nonipaify
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why do we integrate 1/(1-y^2) by first expressing this as 1/(1-y)(1+y) and then using the partial fractions and so on... Why don't we just integrate it as ln(1-y^2)/-2y? I have understood how it is done but not WHY. I was told that the partial fraction method is used to integrate rational functions of the form a/b where a and b are both polynomials and in 1/(1-y^2) a, which is 1 is not a polynomial cuz it has no variables... HELP
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nonipaify)
Why do we integrate 1/(1-y^2) by first expressing this as 1/(1-y)(1+y) and then using the partial fractions and so on... Why don't we just integrate it as ln(1-y^2)/-2y? I have understood how it is done but not WHY. I was told that the partial fraction method is used to integrate rational functions of the form a/b where a and b are both polynomials and in 1/(1-y^2) a, which is 1 is not a polynomial cuz it has no variables... HELP
Try differentiating your "answer".
user2020user
Badges: 16
Report 6 years ago
Answering your query as to whether or not a constant is a polynomial, check this out! Also, another way to integrate your integrand would be to use a trigonometric or hyperbolic, which I doubt you've yet to encounter, substitution.
nonipaify
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
Try differentiating your "answer".

I get a really complication expression:

(4y^2/(1-y^2) + 2ln(1-y^2)) / 4y^2

By using the quotient rule...
nonipaify
Rep:
?
(Original post by Khallil)
Answering your query as to whether or not a constant is a polynomial, check this out! Also, another way to integrate your integrand would be to use a trigonometric or hyperbolic, which I doubt you've yet to encounter, substitution.
Are you saying the 1 is actually a polynomial and the expression 1/1-y^2 is indeed a rational function?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get a really complication expression:

(4y^2/(1-y^2) + 2ln(1-y^2)) / 4y^2

By using the quotient rule...
So you have answered your question. The "rule" you were attempting to use doesn't exist.

\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)} dx \neq \frac{\ln f(x)}{f'(x)} + k
user2020user
Badges: 16
Report 6 years ago
Yea ... Also, if you don't end up with your integrand (the function you're integrating) when differentiating your final result, you've gone wrong somewhere!
nonipaify
Rep:
?
Thank you all for the help. Problem solved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads