The Student Room Group

2014 AS/A2 Results Day (Thursday 14th August) Official Thread - Mark 2 - Tomorrow!!!

Poll

Is the current UCAS system flawed and in need of reform?

Welcome to the new thread everyone!

Best of luck for Results Day, it'll be upon us in the blink of an eye now! :wink:

Post your thoughts, hopes and predictions for results day, and, once the day arrives, your results! Good Luck!

FAQs
Many thanks to PQ for writing these.

Have mark schemes been released?
Markschemes are available to teachers. Officially, they are not meant to be released to students yet but if you search hard online, you may be able to find them.

When do grade boundaries get released?
There is no exact time for when grade boundaries are released. However, they are often released a day or so before results.

When can I collect my results from school/college?
That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the time then ring them up on Wednesday the 13th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?
Again this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?
UCAS get the results from the exam boards on Friday 8th August. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday.

Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?
Track will go live between 6 and 8am on results day. UCAS are saying 8am - it might go live earlier. It WON'T go live at midnight.

At that point EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.

Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people last year didn't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they had to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance unis.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 6am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get ready to collect your results from School.

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!!!
NO - lots of people last year (and the year before) met their offer but Track hadn't updated. Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.

If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've imssed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.

In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....some of them got a definite rejection. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!!!
NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers. If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go into School/College expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Other awesome stuff
COUNTDOWN:
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20140814T06&p0=136&fg1=00 7746&fg2=ff6724&msg=A-Level+Results+Day

GUIDES TO RESULTS DAY:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A-Level_results_day
http://www.studential.com/applying/guide-to-A-level-results-day

MISSING CONDITIONAL OFFER:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2434073

CLEARING/ADJUSTMENT:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4497-expecting-to-be-in-clearing-or-adjustment-in-2014

STUDENT PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS:
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

FLOW CHART:
Results day flowchart.pdf

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The 10,000th post was such a profound post. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407360884.330802.jpg

Seriously though, the power of ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Less than 8 days

Just sayin'
(edited 9 years ago)
:woo:
Reply 4
We should have a new poll! :biggrin:
Good luck to everyone. May the Fourteenth of August be with you. Shoutout to anyone who has their birthday on that day like myself.
I got the last post though :wink:
Any way we can get post stats from the previous thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timeywimey
The 10,000th post was such a profound post. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407360884.330802.jpg

Seriously though, the power of ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha I wanted to delete it but the thread got closed. I really don't care about being 10,000th poster (heat of the moment thing)
Original post by DominikS
We should have a new poll! :biggrin:

We should! Something a little better than the last maybe?
Can we have the countdown back in the title?
Reply 11
I can't keep up with all these comments :frown:
Proud of us guys :tongue:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Hahaha I wanted to delete it but the thread got closed. I really don't care about being 10,000th poster (heat of the moment thing)

It is an unique moment, you should be pleased :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can we hit 10,000 posts again? Last year they needed a third thread on results day, let's beat their record!
Hello! I want to respond to Pj secker and titration as follows - so look for me because I cba with PMs.

Pj - I love Cardiff to bits, fingers crossed we get into our respective Unis!

Titration - My teachers tend to take failed grades personally, especially my Biology teacher and when I didn't do well in a chemistry mock one time she was kind enough to comfort me. I don't want to get them all upset too!
Reply 16
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar

I was gonna suggest Results or Track first but then I remembered that there are AS people in this thread :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar

Something a bit more meaningful, a bit more serious.

e.g favourite pizza toppings, favourite biscuit
I hope this is as good with the last one with food discussions and creepy dreams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
Good luck to everyone. May the Fourteenth of August be with you. Shoutout to anyone who has their birthday on that day like myself.

Happy birthday in 8 days!

Latest