Have no Idea what to apply for... Help?

Watch
InAHopelessStait
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm torn, between a doing an English degree, a Film Studies degree or a media studies degree.. I am so torn because I have little time to decide.. As I can only write one personal statement, I need to choose one and that's messing with my head because I love them all.. Advice please?
CheGuava
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Film studies and media would have a similar personal statement, which would save you some time.

What do you want to do more, and what will be better to do. Think about how you will feel in a year. I wanted to do medicine, then last minute I changed my mind to French. Now I am going off to do French.

Just have a good think, don't just go for what you might feel at the moment.
AmisThysia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are two aspects to this question: that of the heart and that of the mind.
You must obviously consider what you truly want to do for the rest of your life; where your passions and interests really lie, and what will captivate you enough to invest monetarily and emotionally in it through university and your career. There is only one way to figure this out, and that is careful introspection.
The other aspect is of a practical bent. You have to consider what doors are opened and closed by whatever decision you make. How employable is a Film Studies graduate against an English graduate, for example? What paths are possible that would allow you to do both? I have a friend who's doing English at university to increase their employability, but is planning to go to film school afterwards.
Once you've researched and thought about these two aspects, you can weigh up the pros and cons of each choice and make your decision.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by InAHopelessStait)
I'm torn, between a doing an English degree, a Film Studies degree or a media studies degree.. I am so torn because I have little time to decide.. As I can only write one personal statement, I need to choose one and that's messing with my head because I love them all.. Advice please?
There's no rush - you've got until January to put in your application. If you're unsure then I would recommend using as much of that time as needed to decide.

Ideally you should chose one subject and write your PS around that - if you try to make it fit more than one then you're unlikely to do yourself justice.

Firstly have a look at which universities you would apply to if you chose each of your 3 subjects, have a look at the modules available, what their students say, NSS results, employability stats (both of these are on unistats website).

THEN write 3 personal statements (the PS builder tool on TSR is worth using to help you https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/per...ement_builder/ ). By the time you've articulated in a PS why you want to do each subject my guess is that you will start to understand which subject you REALLY want to study .
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by InAHopelessStait)
Hey, I've just moved this to clearing, applications and UCAS

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThePoet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never knew you could apply for courses this late in the process.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThePoet)
I never knew you could apply for courses this late in the process.
OP is applying for 2015 entry
hattiemcbinky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you choose a university which offers each of them, there's the possibility of starting one and if you change your mind, they can often allow you to switch the subject you study in your second year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads