The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Languages??

Hi guys, just wondering what uni's you think/know are best for studying languages (mainly French, but possibly beginner in another language too) Ones that have good opportunities to study abroad! Thank youuu:biggrin:
Warwick is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Warwick is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll have a look :-)

Thats really helpful thank you, happy to see Southampton is towards the top, because thats not too far away, but ill have to look into the entry requirements for Durham and Warwick if they're right up there with the best! :-)
As expected, the usual suspects are great for languages (Oxbridge, Durham, etc.) but I think Newcastle and Edinburgh have really good departments, so might be worth checking them out. :smile:
Original post by DylanJ96
As expected, the usual suspects are great for languages (Oxbridge, Durham, etc.) but I think Newcastle and Edinburgh have really good departments, so might be worth checking them out. :smile:
thank you, although sadly it seems the best unis other than Oxbridge are pretty North, and I live on the south coast, probably will have to compromise best uni/ location / entry grades!
Original post by coucouChar1997
thank you, although sadly it seems the best unis other than Oxbridge are pretty North, and I live on the south coast, probably will have to compromise best uni/ location / entry grades!

Well, if it puts your mind at east, although Newcastle and Edinburgh (and most top universities in the north) are pretty far north, a typical day walking though either campus puts you right back down south again via student population. :wink:
Original post by DylanJ96
Well, if it puts your mind at east, although Newcastle and Edinburgh (and most top universities in the north) are pretty far north, a typical day walking though either campus puts you right back down south again via student population. :wink:

Good point haha :wink: just wish they were closer! Oh well :P

What about Bristol, Bath, Exeter and UCL? They're down South and have fantastic language departments :smile:
Think about the course itself. Do you want a literature-heavy course, or not?
Although league tables can help you make your decision, it's worth looking at different factors. Do you want a big department or a small department? Do you want to study abroad in a certain place? How many places do the university offer for the course? What is the course like? Entry requirements? Do you want to study in a city university or a campus university? Do you want to be far away from home?

I live in London and I am thinking of doing German and Manchester is somewhere where I'd really like to go because it just seems right for me - a big university, a big place and loads of opportunities as well as a great course and the city has a really nice vibe to it.

All Russell Group universities allow you to pick up other things and are really research intensive. So even if you are studying French, there is nothing stopping you picking up modules in Economics and Russian, for example.

From my research, Newcastle have quite a nice sized MFL department and you can easily mix languages. Sheffield and Newcastle both seem to offer more 'obscure' languages to supplement languages that you are learning. As a German learner, Newcastle and Sheffield offer Dutch at beginners level and even venture into Luxembourgish studies. I'm not sure what they offer for French, but it's definitely worth a look.
Thank you all, I live in Weymouth so moving far away to a uni would be a difficult thing to do, but not impossible, your comments have all really helped me to get a better idea of whats out there, and what possible opportunities I have, I do know the area of France id like to have my third year abroad, so that would also be a factor, as well as obviously various entry grades, distance, the area and what the individual modules include, also studying beginner languages would be pretty cool to open more windows ;-) thanks for your help guys! :-)
Thank you all, I live in Weymouth so moving far away to a uni would be a difficult thing to do, but not impossible, your comments have all really helped me to get a better idea of whats out there, and what possible opportunities I have, I do know the area of France id like to have my third year abroad, so that would also be a factor, as well as obviously various entry grades, distance, the area and what the individual modules include, also studying beginner languages would be pretty cool to open more windows ;-) thanks for your help guys! :-)

I'M GOING ON HOLIDAY THERE ON MONDAY OR TUESDAY AND I'VE ALREADY BEEN THERE FOR A FEW WEEKS THIS HOLIDAY!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford is widely considered the best for languages, but Leeds has an amazing reputation for them as well - If you want to do international relations afterwards you need to make sure you're doing at least two languages
Original post by edminzodo
i'm going on holiday there on monday or tuesday and i've already been there for a few weeks this holiday!

posted from tsr mobile
weymouth is fab ;-)
There is no 'best' university for languages, as languages courses differ a lot, making comparisons hard. For general reputation and a firm grounding in the literature, linguistics and translation of a language, the more traditional universities (Oxford, Durham etc.) are great, but of course you might not want to have such a literature heavy course.

If you want something more practical (with interpretation/wider choice of non-literature modules) you'd be better off looking elsewhere.
I agree that there is no 'best' university for languages, however I feel UCL deserves a special mention just because of the unbelievable range of languages it offers. I still find it amazing that you can do whole degrees in:

Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Yiddish, Greek, Latin , Old Norse, Akkadian, Aramaic, Egyptian, Sumerian, Syriac and Ugaritic

:eek:
Reply 18
Hi guys, just wondering what uni's you think/know are best for studying languages (mainly French, but possibly beginner in another language too) Ones that have good opportunities to study abroad! Thank youuu:biggrin:

Obviously it depends on your degree/course preferences but in terms of international reputation and general student satisfaction, it would have to be UCL without a doubt!! It also has some of the best international links I've ever seen for a university. I'm there studying German & beginners' Russian, and it dwarfed the other universities I applied for. Plus it's in London!! I hope you find the right one for you :smile:
Like everyone else has said, I think it depends a lot on what you want to get out of your degree. If you like English Literature already, then courses which are very literature-based might be the ones for you :smile: I know this applies to places like Oxford.

I was really drawn in by Bristol, personally. The courses are very flexible for second and fourth years, and you can choose your modules such as literature, history or culture (such as art and politics). This is all relevant unless the course has changed! I'd recommend checking it out though, they have a really good reputation from what I've heard. I've heard Leeds is really good if you want to do something like international relations or politics with the language(s) and apparently Southampton is pretty good, too. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending