The Student Room Group

New Sixth Form!

Hi everyone,

This September I am starting sixth form and am starting at a new school. I've been at my current school since year 3 and before that I went to the 'feeder' school. Because of this I have been with the same people and the same sort of people since I was 4 i.e. All girls! My new school is mixed and since I have never needed to make completely new friends I am very nervous. My new school takes up to 30 new students at sixth form so there will be others feeling the same as me, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give on making new friends etc. it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply 1
Try to be as friendly as possible, and don't just sit in a corner in silence. Talk to people sitting next to you in lessons (when appropriate). Provided you make an effort, you shouldn't have any trouble making new friends.
Reply 2
don't keep talking about your previous school.

eg. "in my old school we used to _____"

It gets really annoying after a while. Perhaps only mention it if its really interesting if not don't do I more than twice. No one really cares.
I must admit... this is going to sound rubbish right but just be you. People will like you, and some won't. As with every school. It's just the way it works. I'm never anything but myself and I find making friends easy... I'm sure you'll be fine just be friendly, smile, and be yourself. Oh, and also, it's good if you make the effort to talk to the new people and stuff. They'll like you showing you are actually bothered aha!

Good luck at your new sixth :smile: x
The vast majority of students mature from Secondary Education into further education, so in that aspect you have greater chance.

I went to a college in Essex ( I live in East London ) where only 1 person I knew went there, I eventually left there with more than enough friends, that I made for life.

Just be yourself and don't try to be someone you're not as eventually you will be caught out, making friends is the easy part. It's keeping friends that's the hard part!

Good luck!
I've just finished my first year of A levels after moving to a new school for sixth form, and if I'm honest I was terrified of starting somewhere that I didn't know anyone. It didn't take very long to make friends so you have nothing to worry about. I'm generally quite an awkward person so I sometimes find it difficult to talk to people but I somehow managed to make heaps of friends by just speaking to people. I went from having not much confidence to befriending a majority of those in my year group and year 13 students too so I guarantee you'll be fine. If you have a common room then spend some time in there and get to know everyone, that's what I did and it worked out. Make an effort with those in your classes/form and eventually you'll have a ton of friends. The only thing you can do is be yourself and interact with those around you. Good luck with your new sixth form!

Quick Reply

Latest