The Student Room Group

Are explicit drug users actually victims?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DorianGrayism
Ok then.

Alcohol and Nicotine are Gateway drugs.

No, not as much as cannabis. The effects of alcohol and nicotine arnt similar to that of heroin.

Cannabis is the closest out of the three.

Also I know it's the daily mail but I bet more research can get me reliable sources.. But:

"Researchers have found that cannabis acts as a 'gateway' drug, because exposure during adolescence primes the system to crave the chemical stimulation of hard drugs."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-394077/Early-cannabis-abuse-leads-heroin-addiction.html
Original post by SHOO
Weed can be "laced" with heroin.

I'm not entirely sure about the pharmacology of this but it is a common phenomenon - it does happen.

Also, heroin can be smoked..

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/heroin

It seems you have no idea about drugs. It is not common at all, in fact it is unbelievably rare. Heroin is very expensive and would not be used to simply lace weed.
Reply 42
That doesn't even make any sense.

There is not any evidence because it is not true.

It is because of people like you making things up, that a ridiculous Drug Policy has been created.

Even your example doesn't make any sense. If she didn't take it at 20 and then decided to take it at 40 for the first time, it would have still had the same underwhelming effect because the problem was the Drug quality.

She would have still tried to go for something stronger like Heroin.

I'm not making anything up. I wouldn't suggest such a correlation if I didn't see it almost every one of the methadone patients I deal with?

How can one even prove that cannabis is a gateway drug? You can't really conduct an experiment that would prove it, all you can go on is what's already out there.

What? No. She tried cannabis and she said "it didn't do the job for me", and then she took heroin.
Reply 43
Original post by DiddyDec
It seems you have no idea about drugs. It is not common at all, in fact it is unbelievably rare. Heroin is very expensive and would not be used to simply lace weed.

Giving a dose of free heroin to ensure a customer returns for a longer period of time is far more beneficial to the dealer.. The cost of heroin isn't even much.. You can get heroin for around £25 or so for a "go"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Heeee
No, not as much as cannabis. The effects of alcohol and nicotine arnt similar to that of heroin.

Also I know it's the daily mail but I bet more research can get me reliable sources.. But:

"Researchers have found that cannabis acts as a 'gateway' drug, because exposure during adolescence primes the system to crave the chemical stimulation of hard drugs."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-394077/Early-cannabis-abuse-leads-heroin-addiction.html

Sorry, what is the point of this article? I said Cannabis is a gateway drug if Alcohol is.

I didn't say that Chronic Cannabis users require show exactly the same physiological response as Non Drug Users.
Original post by Heeee

Researchers from the Research Drugs Policy Center found quite the opposite. The research was also backed by the UK charity Drugscope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2538065.stm

This is seriously old news, quite literally.
Reply 46
Researchers from the Research Drugs Policy Center found quite the opposite. The research was also backed by the UK charity Drugscope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2538065.stm

This is seriously old news, quite literally.

Ok but can you prove that cannabis isn't a gateway to herion? Considering the majority if heroin users started off with cannabis?
Original post by SHOO
Giving a dose of free heroin to ensure a customer returns for a longer period of time is far more beneficial to the dealer.. The cost of heroin isn't even much.. You can get heroin for around £25 or so for a "go"

How common do you think it is then, per kg of weed sold how much of it is laced?
Reply 48
Sorry, what is the point of this article? I said Cannabis is a gateway drug if Alcohol is.

I didn't say that Chronic Cannabis users require show exactly the same physiological response as Non Drug Users.

Yes, read the relevant part.. The part I quoted
Reply 49
How common do you think it is then, per kg of weed sold how much of it is laced?

I wouldn't make this up if I didn't see it happen. Like I said, from the people I deal with through work.. It seems pretty common. It might just be exclusive to my area (i.e the drug dealers of my area) - but I've seen it happen plenty of times to rule out the possibility of it being an anomaly.

So, I can see why it may sound ridiculous to you..

With regards to your next question, I wouldn't know the exact measurements
Original post by SHOO
Weed can be "laced" with heroin.

I'm not entirely sure about the pharmacology of this but it is a common phenomenon - it does happen.

Also, heroin can be smoked..

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/heroin

Well if it is happening, (and I highly doubt it, just media fearmongering imo) the dealers doing it are idiots and are only wasting their product.

Whilst the term "smoked" is used colloquially, it is not actually smoking, the technical term would be vapourising. You heat it up on a spoon/foil until it simmers and vapours are released, and you inhale them. Smoking heroin like you would a cigarette or a cannabis joint will destroy the heroin and have NO effect whatsoever, as I quite clearly explained in my previous post.
Original post by SHOO
I'm not making anything up. I wouldn't suggest such a correlation if I didn't see it almost every one of the methadone patients I deal with?

How can one even prove that cannabis is a gateway drug? You can't really conduct an experiment that would prove it, all you can go on is what's already out there.

What? No. She tried cannabis and she said "it didn't do the job for me", and then she took heroin.

Well, you can prove it. If Cannabis users actually required harder drugs, then the majority of Cannabis users would require Heroin or harder drugs after use.

The fact that every methadone patient used Cannabis at one point or another is quite irrelevant. I am sure they also used Alcohol at some point.

Yes. Your patient would never have got any satisfaction from Cannabis. So, it was never a gateway drug. She might as well would have gone straight onto Heroin.
Reply 52
Original post by MosesofNAz
Hi,

To answer your question directly, this is a business, there has and always will be a high demand for these substances. People will be exploited due to the illegality of the process, unfortunately resulting in criminal organisations taking profit off poor production/ distribution of bad products. I'm not saying I know the solution but It could be done in a safer way for the people using licensed chemists. The only way forward is to make sure the people in our society, the 'users' you so speak of get the 'safest' and by that i mean 'purest' substances available. Almost all death related incidents are a result of a concoction of chemicals that are not in a stable form. Lacing cheap MDMA with daz for example..

I do not agree with recreational use of specific substances but it is hard when there is such a vast generalisation of the term 'drug'. Is a drug to you something only considered illegal?

Addiction is usually triggered off as a result of past or present trauma. Unfortunately you can become addicted very easily to anything from drugs (including alcohol), to McDonald's. Although when someone has an addiction to food, we tend to assume the person is the problem, not the Big Macs. This is the same with drugs, although weirdly society has it backwards and identifies the substances as the initial problem. This is again is due to the illegality. People only turn up for help when they really have a problem, as who wants a criminal record right? These people give a biased and poor representation of our society. It's like labelling everyone who drinks an alcoholic.

New groundbreaking chemicals are being developed each day and we need to continue studying their pharmacological effects. These chemicals should be used for what they were initially intended for, to help people with real issues.

Summary of rant:

With drugs people are victims of their own demise. "So good God man handle your ****!"

Addiction to a Big Mac is no where near the same addiction to cannabis or heroin. You won't withdraw if you eat a Big Mac regularly

But, apart from that I pretty much agree
Original post by Heeee
Yes, read the relevant part.. The part I quoted

No, it is irrelevant for the reasons I mentioned.

If Cannabis is a gateway drug then so is Alcohol.

Furthermore, Cannabis isn't the closest of the three. You are just making things up.

Even the study is garbage. All it shows is that Young Rats on Chronically exposed to Cannabis take more Heroin. Big deal. That was not my claim.
Original post by SHOO
I wouldn't make this up if I didn't see it happen. Like I said, from the people I deal with through work.. It seems pretty common. It might just be exclusive to my area (i.e the drug dealers of my area) - but I've seen it happen plenty of times to rule out the possibility of it being an anomaly.

So, I can see why it may sound ridiculous to you..

With regards to your next question, I wouldn't know the exact measurements

I'm sure it does happen, but it is far from common. It happened to one of my friends in Thailand. However from personal experience it is not a common occurrence.
Reply 55
Well, you can prove it. If Cannabis users actually required harder drugs, then the majority of Cannabis users would require Heroin or harder drugs after use.

The fact that every methadone patient used Cannabis at one point or another is quite irrelevant. I am sure they also used Alcohol at some point.

Yes. Your patient would never have got any satisfaction from Cannabis. So, it was never a gateway drug. She might as well would have gone straight onto Heroin.

When I referred to the methadone patients using cannabis previously, I meant that when I asked "why did you start" or "what made you start", they all tend to say cannabis was the trigger.

Ok, I understand your point. Addiction is subjective though, and in almost every case that I've seen so far, it's been cannabis that's been the gateway drug.

No one knows what drugs will do to them until they're under the influence of them, and for the methadone patients that I deal with, well they were all under the impression that most people are when they start cannabis - that it's harmless and wouldn't lead to anything.

That's why I'm against it's use
Original post by SHOO

Which points more towards chronically low levels of neurotransmitters in the brain - particularly dopamine - and a reduced sense of a neurological reward system rather than cannabis being a gateway drug.
Reply 57
I'm sure it does happen, but it is far from common. It happened to one of my friends in Thailand. However from personal experience it is not a common occurrence.

That's probably where the general disagreement between the two of us stems from. Whilst you points are valid, from my personal experience (and I deal with around 300 explicit drug users) a lot of them have said that this has happened to them. Of course, it could all be bull**** and it could be used as an alibi to claim innocence, but when it happens to more than just a handful, you begin to question it.

Regardless of how often it does happen however, it's such a shallow thing to do by the drug dealers :/ in which case.. If we refer to my original post - would your classify you friend as a victim?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by minimarshmallow
Which points more towards chronically low levels of neurotransmitters in the brain - particularly dopamine - and a reduced sense of a neurological reward system rather than cannabis being a gateway drug.

It does in this case yes.

It would also do the same with chronic use of MDMA, where seratonin is released in such large quantities that for the more frequent users, more MDMA is required.. Or straight after the effects if it wear out, they become really depressed because of the lack of seratonin.. Which again could be a potential gateway.

But forget the MDMA for now, would you say that this lady was a victim of traumatic circumstances in her life? Or is it her own fault for reverting to drugs?
Reply 59
Original post by SHOO
That's probably where the general disagreement between the two of us stems from. Whilst you points are valid, from my personal experience (and I deal with around 300 explicit drug users) a lot of them have said that this has happened to them.

Well theres your problem, heavy drug users are prone to spouting bull****, fantasy and delusions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending