The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do you think of people on benefits who purchase luxuries?

Scroll to see replies

Lol at TV a luxury, is a freezer a luxury? A basic LCD TV, let alone a used one, is very cheap these days. I mean these people have no work, anyone out of work for some time knows it can be pretty soul destroying applying for job after job, rejections, or just no responses. God forbid someone is able to have any time relaxing watching some entertainment on freeview. Same with a laptop, laptop or desktop, the internet is crucial for modern day life, the internet is a key aspect of job hunting these days, I mean I'm not saying its a human right, but damn the internet is becoming as important as electricity to modern life. A cheap laptop is often cheaper than a desktop, so again, so wrong someone has one?

Also if someone loses their job, so they should sell all their possessions and sit in an empty room staring at the wall as punishment, because it sure as hell sounds like that's what many people here want.

It's just ******* hilarious really. Middle/Upper class teenagers/twenty somethings who have no clue about the real world, no loans you don't have to pay back for an age to carry you, or the bank/home of mummy and daddy. Those disgusting lower class individuals, how dare they have any sort of life, they are not in employment and this time and when one is not a net contributor to the nations coffers, one gives up all of ones human rights, for one is but an animal....yeah, sure thing. Hope to hell there's never another economic downturn which impacts on your profession, though I assume to stand by the courage of your convictions you'll take a long walk off a short pier as you'd rather die than be one of those scum accepting state support.
Original post by Moosferatu
Posts like this sicken me. So the answer is what? Completely destroy those on the bottom of society in order to make them poor enough to make you feel better? Do you want the poor on the streets and dying of disease? Without food and shelter? Just because that's the way it should be to make tiresome individuals like you be able to sleep well at night knowing you're not in their situation? What?

Most of what you wrote is right-wing gutter press fantasy anyway, Have you actually been on any council estates recently? Because they haven't suddenly transformed into miniature palaces. I'm really glad that, while struggling, the poor of this country aren't living in complete destitution, but evidently if you had your way that'd be the case.

Moosferatu.. I am simply stating fact. That is how it was and things are much better now. In that era "the poor" were afforded food and shelter as they are now. I expect that your life experience is but a fraction of mine and you are far to quick to attack.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Two options to tackle this. Improve pay for those in work or force the jobless back into prostitution.

I dont think either is applicable. I think that "the poor" are well catered for in this country though there will be some exceptions such as single white males who, if they fall on hard times, are left to rot in the gutter for they have no priority for housing or welfare.
Original post by Bloxorus
I am not having a rant at disabled people who are unable to work, I am referring to people who are unemployed.

In my opinion the unemployed should not be entitled to holidays and other luxury items. There are plenty of people who go out to work each day, pay their taxes, take the bare minimum from the state and are still unable to afford such luxuries. Why should someone who is not working be entitled to things that normal people aren't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think wages are low in part because of immigration and outsourcing and in part because people allow them to be low i.e. the Unions were all sold off (thanks Mum and Dad) and people don't feel like they can unionise now and strike against their employer or demand higher pay. It's even frowned upon to discuss salary and some companies even (illegally) tell you not to discuss it! Nice little move so that you keep silent so don't get pissed off that someone earns more than you for the same job....

To address your post. I think that it's actually a good thing for people in work that people on benefits are allowed luxuries and not just given food stamps or something. The reaction most people have who are on a low wage about people on benefits is that it's not fair and they only earn x amount so why should they support them? However if the lowest denominator of a nation is a base level of luxury then at some point employees WILL demand more from their employers as just by being employed they are sociologically better than the unemployed. In other words if the lowest level of a nation is living on the streets totally unsupported or given the basic means of survival than people will be even MORE thankful for any job and just remain quiet and demand nothing.

That's my thought on it anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
Lol at TV a luxury, is a freezer a luxury? A basic LCD TV, let alone a used one, is very cheap these days. I mean these people have no work, anyone out of work for some time knows it can be pretty soul destroying applying for job after job, rejections, or just no responses. God forbid someone is able to have any time relaxing watching some entertainment on freeview. Same with a laptop, laptop or desktop, the internet is crucial for modern day life, the internet is a key aspect of job hunting these days, I mean I'm not saying its a human right, but damn the internet is becoming as important as electricity to modern life. A cheap laptop is often cheaper than a desktop, so again, so wrong someone has one?

Also if someone loses their job, so they should sell all their possessions and sit in an empty room staring at the wall as punishment, because it sure as hell sounds like that's what many people here want.

It's just ******* hilarious really. Middle/Upper class teenagers/twenty somethings who have no clue about the real world, no loans you don't have to pay back for an age to carry you, or the bank/home of mummy and daddy. Those disgusting lower class individuals, how dare they have any sort of life, they are not in employment and this time and when one is not a net contributor to the nations coffers, one gives up all of ones human rights, for one is but an animal....yeah, sure thing. Hope to hell there's never another economic downturn which impacts on your profession, though I assume to stand by the courage of your convictions you'll take a long walk off a short pier as you'd rather die than be one of those scum accepting state support.

What do you think about my post (above)?

I think trying to keep low wage workers satisfied that they are not at the bottom of the heap, when they basically are in comparison to the previous generation anyway, might be the real truth behind the demonising of those on benefits from on high, which for some reason is lapped up on this forum.
Reply 125
I work 36 hours per week, I live in a one bed flat trying to support my kids and my bills it is rediculous how hard it is for someone who is employed to have to struggle so much just to get by I worked 3 jobs on the past to just about be able to afford anything for myself I have always worked and I have nothing to show for it, I will admit I understand why a lot of people are on benefits don't get me wrong the only issue I have is with the people who pick up there benefits buy there new things and start flashing them off to people who can't afford I have had it so many times I almost felt like getting rid of my job and signing on that's how bad it is these days, that's why nobody works anymore it's easier not to
Reply 126
That sums it up about right
Original post by Limpopo
I dont think either is applicable. I think that "the poor" are well catered for in this country though there will be some exceptions such as single white males who, if they fall on hard times, are left to rot in the gutter for they have no priority for housing or welfare.

Latest

Trending

Trending