Entry into IT/Engineering without Uni degree

Watch
for_bro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As the title reads. I finished A-levels recently and for certain reasons, I will not be attending Uni.

Accepting my situation, I'll like you cool people on here to throw ideas my way on how I can gain entry into the IT sector.

Ideally, I will like to do a a job relating to software. As I love learning new languages - I'm currently trying to make an iOS app....and must say I find it fun. Will like to do it as a career.

So any ideas I'm not thinking of?

I've recently thought of Just IT, gone for the interview like meet. Realised I'll have to pay - wondering if this is a smart investment. Also heard of FDM - are these route good or are there any others I'm not thinking of? Like apprenticeships-like jobs in the IT sector.

GUys/girls, I'll appreciate all replies. Don't want to be still while my mates are going through uni.

Look forward to hearing from y'all
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by for_bro)
As the title reads. I finished A-levels recently and for certain reasons, I will not be attending Uni.

Accepting my situation, I'll like you cool people on here to throw ideas my way on how I can gain entry into the IT sector.

Ideally, I will like to do a a job relating to software. As I love learning new languages - I'm currently trying to make an iOS app....and must say I find it fun. Will like to do it as a career.

So any ideas I'm not thinking of?

I've recently thought of Just IT, gone for the interview like meet. Realised I'll have to pay - wondering if this is a smart investment. Also heard of FDM - are these route good or are there any others I'm not thinking of? Like apprenticeships-like jobs in the IT sector.

GUys/girls, I'll appreciate all replies. Don't want to be still while my mates are going through uni.

Look forward to hearing from y'all
Apprenticeship?
for_bro
Rep:
?
Well yeah. Wondering if they exist in the IT/Engineering(software related) field. I might be wrong....kinda clueless
marple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is this any help?

http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/it
for_bro
Rep:
?
wow! cheers. Having a look at it now. Looks promising.

Keep em coming
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Software development is highly rewarding (both financially and in terms of mental stimulation), and definitely doable without a degree if you are very passionate about it, and actively learn everything you can.

I only got minimal formal education in software development (my degree was in electrical engineering, which is totally unrelated), and have no trouble finding employment at all.

They really only look for skills and nothing else... and many CS graduates are quite clueless when it comes to the practical side of things.

Other engineering disciplines are much harder to get into without a degree, because a lot of those things are very hard to learn without an experienced instructor (unlike software dev).

I know plenty of people doing software development either without a degree at all or without a relevant degree. I don't know anyone doing other kinds of engineering without a relevant degree.
for_bro
Rep:
?
so what do you guys think of FDM or Just IT? A good way to break into IT without a degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.24%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (696)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (339)
20.05%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.55%

Watched Threads