Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a Q for people with computer knowledge.
    Recently, my aunt got a laptop, and it doesn't work properly, so i've been given the task of sorting it out.
    It just starts up with the Compaq logo, and press F10 for Rom something, and then comes up with the error message NTLDR not present. Please restart.
    I cant access the bios or anything, and it wont bring up anything else on the screen.

Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Take it back and get a new one or try to reinstall windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Take it back and get a new one or try to reinstall windows.
    It wont start up from the windows CD, so that can't be done.

ReputationRep:
    How old is it?

ReputationRep:
    How old is it?
    I think its about 6 months old, although she got it about a week ago i think.

ReputationRep:
    Take it back. There is no reason to have to fix a computer after you have had it only a week. There should be like a 90 take back thing or something. Laptops are a pain in the as* to fix so you shouldn't have to work on it. If the place won't take it back then report them to the better bussiness bureau or whatever ya'll have over there.

ReputationRep:
    Take it back. There is no reason to have to fix a computer after you have had it only a week. There should be like a 90 take back thing or something. Laptops are a pain in the as* to fix so you shouldn't have to work on it. If the place won't take it back then report them to the better bussiness bureau or whatever ya'll have over there.
    No, she got it from a friend, so she can't really take it back.

ReputationRep:
    NTLDR stands for "NT Loader". It is a second level boot device, and you cant start without it. However, you can download the six floppy disks from the Microsoft website for XP Home, and, with the "floppy" as the first boot device in BIOS (this is default, so if you have not played with BIOS, it is already set), insert the first disk and start the computer. Follow the instructions until the point it switched to the cd rom (you have to have xp home in the cd drive), and detects that there is already an installation present in drive c. You can either install new verion, or make a "repair". Repair it, and it should reload NTLDR.

This is generally the way to fix it, but if you cant boot with the XP cd in, and you cant enter BIOS then I cant help Im afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    NTLDR stands for "NT Loader". It is a second level boot device, and you cant start without it. However, you can download the six floppy disks from the Microsoft website for XP Home, and, with the "floppy" as the first boot device in BIOS (this is default, so if you have not played with BIOS, it is already set), insert the first disk and start the computer. Follow the instructions until the point it switched to the cd rom (you have to have xp home in the cd drive), and detects that there is already an installation present in drive c. You can either install new verion, or make a "repair". Repair it, and it should reload NTLDR.

This is generally the way to fix it, but if you cant boot with the XP cd in, and you cant enter BIOS then I cant help Im afraid
    The machine doesn't have a floppy drive, but the CD drive is the first boot i think, but booting from XP doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    The machine doesn't have a floppy drive, but the CD drive is the first boot i think, but booting from XP doesn't work.
    ARGH. I was gonna suggest to check the BIOS to make sure, but just read that you can't. How come? Does it give any sort of error message?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.