official club night on a Wednesday. Every year the Cowley Road Carnival congregates to show off the vibrancy and diversity of Oxford in a day long event with live music, dance, delicious street food and a carnival procession.

I hope this helps a little! We have an Open Day coming up on the 3rd June or check out the virtual open day if you are too far away!

I hope this helps!
- Sophie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.69%
I'm not sure (32)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (224)
31.28%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.37%
I'm not a current university student (345)
48.18%

Watched Threads