Have you ever read a book that you USED to love and now absolutely hate? Watch

Emememily733
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It's the weirdest thing.
6 years ago, age 14, I walked into Waterstones and picked out Twilight. I was absolutely hooked from page 1. I read all four books is no time at all and was addicted, I cried when I finished them, felt as though I'd lost someone I loved in Edward, a family in the Cullens and .. crap I just loved the books. You'll know what I mean if you've ever got totally lost in fiction, like I felt it was my private world. This was before any of the films etc.

So anyhoo, I was sorting through my old stuff the other week, and found my twilight books stashed away in a corner.. I thought, why not, I'll read my old faves again. It took me until 3/4 of the way through of the first one to realise I literally cannot stand the books, the characters, any of it. But I kept reading because.. I wanted to make sue. Bella is a self-absorbed, selfish a-hole, no personality, no redeeming features, just a total blank.. there's no wit or charm or anything.. there's nothing.. Edward is so controlling that it's not even cute.. it's not even nice, it's just freaking WEIRD. His personality doesn't cover much other than control and possessive. All he does is manipulate bella, stop bella from doing stuff and tell her he loves her.. that's it. There is nothing else to his personality! The only good, likeable character is Jacob, but he isn't enough to keep me reading.

I am so, so shocked that I ever liked these books.
I guess it shows how different I was 6 years ago to now.

So yeah. Do you ever have that? A book you loved years ago, read it again and it's like.. wow no.
anonymouspie227
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emememily733)
It's the weirdest thing.
6 years ago, age 14, I walked into Waterstones and picked out Twilight. I was absolutely hooked from page 1. I read all four books is no time at all and was addicted, I cried when I finished them, felt as though I'd lost someone I loved in Edward, a family in the Cullens and .. crap I just loved the books. You'll know what I mean if you've ever got totally lost in fiction, like I felt it was my private world. This was before any of the films etc.

So anyhoo, I was sorting through my old stuff the other week, and found my twilight books stashed away in a corner.. I thought, why not, I'll read my old faves again. It took me until 3/4 of the way through of the first one to realise I literally cannot stand the books, the characters, any of it. But I kept reading because.. I wanted to make sue. Bella is a self-absorbed, selfish a-hole, no personality, no redeeming features, just a total blank.. there's no win or charm or anything.. there's nothing.. Edward is so controlling that it's not even cute.. it's not even nice, it's just freaking WEIRD. His personality doesn't cover much other than control and possessive. All he does is manipulate bella, stop bella from doing stuff and tell her he loves her.. that's it. There is nothing else to his personality! The only good, likeable character is Jacob, but he isn't enough to keep me reading.

I am so, so shocked that I ever liked these books.
I guess it shows how different I was 6 years ago to now.

So yeah. Do you ever have that? A book you loved years ago, read it again and it's like.. wow no.
Hmm, I used to really like Fan fiction and now I can't stand it. I also used to love Werewolf stories lol.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The same thing with the Twilight series happened to me as well. Just a part of growing up - you have to adjust the maturity of books, TV Shows and movies to suit you as you mature.

When I was 9 or 10 I absolutely hated shows like Mock the Week and HIGNFY but one day the humour just clicked for me and I loved it. Now, the only reason I would enjoy read a Harry Potter book again is for the nostalgia rather than the enjoyment of the actual story. JKR's writing and ideas are better for children - I'm sure none of her future adult stuff would be successful at all if it weren't for her pseudonym getting out.
Emememily733
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingKumar)
The same thing with the Twilight series happened to me as well. Just a part of growing up - you have to adjust the maturity of books, TV Shows and movies to suit you as you mature.

When I was 9 or 10 I absolutely hated shows like Mock the Week and HIGNFY but one day the humour just clicked for me and I loved it. Now, the only reason I would enjoy read a Harry Potter book again is for the nostalgia rather than the enjoyment of the actual story. JKR's writing and ideas are better for children - I'm sure none of her future adult stuff would be successful at all if it weren't for her pseudonym getting out.
See I literally think I will always love Harry Potter. Always. It's a part of me now, I read the books lately and still loved them.. love the films too.. I'm sure it is about maturity with a lot of people but I reckon with me it's just.. probably when I was 14 I must have been a total ******* to enjoy those books and empathise with the people in them, and now (hopefully) I'm not such a nob so now I just can't stand the characters..
I prefer characters with redeeming traits and substance, whether they be in young adult fiction or adult fiction..
I love mock the week too btw, so funny.
JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend had the same thing with Twilight.

I personally, read the first Harry Potter book and was actually disappointed... I still love Harry Potter but it wasn't as well written as it was said to have been.
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anonymouspie227)
Hmm, I used to really like Fan fiction and now I can't stand it. I also used to love Werewolf stories lol.
Lol the smut
SimpsP
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The third hunger games *shudders*
WBrownx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Twilight! LOL basically all my vampire/supernatural teen books. I went though the phase....
WBrownx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SimpsP)
Haha me too it really ruined the whole franchise. I can't read the other two without the realisation of the finale.
SimpsP
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WBrownx)
Haha me too it really ruined the whole franchise. I can't read the other two without the realisation of the finale.
Adored the other two, even thought the films were good.
I just remember thinking about the third one and slowly hating the whole thing.
My mocking jay pin now sits abandoned on a shelf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emememily733
Rep:
?
I really loved the ending though.. Peeta being her dandelion.. rebirth and life being good again .. aw. (:
SimpsP
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really loved the ending though.. Peeta being her dandelion.. rebirth and life being good again .. aw. (:
See I'm a bit of a gale fan. Another reason why I didn't like the third so much
Emememily733
Rep:
?
See I'm a bit of a gale fan. Another reason why I didn't like the third so much
Yeah.. I get that.. I just always liked Peeta more, just his calmness and his dandelion-in-the-spring-ness and the whole seeming to radiate light from his heart-ness (apart from when he turns crazy for a while).. Kinda got jealous of Katniss for a while haha, I want Peeta! Gale had his attractions too though.. I just knew from the start who I vouched for x)

This is making me want to read the series again..
I'm already started on the sookie stackhouse collection though..
SimpsP
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah.. I get that.. I just always liked Peeta more, just his calmness and his dandelion-in-the-spring-ness and the whole seeming to radiate light from his heart-ness (apart from when he turns crazy for a while).. Kinda got jealous of Katniss for a while haha, I want Peeta! Gale had his attractions too though.. I just knew from the start who I vouched for x)

This is making me want to read the series again..
I'm already started on the sookie stackhouse collection though..
Spending most of this summer reading has been my saving grace from results day nerves
Emememily733
Rep:
?
Spending most of this summer reading has been my saving grace from results day nerves
I love getting lost in books.. it's really like nothing else. It's basically the same feeling I used to get when I was 5 and could make an imaginary world out of a large, empty cardboard box..

magiiiicccc
SimpsP
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love getting lost in books.. it's really like nothing else. It's basically the same feeling I used to get when I was 5 and could make an imaginary world out of a large, empty cardboard box..

magiiiicccc
Yup, books are the best, I've read a couple this summer where I've been up till 4 finishing them, nothing beats a book you can't out down
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used to love reading a few fan-fics about a year ago, yet recently I tried to re-read them and found them really boring and poorly written.
29Bilal96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A Series of Unfortunate Events...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads