The Student Room Group

Advanced Placement in the UK

Hi guys,

I'm a UK-based student looking to enrol at an American college and I was wondering if anyone could share some of their insight about AP in the UK. As far as I'm aware, there are no (or next-to-no) AP centres in the UK, so would the only way to do an AP course be to travel to the US? Or can I use my A-Level results as AP? I've heard they're considered the equivalent of AP by colleges, but is this official?

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to use A-levels in place of APs at the majority of US unis. You may want to double check with the individual US unis you are interested in. APs are actually not required in order to apply even for American students.
Which unis are you interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
APs are not required for university entry, and there are many US schools that don't even offer them. Most people take them because they're upper-level courses, and students also get credit for them once at university.
However, A-Levels are just as good, if not better. You don't get credit for all A-Levels (depends on the subject, the uni & the grade you get), but for many you do. There is a debate about which one is more difficult, and I'd say the A-Levels.
And no, you can't take APs in the UK, but that shouldn't be a problem by any means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending