Best place to purchase university essentials?

Watch this thread
Zozzy
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've made the decision that I'm not going to buy any uni stuff until I've got my exam results, but I thinks seeing as that is now less than a week away :eek: I best start getting prepared, just in case if by some miracle I've made the grades XD.

For things like home furnishings i've decided I'm mainly going to stick to B and M/ Primark because as I've been window shopping they seem fairly nice places to buy things from. But some people seem to suggest Ikea. Is the shop any good for home furnishings.

I'm also not sure where to purchase pans from because whilst I don't want to spend too much money on them I don't really want to get ones which will fall apart in six months time, so wheres the best place to buy fairly affordable quality(ish!) ones?

Then the 'luxury' item I guess which I want to buy for myself is a new laptop as my old one is just about 5 years old now and is running really really slowly so now seems like a good time to update it seeing as I'll likely be using it a lot at university. But I was wondering if there are any good deals available on laptops at the moment?

Another slightly random question is are you generally allowed to have candles at university because I love having scented candles at home, but I'm worried these are going to be considered too high of a fire risk when I get to university :/.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading it all if you survived this far XD
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Are you going to halls?
Or private rented?
Generally furnishings you tend to wait until you see your room and then go. Some universities also organise trips to ikea, b&m, primark etc. I got some copper bottomed pans from sainsburys a few months back on sale for 35. Best to look around but you can get decent pans anywhere if you keep an eye out!
Laptop, back to school deals etc are starting so you can usually get student bundles on laptops/ printers etc.
Just keep an eye out for things now its coming up to all the back to school sales!

Besy of luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zozzy)
I've made the decision that I'm not going to buy any uni stuff until I've got my exam results, but I thinks seeing as that is now less than a week away :eek: I best start getting prepared, just in case if by some miracle I've made the grades XD.

For things like home furnishings i've decided I'm mainly going to stick to B and M/ Primark because as I've been window shopping they seem fairly nice places to buy things from. But some people seem to suggest Ikea. Is the shop any good for home furnishings.

I'm also not sure where to purchase pans from because whilst I don't want to spend too much money on them I don't really want to get ones which will fall apart in six months time, so wheres the best place to buy fairly affordable quality(ish!) ones?

Then the 'luxury' item I guess which I want to buy for myself is a new laptop as my old one is just about 5 years old now and is running really really slowly so now seems like a good time to update it seeing as I'll likely be using it a lot at university. But I was wondering if there are any good deals available on laptops at the moment?

Another slightly random question is are you generally allowed to have candles at university because I love having scented candles at home, but I'm worried these are going to be considered too high of a fire risk when I get to university :/.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading it all if you survived this far XD
I got my bedding from Wilkinsons and crockery from Dunelm Mill
Exodecai
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed candles, lava lamps or any other fire-risks at university. You should check your contract (on the uni website?) as it will mention what is allowed and what isn't.
Ems_22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I got a lot of my things for argos, including bedding which is so soft and washes great even after 2 years. Ikea can be good, I got a lovely sheepskin style rug to cover a dull carpet which was only £10.

I use wilko's saucepans which are around £3 and they are pretty good, gone through 2 in 2 years. But I would advise against cheap frying pans, I got a set of two for £3 and within a month or two they were useless. I bought a large one from wilko's which was around £10 which is still going strong after almost two years.

Most halls don't allow candles but if you like having the scent I would recommend a reed diffuser, I had this one http://www.therange.co.uk/champagne-...-product/79831 in halls and the scent lasted nearly the full year unlike some of the other brands I've tried.
Zozzy
Rep:
(Original post by Ems_22)
I got a lot of my things for argos, including bedding which is so soft and washes great even after 2 years. Ikea can be good, I got a lovely sheepskin style rug to cover a dull carpet which was only £10.

I use wilko's saucepans which are around £3 and they are pretty good, gone through 2 in 2 years. But I would advise against cheap frying pans, I got a set of two for £3 and within a month or two they were useless. I bought a large one from wilko's which was around £10 which is still going strong after almost two years.

Most halls don't allow candles but if you like having the scent I would recommend a reed diffuser, I had this one http://www.therange.co.uk/champagne-...-product/79831 in halls and the scent lasted nearly the full year unlike some of the other brands I've tried.
That diffuser looks nice and the link comes from the range, I'd never thought about there. Thanks for the advice about the pans too because I had no idea where would be best to get them from, luckily I've discovered an old frying pan in the back of the cupboard but I still need a normal pan so looks like I'll be paying wilkos a visit
Zozzy
Rep:
(Original post by Exodecai)
I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed candles, lava lamps or any other fire-risks at university. You should check your contract (on the uni website?) as it will mention what is allowed and what isn't.
Yeah I've been checking the uni website but it doesn't seem to be saying anything about not allowing them, think I may hold of buying them anyway until I actually get to university though just in case.
Zozzy
Rep:
(Original post by deviant182)
Are you going to halls?
Or private rented?
Generally furnishings you tend to wait until you see your room and then go. Some universities also organise trips to ikea, b&m, primark etc. I got some copper bottomed pans from sainsburys a few months back on sale for 35. Best to look around but you can get decent pans anywhere if you keep an eye out!
Laptop, back to school deals etc are starting so you can usually get student bundles on laptops/ printers etc.
Just keep an eye out for things now its coming up to all the back to school sales!

Besy of luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks , I'm going into self catered halls so whilst I won't need as much as I would if I was going into rented think I'll still need bits of kitchen stuff too. See I'm (hopefully) going to a cornwall campus so there aren't really any big shops round in the little town its located, the bigger shops would be a 30 mintues bus ride away which would require carrying large volumes of items on the bus, so I sort of want to get my 'homey' stuff before I go then get things which the flat can share potato peelers, chopping boards etc when I arrive
Jamie73
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would go shopping online or just around town and see what deals are available. If you want help finding a laptop perfect for your requirements, post a thread in the laptop board and we'll get you sorted.

I work at sainsburys so I'll most likely use my discount card to buy what I need as I'm not big on shopping. It depends on your needs tbh, i wouldn't need much just a couple of pots/pans, basic utensils, cutlery, plates and that which you can find all over the place

I bought this set though and it's garbage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A...481569&sr=8-1#
demetria
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
For things like baking trays and other kitchen bits and bobs try pound stretcher, very cheap, they also have underbed storage boxes cheap and they do cheap towels too. B and M also have a lot of kitchen stuff, as do Home Bargains, all three of these shops have bedding and cheap towels and laundry stuff too. Ikea is quite expensive for some kitchen utensils but for plates it's really cheap and there's also lots of nice decorative stuff, and some big fabric underbed storage things. If there's no bedding you like in shops try tesco online, they have loads of really cheap bedding! For pans though you're best off getting something decent, my family have pans that have lasted them 18 years whereas I know people who took some cheap wilko's pans to halls and they didn't even last the year before they dropped to bits. TK max (or homesense which is like TK max but without the clothes) is good for the top end pans really cheap
Jamie73
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Pound Stretcher, ESK, TK, Wilkinson, etc...
Darren96
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The Range, Home Bargains and Poundland
francescaf
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Depends on the budget….
Wilko's for bath stuff!!!!

Tesco or Ikea for kitchen stuff. If you can afford it do John Lewis as its nicer quality.

Good Luck!
Jamie73
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I got everything I needed but it came to about £170. This did include a slow cooker and a printer though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads